Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why F1 is boring

Why F1 is boring

We all know that for the past few years Formula 1 has been called boring and is losing it's status as the pinnacle of motorsports. What the FIA do not seem to understand is that the fans want the cars to be the fastest technologically advanced cars on the planet. They think that the fans just care about the racing and passing. So we ask ourselves what is wrong and what could be done to fix it. First of all, the drivers of these cars are being paid tremendous amounts of money to drive these cars. Frankly these cars are not easy to drive. But, the drivers have a lot of help from very sophisticated driver aids. Just by removing them the racing could be dramatically improved while making the drivers work harder and smarter. Next the cars are just too similar. Due to the very strict parameters of the rules all the cars are basically the same. Back 20 years ago the cars were much different. Entire suspension; engine; transmission; systems were different from car to car, now, its all the same design when you come right down to it. If one were too loosen the rules a little you could make the cars dramatically faster and improve the racing. There is just no room in the rules for the designers and engineers to be creative. There really is no improvement in design, no radical advances in technology. The cars are just taking big steps backwards.

Well im all written out. If I think of more I’ll post it.
    eat cicada

Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLETON
    What the FIA do not seem to understand is that the fans want the cars to be the fastest technologically advanced cars on the planet. They think that the fans just care about the racing and passing. So we ask ourselves what is wrong and what could be done to fix it. First of all, the drivers of these cars are being paid tremendous amounts of money to drive these cars. Frankly these cars are not easy to drive. But, the drivers have a lot of help from very sophisticated driver aids. Just by removing them the racing could be dramatically improved while making the drivers work harder and smarter.
    Doesn't removing the driver aids make the cars less technologically advanced and slower, which is, by your estimate, exactly what the fans don't want?
    I do agree that the cars are too similar, but loosening the rules would still mean that one design or setup would be faster than all the others, so why wouldn't all teams change to the fastest design?
    "It's the only car I've ever driven that'll spin the wheels at 200 mph."
    -Mark Donohue, talking about the Penske 917/30 twin-turbo Porsche Can-Am car.

I just want car crashes! I completley disagree that fans want the fastest technologically advanced cars on the planet, very much so.

Ha, noone wants to see crashes, especially if someone gets injured, but its adds a bit of excitement to watching.

and to be honest in F1 its one of the onoly things that makes it interesting unfortunately, even though watching kimi this year has been good
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

So the fans want 300mph cars with no driver aids? Who is going to drive them, is anyone that stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    So the fans want 300mph cars with no driver aids? Who is going to drive them, is anyone that stupid?
    for that much money, I'll do it!
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Guest Guest
    i have to agree with simpleton, where has the tyrell 6-wheeler gone? or the brabbham fan-car?

i also agree with simpleton, i want to see the most technologically advanced cars!
    "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." -Warren Buffett

Im a "good ol boy" myself i like nascars. Pasing they all go 200mph and not one team is an outright winner like Ferrari has been for so long. Plus how much does F1 spend on a team i heard Ferrari spends 500 million do u know how much a nascar spends i dont even think its a third of that.

he's right, isn't f1 suppost to be the pinnacle of motorsport?

I don't think it is, it's a group of cars build to obey rules, nothing more.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

yo its all about the in-car view baby, seeing how the drivers tackle the apexes
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    he's right, isn't f1 suppost to be the pinnacle of motorsport?

I don't think it is, it's a group of cars build to obey rules, nothing more.
    So true. I think it really should be about problem solving and inovation. Let it go back to the days of the unique cars, the 6-wheeler, the fan car, there was a car once with a Flat-16 once, in the 60's IIRC. I don't think there should be a single limitation, other than sinlge seat, open wheels. I wouldn't mind seeing more races either or a bigger field. Even though it will never happen, the Indy 500, once the IRL dies, would be awesome. It would be great seeing all kinds of cars, especially if some American manufactuers would get in on the action, along with some American drivers *cough*Stewart*cough*. If only it was still run what ya brung....

there's my rant for the day.
    .....likes NASCAR

It wasn't a flat 16, it was an H16.. two flat 8s, one atop the other.

If the cars are so technologically similar, why are there teams that only scored points in one race?

I think F1 needs some type of salary cap, or spending restriction to avoid a powerhouse Ferrari thing. But what do I know?

See the WTCC at Valence last week-end and you'll understand why F1 is so boring!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by forza_autodelta; 10-03-2005 at 10:55 PM.

Thread Information