Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Handling car

definitely the really light ones, lighter than lotus. Caterham, Ariel Atom, Caparo T1

I don't know if it has been mentioned but the Moslers are fantastic handling cars, band from racing because they were that good.
    Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
    — Jeremy Clarkson

"banned" from racing because they failed to manufacture enough to be homologated for GT3.

UCP is the place for facts

On opinion, I'd say they had power to make up for not having perfect handling If they could have sorted out the handling they might have won more in the British GT championship years where circuits are less about power
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I think Lotus Elise has the good road holding capacity than Ferrari. But now a days there are many many cars better than this both.

Look the nissan GT-R has got to be the best handling car in the road it can change diresctions on a sharp bend in miliseconds and goes quicker than anything on a narrow country lane because it sticks to the road like glue

Quote Originally Posted by calabb96 View Post
    Look the nissan GT-R has got to be the best handling car in the road it can change diresctions on a sharp bend in miliseconds and goes quicker than anything on a narrow country lane because it sticks to the road like glue
    Oh yeah?

I think the the Shelby SSV can destroy your GT-R in the curves and the straights.

Yeah! The Shelby SSC is almost an automotive unicorn though; sure wish they'd race it. And most cars will change directions on a sharp bend in milliseconds... getting them to go in the RIGHT direction is another story. The GT-R's weight doesn't help it, whiz-bang dynamic controls overcome it's faults. But then it is much cheaper than an SSC...
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Calabb, while I understand your sentiments I have to point out that on "narrow country roads" as we have in the UK that the GT-R is too big and too heavey to make as good progress as a large number of small, nimble, short wheelbase, LIGHTer cars.
    You can use power and smarts to produce a car that can assist the driver, but when it comes down to turning corners and lots of them the mass of a car will always kill your progress.
    What I will agree 100% with you is that an "average driver" can likely take a GT-R through a series of twisty roads faster than he could a faster car. But then it's the driver and not the car we're comparing really
    Fantastic piece of machinery and away from the twisties we "explore" certainly in the highlands and on the likes of the Nordschleife the GT-R is impressive.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Calabb, while I understand your sentiments I have to point out that on "narrow country roads" as we have in the UK that the GT-R is too big and too heavey to make as good progress as a large number of small, nimble, short wheelbase, LIGHTer cars.
    You can use power and smarts to produce a car that can assist the driver, but when it comes down to turning corners and lots of them the mass of a car will always kill your progress.
    What I will agree 100% with you is that an "average driver" can likely take a GT-R through a series of twisty roads faster than he could a faster car. But then it's the driver and not the car we're comparing really
    Fantastic piece of machinery and away from the twisties we "explore" certainly in the highlands and on the likes of the Nordschleife the GT-R is impressive.
    I had a ride the other day in a GTR at the Goodwood Hillclimb....it almost ended in tears as the driver underestimated the narrowness of turn one....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

^^ oh dear .... did you have a change of underwear with you ?

Watched my rear mirror as similar happened in 3 tight bends to one following me.
    In balance, had the '8 all out of shape and unable to keep up with it on the 'Ring.
    Thus as ever proving there is no such thing as "best handling" only best in certain circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by calabb96 View Post
    Nissan GT-R. It makes physics its bitch, yo.

You do know that not even fighter jets can change directions in milliseconds, right?

Of course, in a bend, given that a vector = magnitude + direction, we could theoretically argue that it's changing its linear velocity in milliseconds while cornering, but I think that applies to all moving objects, even a Honda Accord.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

i dunno about best handling, but smaller cars can make a tight turn for larger cars feel a lot less extreme. i think an original mini can catch up to a lot of cars on tight tracks partially because of that.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    ^^ oh dear .... did you have a change of underwear with you ?

Watched my rear mirror as similar happened in 3 tight bends to one following me.
    In balance, had the '8 all out of shape and unable to keep up with it on the 'Ring.
    Thus as ever proving there is no such thing as "best handling" only best in certain circumstances.
    no, but the driver was equally upset....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    original mini can catch up to a lot of cars on tight tracks partially because of that.
    "Proper" Mini yes ... lardy Beemer thing not so sure

Friend rents Suzuki Swifts on 'Ring and they can get through the twisty section to ex-Muhle faster than a 911 THink they take great joy in taunting 911s to follow them !!!

I still hold one of the best handling cars I've driven was a Honda Beat, 800cc mid engine rear wheel drive K-car. Closely followed by a Brabus Smart coupe But neither has a chance on straights or sweeping bends

Fifth Gear "proved" best handling car was a Saxo or 205 or similar -- I'm sure you could find it on youtube

I'm one who rather enjoys the fast sweepers, so I like a bit of grunt. Still, my old mini van was hard to beat.. unless you take a nicely sorted E30 into consideration. I couldn't pick even between my old cars (though the SD1 is out), it'd depend on conditions as Matra says. Mini for super tightness, E30 for kinda tight, 850R for fasterer stuff... Triumph Bonnie for cruising.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information