Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1986 RX7 Engine Swap

PAH Evo/WRX are for kids with more money than skill
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    PAH Evo/WRX are for kids with more money than skill
    according to who? thats a ridiculous and narrow minded statement.

if you are referring to the 'doof doof' brigade, complete with neon lights and blow off valves that will make your ears bleed, then i can see your point.

if you are referring to a budget porsche, like a true drivers car, then i would say you are mistaken. an evo / wrx will smoke cars double and triple their price, therefore, like i said, represent a valid argument for a budget performance car.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzycarnut View Post
    . an evo / wrx will smoke cars double and triple their price, therefore,
    yeah the evo will, not the driver
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

i guess my point is, evo's and wrx's arnt for kids. they are a drivers car. sure we all see the tards getting around in them with 20 inch wheels and neons, but look past the fast and furious brigade and these cars dont really have any competition for the price. they are often referred to amongst my mates as the 'poor mans Porsche', for good reason too. so when statements like 'PAH Evo/WRX are for kids with more money than skill ...etc' are thrown around, i shake my head at the individual making the claim. the only thing that i have driven that would compare acceleration-wise would be my mates gallardo. its more luxurious, leather etc, has the rock star appeal, but AUD $500k later, its only marginally faster than an evo. give me the evo and dump the rest on a house any day. evo's and wrx's are incredible cars, but unfortunately they dont havnt been portrayed in the best light due to the wanker brigade and their 20 inch subs with their caps turned sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    yeah the evo will, not the driver
    I don't know, Ferrari's 458 Italia seems to have no problems smoking itself and subsequently catching fire.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

LOL i'll pay that.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Depends on definition of "driver"

Even taking the "doof doof brigage" (like it) out of the equation, the EVO and WRXs AWD systems lets a driver get it out of shape and the smarts will get it back.
    The weight means it also is less responsive in turn in.

Real drivers ? For me, lightweight cars that get the basics of handling right. Give more precise feedback, react better to driver input, accelerate like bat out of hell AND best of all brake even better. Get an Evo/WRX up to 600hp and put in HUGE brakes and it gets to offset SOME of these but then it just becomes worse at cornering.

What to do if you disagree is create a new thread for the conversation and happily share experiences Key question - and has a wide range of acceptable answers - is what IS a "drivers car"

PS: Some of my fav "drivers cars" over the years ? Lotus 211, Evora, Elise, VX220, RX-8 (!), Darrian/Davrian, RS200 (granted last two slightly less "practical" ). Lotus 7 copies, bike engined to scare . 911s ( yes even back to 1960s ). Honda Beat ( yes, 600cc and a REAL joy and accurate to place ). Anyways, some of mine. SOme of the horrors ? Works Audi Quattro with 800hp when needed, full factory setup EVO FRQ400 ... a point and squirt beast but just lacking in precision or fun. "ANYONE" could drive it very fast, very little "being part of the machine" feeling So if you want to do comaprisons and understand each point of view please craete the thread. More than happy to discuss diff settings and suspension geomotries to get things closer but still falling short.
    BUT that's coz I like to go round corners.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

matra, my point was in reference to dan's original post regarding the rx7 engine swap, where i pretty much said why bother, imo its a woftam, there are plenty of other more intelligent choices for a car that will get you bang for your buck etc, then advised an evo/wrx may be the way to go if the budget allows etc. so how that has gone off topic is beyond me, but anyhoo. moving on .... i guess if i were after a true drivers car, the definition of which can be debated, but in my mind, its where you can feel the car and be at one with it if you like and also something that you will not die and/or lose your licence in after a day of ownership, it would be rwd, nimble, not over powered, have a sweet shifting manual gearbox, can be tail happy when required, something that provides plenty of feedback, and something else that would make it stand out like being a convertible to add another dimension to the driving experience, by listening attentively to the exhaust on aggressive up and down shifts etc, thats my definition of a true drivers car, and i would say that formula is found in an mx5 / miata, which is funnily enough my next car unless i can find something better.

