Thread: Ron Dennis blasts backmarkers.

Ron Dennis blasts backmarkers.

McLaren boss blames backmarkers for Kimi's title defeat
    Monday September 26 2005

Ron Dennis has blasted Formula One slow coaches who he claims contributed to Kimi Raikkonen's World Championship failure - and could yet rob McLaren of the Constructors' title.

Raikkonen's title quest was ended in Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix when Fernando Alonso became the youngest World Champion in Formula One history with third place at Interlagos.

But Alonso's Renault has not been the fastest car this season, with McLaren enjoying a clear performance advantage at most grands prix.

That advantage was wasted due to a number of mechanical problems which handicapped Raikkonen, while two collisions with backmarkers also played their part.

Raikkonen's team-mate Juan Pablo Montoya was knocked off track late in the races in Turkey and Belgium, handing Alonso four points he was not expecting.

Those incidents did not help Raikkonen's cause but were more damaging to McLaren's Constructors' Championship hopes. They lead that fight by two points but Dennis and Mercedes engine boss Norbert Haug are fuming at the 14 points those incidents cost McLaren.

"If it costs us the Constructors' championship it is not particularly nice," said Dennis.

"It is virtually impossible to go out now in a session and drive round uninterrupted by a whole gaggle of slow cars who don't look in their mirrors."

"The drivers who just don't get out of the way, they influence the outcome of World Championships."

"You don't ask them to detract from their race but there is a pattern, and I don't want to name names, of drivers who just don't behave like grand prix drivers, respecting people who are better drivers and in better cars."

"It's not fair and there's lots of time when these backmarkers have not only caused incidents, there are many times when they have influenced the outcome of races because it is very difficult to get past."

"There are those people who say incidents, accidents, interfering with the leader and everything is good for Formula One. But if you are on the receiving end it is damned frustrating."

Haug is particularly angry with Montoya's Belgian crash, which came when Antonio Pizzonia attempted to unlap himself and instead punted his former Williams team-mate off the track.

Pizzonia was fined £4,500 (8,000 US dollars) for the incident, which Haug feels could be significantly more costly than that for McLaren.

He added: "It is ridiculous, that may decide the outcome of a world championship and it is 8,000.

"I have a very clear view on this - a backmarker who is lapped should not affect the outcome of a race which could affect the outcome of a world championship."
    "
    "He should be penalised, absolutely penalised. He got it wrong, badly wrong and it may decide the outcome of a World Championship."

"If the guy would have come 10 seconds later he would probably have kicked off Alonso. That should not be 8,000."

Pizzonia was only racing as a stand in for the injured Nick Heidfeld and Haug disparagingly suggested: "It would not have happened if Nick was behind the wheel."
    Boo hoo...

I suppose that with McLaren and Mercedes already on rocky ground it would not be very wise to blame Mercedes for building crap engines.

Or since he has an existing contract, to blame Montoya for being a useless spaz behind the wheel.

And he does have a valid point - there are a number of drivers in the field who are unable to behave correctly during race situations. These drivers (Sato, Pizzonia et al) should not be allowed to ram the leaders off the track unpunished.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    I suppose that with McLaren and Mercedes already on rocky ground it would not be very wise to blame Mercedes for building crap engines.

Or since he has an existing contract, to blame Montoya for being a useless spaz behind the wheel.

And he does have a valid point - there are a number of drivers in the field who are unable to behave correctly during race situations. These drivers (Sato, Pizzonia et al) should not be allowed to ram the leaders off the track unpunished.
    He might have a point, but it is rediculous to go on this rant just after the new world champion has been crowned. It shows Dennis' true colours, and however much I appreciate his determination and ability his attitude disgusts me time after time. It's just such a cheap shot, and now I really hope Renault will kick their asses big time in the last two races.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

"Boohoo, pout pout pout, it's not fair, I want a lolly."

This is racing Ron, this kinda stuff happens, live with it. Personally I don't think that the backmarker incidents will end up having affected anything, just having things decided at different times. Alonso will still win, Kimi and JPM will still be second and third, and McLaren will still win the constructors' championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    He might have a point, but it is rediculous to go on this rant just after the new world champion has been crowned. It shows Dennis' true colours, and however much I appreciate his determination and ability his attitude disgusts me time after time. It's just such a cheap shot, and now I really hope Renault will kick their asses big time in the last two races.
    I think he's just immensely frustrated that even with the fastest car and two good drivers (well, one good driver and one occasionally good driver) they have been beaten again.

They thought that after coming so close to the driver's championship in 2003, the "18" and the frustrations of 2004 that they were due some reward.

I agree that it isn't particularly dignified, but I understand his frustrations completely.
    Thanks for all the fish

its mclaren/mercedes fault for allowing such a stupid event to be (possibly) the deciding factor.

they only rant about this one event, have there been any others this year? havent been able to see any clips or HL thanks to the F*&$ing FIA shutting all the sites down...

anyway, its their own fault for tha 'ship being so close.

Thread Information