23 41.07%
  • Rolling Stones

22 39.29%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: U2 vs Linkin Park vs Rolling Stones

read my post

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    read my post
    Haha you edited it after I posted to make me look stupid.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

no i just bolded the word you chose to ignore

Or maybe I just am stupid.

^ bingo lol

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    That is one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. I bet you've never even heard of any of Genesis' contributions to music. Possibly Frank Zappa. Or even the Mars Volta. Today all one has to do to become popular is come up with a catchy guitar lick and package it with trendy band members and music videos. But it has to be less than 3 minutes long.
    I'll admit, I don't listen to Genesis' "contributions" to music and for that I deeply apologize but I do listen to a lot of music that was before my time (the standards like Zeppelin, Hendrix, the Beatles, Aerosmith, the Doors, the Eagles, Creedence, the Who, even a little Elvis, stuff like that) and I love all of it. So don't just categorize me as some young punk that thinks today's music is the only and best out there. Just because I'm not you doesn't mean that I have no taste - sorry if I happen to be more openminded than you when it comes to music.

Actually, I know more people that dislike Linkin Park than prefer it. Then, by your logic, Linkin Park sucks.
    Actually, by my logic, Linkin Park had a bestselling album. That means people liked it on a nationwide level. Are you friends with the entire country?

Your opinion of music is only built from what CEO's for big music labels like Sony or Virgin produce. Your opinion is that good music must be popular and that bad music must be unpopular. Which is utterly ridiculous. On top of that, from what you've said I think it's safe to say that you haven't been exposed to as many styles of music and bands as the average music enthusiast should.
    My opinion of music is built on both popular and unpopular styles, bands, and songs. How would you know what music I listen to? I like almost everything, with the exception of most rap/hip hop and probably gospel. I even like country, which is unusual where I live. The playlist on my computer has more random, single songs by bands you've probably never heard of than it does entire albums from mainstream artists. So why don't you just accept the fact that not everyone is as "musically educated" as you and relax.
    Signature? We don't need no steenking signature

Quote Originally Posted by Sackalack GT
    Actually, by my logic, Linkin Park had a bestselling album. That means people liked it on a nationwide level. Are you friends with the entire country?
    My friends fit the average demographic for the optimal Linkin Park listener, are from average classes in an average American city and hold tastes that hence should reflect the average American public,

My opinion of music is built on both popular and unpopular styles, bands, and songs. How would you know what music I listen to? I like almost everything, with the exception of most rap/hip hop and probably gospel. I even like country, which is unusual where I live. The playlist on my computer has more random, single songs by bands you've probably never heard of than it does entire albums from mainstream artists. So why don't you just accept the fact that not everyone is as "musically educated" as you and relax.
    If you have varying music tastes, why did you even bother to say that high popularity instantly means good music?

WTF??

This is like comparing Linkin Park to U2 and The Rolling Stones.. o wait

Anyway....

Linkin Park just plain suck
    U2 are ok. The Joshua Tree was a good album
    The Rolling Stones are legends......
    "Please, just stop blabbering! If you want to blabber...go to supercars.net cause UCP aint gonna accept this kind of behaviour." - Gtek-i

http://junaman.wordpress.com/ New articles up.

My friends fit the average demographic for the optimal Linkin Park listener, are from average classes in an average American city and hold tastes that hence should reflect the average American public,
    But life isn't like a statistics textbook - you're telling me that a few people you know don't like something, and therefore no one likes it, and I'm telling you that a few million people must like it enough to make it the #1 album the year it came out.

If you have varying music tastes, why did you even bother to say that high popularity instantly means good music?
    I don't know, I guess some dumb little part of me thinks that if millions of people in a society listen to a certain type of music or a band then at that time in history it might be considered "good." Maybe in a few years when tastes have changed people will look back and laugh at it and that's fine, but in my opinion those people should try to ease up on the belief that their music is the only good music, and everything else is crap.

out of all of them, U2 is the best, how to dismantle an atomic bomb is awsome!
    All bowlers need a 'Hammond Step-up'

"Do you think we'll actually find a communist Car that we actually like?" - James May

But life isn't like a statistics textbook - you're telling me that a few people you know don't like something, and therefore no one likes it, and I'm telling you that a few million people must like it enough to make it the #1 album the year it came out.
    Fine. If you want to know the result silly, improptu polling of the 400 people in my high school which debuted in the school newspaper, here you go.

Linkin Park, yay or nay?
    Yay:55%
    Nay:45%

Well, would you look at that?
    Oh, I forgot, 400 people from diverse communities in an average American city can't be reflected on a national level.

I don't know, I guess some dumb little part of me thinks that if millions of people in a society listen to a certain type of music or a band then at that time in history it might be considered "good."
    The type of music those millions like is only 'good' if you're exactly like those millions else. But since there are also millions who prefer other music, it would be naive to say Linkin Park is good without hearing them and judging simply on the fact that millions like them. Guess what? Millions like Tiny Tim. I bet you wouldn't. But, by your logic, he's great.

Maybe in a few years when tastes have changed people will look back and laugh at it and that's fine, but in my opinion those people should try to ease up on the belief that their music is the only good music, and everything else is crap.
    What? That doesn't really make much sense. You just said that the millions of people who like Linkin Park aren't accepting any other styles of music. My opinion is the same, but it really doesn't have relevence.
    If you just somehow screwed up trying to tell me to ease up, I understand. I honestly couldn't care if you like Linkin Park or not. But the fact that you simply judge them on the basis of their popularity is rather naive to me.

As impressed as I am by your statistic, regardless of what you say a very large number of people like Linkin Park. Just because a little more than half of your school doesn't like the band doesn't change the fact that, nationwide, they're very popular.

When did I say that the people that like Linkin Park aren't accepting any other styles of music? I'm saying that you seem to consider anything that's "mainstream" to be corporate garbage.

While i'm not a fan of ALL the stuff by the Rolling Stones, they certainly blow the other two out of the window. U2 I respect and quite a few songs I like by them but the Rolling Stones are just in a different league. I like the Rolling stones more avant garde stuff like Painted black, interesting how they used a almost indian sort of sound. They've followed trends to an extent but kept a unique sound going over the many decades they've been going for. Really they are just a good honest band that have managed to keep it together for fuggin ages.

As impressed as I am by your statistic, regardless of what you say a very large number of people like Linkin Park. Just because a little more than half of your school doesn't like the band doesn't change the fact that, nationwide, they're very popular.

When did I say that the people that like Linkin Park aren't accepting any other styles of music? I'm saying that you seem to consider anything that's "mainstream" to be corporate garbage.
    Ashlee Simpson is very popular these days. Doesn't change the fact she has zilch musical talent. These days, with music, its more about image rather than musical talent. Ashlee can't sing for shit but since shes a "rebellious" little girl (She dyes her hair you know and wears some awfully revealing tops) tweens idolize her and therefore she is popular.

When did I say that the people that like Linkin Park aren't accepting any other styles of music?
    Maybe in a few years when tastes have changed people will look back and laugh at it and that's fine, but in my opinion those people should try to ease up on the belief that their music is the only good music, and everything else is crap.
    Not only are you forgetful, but you can't analyze anything you read, if you do infact read.
    I'm saying that you seem to consider anything that's "mainstream" to be corporate garbage.
    I don't consider everything mainstream to be bad until I've heard it. Since most things mainstream are macined out of big record companies, you can expect most music to sound similar and produced. Every once and a while a band like Keane or Franz Ferdinand somehow becomes popular and I rejoice for the people who actually appreciate the bands that still write original material for themselve.
    Last edited by Esperante; 12-02-2005 at 03:27 PM.

Thread Information