Thread: BMW: No Decision on Villeneuve Yet

BMW: No Decision on Villeneuve Yet

Even though Formula 1’s winter testing sessions start in less than two weeks’ time, BMW insists it has yet to decide on the future of 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve with the team.

BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen affirmed to autosport.com that the team remains undecided on the Canadian, who signed a two-year contract - expiring bt the end of 2006 - with the Sauber team, prior to the takeover by the German manufacturer.

"We have spoken with Jacques, but we don't have a decision yet," Theissen said at Macau, where he's overseeing BMW's WTCC efforts. “I think it is still possible in November."

While Villeneuve has reportedly failed to impress BMW’s heads with his Sauber performances this season, the buyout clause on his contract is believed to be as high as $20m - a sum the Munich company is reluctant to part with.

IndyCar champion Dan Wheldon has been linked with the drive, perhaps as a tester in ‘06 ahead of a full-time racing role in 2007. Nick Heidfeld remains the only confirmed man on BMW’s 2006 lineup.

I say keep him, but Im canadian so Im biased.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

I want BMW to keep him. Maybe the reason why he did so bad at Sauber was the car was bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    I want BMW to keep him. Maybe the reason why he did so bad at Sauber was the car was bad...
    Massa will integrate the ferrari team in 2007 or 2008 , do you really think that the car is bad , he did lots of pretty good races with it ...that 's why Ferrari wanna take him

I don't know, I read an interview of Jacques recently where he sort of explained his dissappointing performance this year. It comes down to (according to Jacques at least) the car being more suited to Massa's driving-style. In today's F1 climate, that statement is pretty believeable.
    Villenueve's head got a little big in the past (my honest opinion), but the present Jacques strikes me as a man wanting to prove something. It's as if he's hellbeant on making a point.
    What exactly that point is I'm not sure, but I say give him a chance. If he doesn't cut the mustard, hey, his contract expires end 2006 anyway. But if he turns out to be a champion revived, then BMW lost nothing.
    I truly believe that Jacques on a good day has the potential to mix it up with the best, but unfortunately he lost his focus somewhere along the line. And I'm sorry, but I never believed the stories of him being such a spoilt-brat and being difficult to work with. At most, he was pretty arrogant at one stage I think, but nothing as bad as the media made him out to be.
    Give Jacques a car that's according to his specification. If he fails then, he'll have no excuses left.
    Make 2006 Jacques's comeback-year or his swansong-year. Either way, give 1997's champion just one more chance.
    Wife/ Girlfriend/ Mistress: "That's it! I've had it! You have to choose, it's either me or that carsite you visit so much!!!"

UCP Member: "I'm sorry honey... I sure am gonna miss ya."

Thread Information