Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Torque steer

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national...eer_popup.tmpl

What this points out is that having now predominately designed OUT unequela length drive shafts it's down to the tyres. So I wa smore showing the age of FWD cars I've owned and driven competitively. Been all RWD for 5 years now
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    As we've come to expect... which is good for those who agree with you, and bad for those who don't

Only happens in FWD, right, because the wheels driving are also the ones being steered, so they can move freely. Cars with less power still torque steer- my friend's brother's (hope that made sense) Mondeo ST24 (Contour SVT to you Yankees) torque-steers.
    what about awds??

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    The question is on the relative quantites all the various methods impart when driving in a stright line.

He also doens't explore the effect of camber.
    Performance FWDs will add camber so that the point he calls the "dave" point is closer to where the steering incliniation angle meets the groudn - I don't remember the 'gap' ever having a name so I'm happy to call it the "dave"

IF it was only down to that then the wheel woudlnt' ahve such a STRONG kick. His article is good for explaining cars in corners. But not for explaining the driver experience. He's fixed too many variables IMHO BUT it is contributory and important - and why as I'd said camber gets adjusted and all performance cars will rose joint the front end so they can "tweak" for each track

I can't see the forces lost in the "dave" being sufficient to turn a wheel in a strong drivers hands as the rubber is scrubbing laready and henvce forces are lower.

Also we have the empirical evidenc that if you try it with wheels OFF the ground, the driveshaft torque steer will straighten the wheel.
    doesnt castor affect it too?? cuz the steering axis for many mac struts is determined basically by where the strut is, and since castor becomes camber in corners it has an even greater effect then camber alone right ?? im just guessing right now, no clue what im talkin about

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    doesnt castor affect it too?? cuz the steering axis for many mac struts is determined basically by where the strut is, and since castor becomes camber in corners it has an even greater effect then camber alone right ?? im just guessing right now, no clue what im talkin about
    caster will affect the "dave" point as the footprint shifts as the wheel twists.
    AS will any suspension movement as it introduces slip as the moves in and out of the body centre line as it moves up and down.
    The problem is estimating how much each of these impact the t/s and by how much.
    I cant' imagine caster woudl be that great as it's kind of third order effects.
    What's critical too is the suspension design - and why modern cars tend to have less t/s than of old ( Mate had one of the First Saab 99 Turbos. They set a WHOLE new standard in t/s !!! 3 of the first 10 cars in the UK ended up written off into ditches with t/s )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information