Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: This is why i hate most* Americans

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    lol, 3 points on that.

1> It wasn't a GT2
    2> Everytime he caught up with him and took over him he was on the slow down.
    3> If it was a GT2, he would have been seriously embarrased
    I was just gonna say that, like that shity rice car could take on a GT2?
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    I think that the US has more diversity and cultures then say england and that can be proven
    Well mine's louder.

Why does it matter to anyone but Americans that they can be proven to be the most culturally diverse nation in the world?

It isn't going to make everyone else suddenly like you.

If your greatest cultural export is going to be TV and film that depicts most Americans as idiots, people in other countries can't be blamed for believing it.

Also if you are going to have an Aggressive foreign policy, people are going to think that Americans support it, and therefore are agressive in nature.
    Thanks for all the fish

australia is very multi cultural. After WW2, a whole heap of immigrants came from europe, built the snowy scheme and settled and did very well for themselves, and during the 1800s gold rush, HEAPS of asian people came to australia. There's probably people with asian heritage at my uni more australian than me. Of course these days, Senator "No thats my pie, goddamn it" Vanstone will just lock you up in a detetion center for 5 years then deport you to the middle east or indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by "Clevor" Angel
    .. I dare you to find one as diverse as the US. I think something like 82% of American citizens are only 3rd or 4th generation, and whos great grandparents migrated here.
    Oz consists of people from over 200 countries. Almost one quarter of our current population were born overseas, and another 20% are children of immigrants - so 45% in one generation!

I'm 6th generation but going further back the non-indigenous ratio would be like 99%

I was agreeing they dont fully integrate. Im in texas and i can tell you, people from south of the border really dont integrate that much. But thats just another reason why you cant say you hate most* americans. They are so different from each other. Sure they may not integrate fully but its not like they stay the same either. There are still differences from the ones who come over here and dont integrate much from the ones that stay in their countries. Sure after some time i guess you could say an american culture has developed but its also reasonable to still say that most* or a large amount of americans are still effected from outside cultures even if they are native americans. I know numerous people whos great grandparents came here and they still practice some of the cultures of that country even though never having been there. But for the most part thats really what America was supposed to be in the first place. I guess you could say the people here effect how the country is more so then the country effecting them. Example being school employess in texas having to learn spanish. Even though i dont think they should, but this is just an example.
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Well mine's louder.

Why does it matter to anyone but Americans that they can be proven to be the most culturally diverse nation in the world?

It isn't going to make everyone else suddenly like you.

If your greatest cultural export is going to be TV and film that depicts most Americans as idiots, people in other countries can't be blamed for believing it.

Also if you are going to have an Aggressive foreign policy, people are going to think that Americans support it, and therefore are agressive in nature.
    I wasnt tryint to prove that we were the most diverse nation, i read an earlier post and thought it said we werent at all. (i didnt bring up the subject) Im sorry i hurt your feelings. Why do you feel like saying your culture is louder? do you think everyone else will suddenly like you?

If you base people off of stuff you saw on tv (which is scripted by the way, and therefor NOT real) then that reflects your general intelligence. And you should be blamed for believing it. What you see on tv is not a good representation of american life or americans. If it were, then it would not be entertaining to watch, as we could just live out those moments ourselves.

Once again with the foreign policy, still not a good way to know how american people are. If i look at the majority of other governments in the world id say every one else likes to kiss america's ass, but is that the case? The point is, if you really DONT know how people of any country REALLY are then maybe you shouldnt hate them, or make GENERALIZATIONS. which your whole post was.

And just so you know, americans may tend to say they are the most diverse country, or a really diverse country, because so many people may generalizations about americans that we just want to point out there are MANY different types of americans. So you really dont know what your talking about when you make generalizations.
    Last edited by scottie300z; 10-17-2005 at 08:29 AM.
    You can call me scott.

Example being school employess in texas having to learn spanish. Even though i dont think they should, but this is just an example.
    Wales and Scotland have had that for hundreds of years

Most government publications in the UK are published in about 7 languages to cover the more common connonwelath emigree languages.

Translation services are available for these languages in government offices and departments and call centres.

