Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Porsche Cayenne Turbo.. do you love it or hate it?

Its a good SUV (yet pretty ugly) but it kind of came out of no where. I would have at least expected porsche to make a four-door before an SUV.

I don't mind it...Though I always ask what would you do with all that power in a SUV?
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by RS6
    One of these.

Anyway, I hate the Cayenne. Not because it is a Porsche SUV - it has proved it can go off-road- but because it is as ugly as sin. That is why I don't particularly like BMWs anymore.
    Oh yeah, i forgot that they made tanks in the '30s.
    John Buffum was the man.

UCP's most violent member; a lump of destructive energy.

Porsche might own 20% of VW, but the Touareg surely owns the Cayenne on looks
    I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

This needs a poll!!!

Well, I'm in 2 minds. On one hand, it's a dirty, great, gas-guzzling cash cow, sold specifically for Porsche to stay afloat. And it's done the job well. Also, it's the SSCMobile of choice (Suburban Sad C***). I find that the dudes that have them are insufferable. And I know a few.

But on the other hand, it's a great off road vehicle, it performs just like a real Porsche should, and I think it looks great in black with 19in multispokes. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Except one. Cayennes aren't even equipped with a spare tyre so how they could be deemed 'more than capable' offroad is beyond me
    O.k, you take the X5, and I will take the Cayenne and we will see who get's further on an offroading course.

My guess is that it will be me.

When off-roading the X5 may aswell not have tires, it get's no grip what so ever.

The replies to my thread are interesting Thank you to everybody who replied... I would guess approximatley 50% of people dislike/hate the Porsche Cayenne and 50% of people like/love it.. but the percentages could be 60-40 or 30-70. Which SUV would you buy instead of the Cayenne?

Quote Originally Posted by john14
    The replies to my thread are interesting Thank you to everybody who replied... I would guess approximatley 50% of people dislike/hate the Porsche Cayenne and 50% of people like/love it.. but the percentages could be 60-40 or 30-70. Which SUV would you buy instead of the Cayenne?
    none...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    O.k, you take the X5, and I will take the Cayenne and we will see who get's further on an offroading course.

My guess is that it will be me.

When off-roading the X5 may aswell not have tires, it get's no grip what so ever.
    I'm no believer in X5's capabilities either - it's basically a 5-series on stilts

To be fair to you, others also claimed the Cayenne as a good thing for offroading. So my quoting of your post was mere random selection

Personally I can't take seriously any 4WD only equipped with those ridiculous & near-useless spacesavers. Hereabouts, punctures are not uncommon even when ONroad let alone off, and ultimately mate your fancy Porsche won't go very far on three 49psi tyres and a temporary razor blade

Likewise a $30k Falcon 2WD ute gets skidplates as standard-equip yet no underbody protection for the ($200,000!) Cayennne Turbo so really it's just another of those euro 'snowfield specials'

For sure every vehicle is a compromise of capabilities. Genuine 4WDs by their nature are deficient on-road, and Cayenne the mega-example of 'pretend 4WDs' is too complex & fragile, has too much wiring and costs far too many $$ to risk knocking it around in the rough. They are reportedly hopeless on sand. Thus imho it is not "more than capable"

In my experience barging around a synthetic offroading course cannot equate to the realities of offroad travel - maybe in the UK but not in Oz where there are few roads let alone good ones - so I guess our concepts of offroading differ
    Last edited by nota; 12-05-2005 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by john14
    Thank you to everybody who replied. Which SUV would you buy instead of the Cayenne?

For what application ..?

Disco 3.

Cavernous, goes off road, looks great doing it...
    Thanks for all the fish

G55 if i have to pick one SUV
    dxmn harsh on-road, but looks way way better and possibly better off-road.. (I don't see any country buying the Cayenne for its military)

but if it's for normal driving, no SUV ever..

Thank you for stating... or typing your opinions.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Let's admit that the Cayenne Turbo has "Excessive" written all over it. It is way too fast and way to expensive compared to most SUV's. But it sure is fun...
    - 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
    - 2003 Dodge Ram Hemi
    - 2005 Acura MDX

Gone but not forgotten: 2003 BMW M3

Thread Information