Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shanghai Supercar round in doubt

Shanghai Supercar round in doubt

In the local paper today there was claims that the race in Shangai was in doubt, they claim it was due to negotian breakdowns with chinese officials organising the event!

It is after all, an Australian championship and should not be going to China in the first place.

If the artical is true it will please a lot of Aussie fans, like me.

if we want an australian motorsport to stay australian then why dont we drop pukekohe off the list??

i think we should just give the idea of going to china a chance before condemning it. ive heard about troubles with sponsorship and organising the event and AVESCO claim they fired the former promoters and have since gotten new ones, but this new bit of information is new to me.

V8 Supercars is highly regarded as the best form of Touring car racing in the world, better than the likes of DTM, BTCC and NASCAR. i dont know if you would throw JGTC into that mix but still theres some fairly stiff competition there. we should be more focused on Mitsubishi trying to steal the show by entering the category, than worried where we're gunna be racing. at the end of the day, the more coverage, the more money brought in and if AVESCO keeps the money coming in, they keep the category going
    I am the Stig

I dont see a problem with haveing a race in china...i cant see why everyone else is wingeing! If theres money that can be made and buisness oppurtuinitys eg chinses sponsorship for the v8s and or a chance of australian buisnesses getting their name on chinsese soil why complain...chinas gaining strength very quickly and are becomming quite an industrious nation why not jump onto that bandwagon?
    And im all for another NZ round give the kiwis a little thrill and why not let them have a race over here with their TraNZam cars also (ps im all for at least three new rounds added to the v8 super car list)

the only problem with adding more rounds is, either something else is going to have to be dropped as in the case of shanghai and phillip island, or its going to get to the stage when not all the teams are going to have the funds to arrive at every round with their cars fully race prepped. people like mark noske and david thexton probably have their fair share of trouble making 14 outings per year and larry perkins is going to have some issues this year running twice as many cars.
    I am the Stig

True all true but also dont forget the championship used to have floaters....people who turned up 5 or 6 rounds a year due to funds transport location and stuff...but now with fines for not turning up stopped that! but i think a round or 2 more is what the fans want...look at nascar their spoilt for rceing 32 outings a year and 2 more series with much the same!

Promotion overseas is a good idea. F1 and Indy drivers all love it. What better endorsement. Shanghai has always been a strange choice for me however. A bit like , anywhere is good enough. Europe or the US would be better.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by bloggs
    It is after all, an Australian championship and should not be going to China in the first place.

ROFL. Everybody outsources now. Welcome to America.
    Stickers add horsepower. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by bloggs

What a selfish and idiotic comment to make, You will get to see the v8s on tely, it will be a great event on a great track showcasing traditional v8 powered race cars to the asian market and it can only be good for the sport, i cant believe how neive and dimwitted most v8 supercar fans are, I hope ur not a Ford fan mate

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    True all true but also dont forget the championship used to have floaters....people who turned up 5 or 6 rounds a year due to funds transport location and stuff...but now with fines for not turning up stopped that! but i think a round or 2 more is what the fans want...look at nascar their spoilt for rceing 32 outings a year and 2 more series with much the same!

wel about 32 rounds is overboard. i think F1 has around 16 rounds which is a pretty good number, but nothings wrong with the 14 we've got, thats with the AGP included
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    wel about 32 rounds is overboard. i think F1 has around 16 rounds which is a pretty good number, but nothings wrong with the 14 we've got, thats with the AGP included
    yeah well 32s exsessive i agree but still 13 round (really its 13 they have a full 25 laps at the gp in 3 races) but dont tell me you dont at least want one or 2 more races.

well the teams still need to prepare for 3 races for the AGP, so its like the argument put up about the risk at pukekohe of going into the shootout, just for it to be cancelled and for them to revert to the qualifying.

as for me though, i'd be plenty happy if they could give the viewing public more quality races. i believe the 13 round contract is up at 2006 so if they were to increase to say the ~16 rounds that F1 and WRC work around, i'd want them to be good tracks, not just something thats gunna fit 33 cars or is going to bring in the crowds. maybe some more street circuits but the problem there as stated many times before is the tracks just arent wide enough. cameron mcconville rose the subject in a piece he wrote for motor about building more tracks like bathurst, which are open to the public as a normal road, are fast and also challenging
    I am the Stig

I eprsonally hold a great dislike towards street circuts...dull races if you ask me hardly and passing although the crashes are great! [prehaps they could bring back bob janes superdome (if they can ever sort out that dispute) bring back phillip island and simmionds planes and there is no doubt another tack in NZ they could race on.

well lets just say, they reinstated phillip island, put symmonds plains and say another new zealand round, that would be 16 there. i personally think they should stop going to oran park. dont get me wrong, i love oran park, but its already under pressure from housing developments and i reckon its one of the least favourite rounds. replace it with another purpose built, street circuit cross hillclimb like bathurst is
    I am the Stig

I dont mind oran park but id rather see another more interesting round added in and why not hold the ultimate round some where else...theres still room for wakefield park might be ion the agenda but not quite v8 super car material though it does great for konicas.

Thread Information