Not saying this is good or bad. Just trygin to expand knowledge

I'm torn, IF a government forces a language then they may improve integration but can cause problems. IF they support all languages then it gets very expensive and in part makes integration at the social level more difficult later as language doesn nto HAVE to be learned.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Wales and Scotland have had that for hundreds of years

Most government publications in the UK are published in about 7 languages to cover the more common connonwelath emigree languages.

Translation services are available for these languages in government offices and departments and call centres.

Not saying this is good or bad. Just trygin to expand knowledge

I'm torn, IF a government forces a language then they may improve integration but can cause problems. IF they support all languages then it gets very expensive and in part makes integration at the social level more difficult later as language doesn nto HAVE to be learned.
    I agree with you on both parts of that. But i tend to agree w/ forcing the native language on them. It makes it really hard to function in society like you said. I used to work in a retail store and we would get people everyonce in awhile who knew no english at all but needed help with items. It made it really hard to give them the help they needed, and if it affects that this much i could just imagine how their whole day is.
    You can call me scott.

I agree with you on both parts of that. But i tend to agree w/ forcing the native language on them. It makes it really hard to function in society like you said. I used to work in a retail store and we would get people everyonce in awhile who knew no english at all but needed help with items. It made it really hard to give them the help they needed, and if it affects that this much i could just imagine how their whole day is.
    That's why our high school system up to recently asked you to learn three foreign languages next to Dutch. That comes in very handy. I am not aware that studying any foreign language is mandatory in the USA
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    That's why our high school system up to recently asked you to learn three foreign languages next to Dutch. That comes in very handy. I am not aware that studying any foreign language is mandatory in the USA
    It is, you have to learn one other language of you choice. Or well, they have a certain amount of foreign language credits you have to get, so i guess you could choose multiple languages. But w/ the spanish in schools, they are forcing the staff to learn it or they get fired.
    You can call me scott.

It is, you have to learn one other language of you choice. Or well, they have a certain amount of foreign language credits you have to get, so i guess you could choose multiple languages. But w/ the spanish in schools, they are forcing the staff to learn it or they get fired.
    I can hardly remember to have met any american who speaks anything but English, but surely there must be quite a few though
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I can hardly remember to have met any american who speaks anything but English, but surely there must be quite a few though
    In all honesty, if they have only taken a foreign language in high school, they most likely forgot how to speak it. Then if it is required in college for their particular degree, they are most likely pretty fluent actually. But your right the majority of americans whoso family tree have been here awhile, know only a little of a foreign language, not enough really to function other places well.
    You can call me scott.

Guest Guest
    in the UK your are forced to learn English and French, certain schools give you a chance to learn Spanish or German (i took the latter)

Quote Originally Posted by Random on another forum
    In the U.S., you'll find battle-worn modded V8 pony cars worth less than $10 grand in just about every small town, and dozens and dozens of them in the cities, that in a straight line, will absolutely mutilate a 996TT, even a GT2, until they run out of gearing at about 150 mph. 1985-1993 5.0L Mustangs with aftermarket heads, intake, cam and a heavy spray of Nitrous Oxide, or a strong-bottom-end stroker short block with a blower. 1996-1998 4.6L cammer Cobras with long-tube headers and blowers pumping obscene boost. 1997-2002 Camaros and Firebirds boosted or sprayed or both.

Nasty, rattly, CHEAP, and PLENTIFUL platforms that scream 120-130 mph through the 1/4 mile traps like it's nothing. They're all over the place, like stray cats at a fish market.

And then there's the import builders, but those boneheads wind up spending five times the cash just to go as fast as the V8's, and then they blow up and they start over again. I'll never understand that demented crowd.

Of course they jump up and down and get giddy when they can pull away from a 6-figure car. Can you blame them?? Most of those guys can only dream, and beating a Twin Turbo like that is like David slaying Golliath to them. The fact that the Porsche is so much more than just a drag machine means little to them. They just want to go fast, however their finances can get them there. They're just looking for a sliver of pride, as we all can't just go to a new car dealership and plunk down $100 grand to go fast.

I find with the younger crowd that if you don't put on airs, and invite them to check your car out, and educate them about the actual mechanicals and engineering of it, not just how much it cost and how special you must be to afford it, that they walk away with an appreciation for the machine and an understanding of what it's really about, not just an abject disdain for it due to its unobtainability and stereotypically snobbish owners.

The 996 wasn't even trying to race them

Thread Information