dan, in relation to the engine swap, i would save my dough, sell the rx7, and get something that would be more reliable. as a side note, i just did a quick search on a used car site here in kangaroo country, and if you are looking for something with a bit of go and you are on a budget, there are r32 gtr skylines going here for around $10K - $15k. (the ultimate budget track weapon?!). the r32 gtr's racing pedigree speaks for itself so sets itself apart from the boy racers, and the rb26dett can be modified if required to beyond 1000hp if you have the dough, but will live happily also with a few straight forward mods without touching internals to produce around 500hp. and whats more, it will go around a corner as a result of the 4wd. the rx7 however ....mmm....!

got you now ozzy.
    I race an RX-8 in British National Sprint and Hillclimbs in the standard production class.
    THat we have a version modified and sold as "standard" by Prodrive helpes
    Friend has class winning RX7 in modified production and often has faster times on the sprints than the Evos EVEN occasionally the 650+hp ones !!
    You have to own and rev a rotary to "get it" I think being a motorbike rider helps !

Yeah mx5 ... or get an RX-8 and beat the pants of the Miata ... got the lap and hill times to prove it But better still .... can you guys go street legal with bike engined Westfields/Caterhams etc like we do ? It's THE ultimate RWD bang for your buck SO lightweight that you're not having to over engineer all the rest of the stuff.

Over here for £10K I can get a full track capable Radical and even drive it on the streets to get there Now THAT's the ultimate track weapon.

I'm a Chapman-esque ( the racing one not the Python ) kind of guy.
    First make it light, then being fast comes easy.

with import luxury (lol) car tax genuine caterhams and westfields are BALLS expensive.
    there are many homegrown equivalents for much cheaper of course, bike engines are no biggie when it comes to roadworthy.
    i saw one with an RB25det lol. why, i have no idea.

^^^ good point, clutch, I shouldn't have named them as teh only ones but in past when I say 7-copies or 7-esque I've caused confusion. Everyone knows a caterham or westfield. For ultimate cheapness the LoCost designs are still good and you start with 1" square tubing
    Somebody must have had a love for straight 6 as you say a CRAZY choice to put in a 7
    Mind you in terms of crazy I'm hoping this weekend the rotary engined Imp is entered !!

haha i did the math and the RB25 weighs pretty much half (if not more in the extreme lightweight ones) of what an actual caterham weighs..
    if you want crazy there is a daihatsu mightyboy with a rover twin turbo V8 in the tray, hill climb special haha

yer, as per clutch, they love the taxes over here, i think i was taxed at some point when i took a shower this morning, and import cars also share this joy. that radical track car would be the go, it would give you that track day buzz. my issue with it is where do i put the mrs and the groceries?! has it got a cup / beer holder? which is why im pretty much sold on the mx5 / miata nc series. can do the shopping thing, take the mrs out, it looks good, and can drop the top and hit the twistys when you feel the need. and sure matra, the mx5 wouldnt be a match for an rx8, but for an all round package that will leave you smiling, and wont have both hands on your wallet, i cant think of anything else with the price point in mind that comes close to it. rotaries, you either love them or hate them. i love them, but the case against them is growing i guess. all this aside, theres nothing quite like hearing a 13b with a port job on full song, probably comparable to a yamaha r1 or something when its been given the beans.

the radical/caterham becomes a much better proposition if you import an older one rather than buying one new/direct.
    if you plan to use it on track only then you basically just pay UK prices + shipping anyway.

Radical can be configured as 2 seater.
    'bout same space as 7s ... just even MORE un-ladylike getting in /out so the mrs might baulk
    "cup holder" ? oh dear The downfall of proper cars. Companies seem to spend more time in some markets worrying about number and size of cup holders than they do the suspension
    MX-5s one of my favourites too, but a little less practical - but guess no kids yet
    NOTHING gives the "brap" sound of a tuned rotary and long may it stay that way

Thread Information