Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Engines

Top 10 Engines

Ward’s releases annual Top 10 engine list
    Posted Dec 10, 2005, 3:00 PM ET by Eric Bryant

Ward’s has been issuing its “Top 10 Engines” list for a dozen years now, and this year’s list, like others, is filled with internal combustion goodness. In alphabetical order:

Audi 2L FSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A3)
    Audi 4.2L DOHC V-8 (Audi S4)
    BMW 3L DOHC I-6 (330i)
    DCX 5.7L Hemi Magnum OHV V-8 (Dodge Charger R/T)
    Ford 4.6L SOHC V-8 (Mustang GT)
    GM 2L supercharged DOHC I-4 (Chevrolet Cobalt SS)
    GM 2.8L turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Saab 9-3 Aero)
    Mazda 2.3L DISI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mazdaspeed 6)
    Nissan 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Infiniti G35 6MT)
    Toyota 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)

My comments follow below…

The first three are difficult to disagree with - they’re great engines. DCX’s Hemi combines high output with cylinder deactivation, so I understand why it makes the list instead of GM’s LS2 or GenIV truck engines. But the FoMoCo 3-valve 4.6L Mod motor? In no way should that be on this list instead of the LS2 - that is, unless one favors a larger, heavy, more complex engine that makes 25% less power. GM’s supercharged Ecotec is an interesting choice; I personally would have gone for DCX’s turbocharged 2.4L from the SRT4, or Mitsubishi’s 2.0L 4G63 from the Lancer EVO. GM’s twin-turbo 2.8L V6 disappoints me just a bit from a power standpoint, but maybe it performs better than its numbers would indicate. Mazda’s turbo 2.3L is indeed impressive, so I have no qualms about its inclusion. No issues with the last two engines on the list, as they’re an impressive pair of V6s, but the Acura RL’s 3.5L V6 does seem left out. And where’s the light-truck diesels, which offer an impressive combination of economy, durability, and power?

Keeping in mind that the engine had to be available in a vehicle with a retail price under $52K, what do you think should have made this year’s list?

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_wards_names_best/index.htm
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

I agree, the Ford 4.6L shouldnt be there.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

i dunno, the ford 4.6L SOHC 3 valves are actually quite good, making almost 400hp with about 5psi out of a new saleen twin-screw supercharger(or whipple, kennebell twin-screws), its quite reliable as far as i've known and good power for price.

the 4g63 in the evo's should have been on that list, and maybe the LS2.(would be great if the LS7 was there, but it says under $52k cars)
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

the honda s2000 engine

no diesels in that list....
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    might be because it is American. They have a tendency to close their eyes for realities
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    there should be in . For example the FIAT 1.2l Multijet diesel innovative design and use

edit: the BMW 2.5 l diesel too it gets very good reviews and is (if we beleive the journalists) way better than its petrol counterpart
    Last edited by drakkie; 12-13-2005 at 02:25 AM.

The S2000 engine, best 2.0 in the world and Mazda's RX-8 Rotary...
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Definitely the 1.4-litre turbo-supercharged from VW
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Definitely the 1.4-litre turbo-supercharged from VW
    which of course is also conspicuously absent on an American list....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

This list is based on engines sold in the US. We don't have the low sulfur diesel fuel in the US so those engines would not live long. Also, even the best of the diesels won't meet up coming California emissions. Finally, unlike in Europe, diesel doesn't have any tax advantage. Currently diesel is something like 15% more expensive than gasoline.

Before second guessing Wards' choices I would suggest reading through their criteria. I'm surprised to see no Hondas on the list but I think the Ford motor is a good choice. They consider vehicle cost as part of the judging so really high dollar motors like the BMW V10 are out. The Ford is a very smooth, well mannered engine. The 4 valve, SC version in the last Cobra was much to my surprise actually smoother than the 3L I6 in my friend's 2001 BMW 530. I was really shocked by this as I wasn't expecting it to be overly refined. While the specific power isn't that great, it is a very well behaved motor for not much money.

I understand this list is not very relevant in Europe but neither is the European list very relevant in the US as most of the engines that won aren't sold here. Also with no displacement based taxes there is no reason to go for FI or extremely high revs to get power if you can get the same power and mileage with more displacement. Even the Japanese have adopted that philosophy for the US market.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by culver
    This list is based on engines sold in the US. We don't have the low sulfur diesel fuel in the US so those engines would not live long. Also, even the best of the diesels won't meet up coming California emissions. Finally, unlike in Europe, diesel doesn't have any tax advantage. Currently diesel is something like 15% more expensive than gasoline.

Before second guessing Wards' choices I would suggest reading through their criteria. I'm surprised to see no Hondas on the list but I think the Ford motor is a good choice. They consider vehicle cost as part of the judging so really high dollar motors like the BMW V10 are out. The Ford is a very smooth, well mannered engine. The 4 valve, SC version in the last Cobra was much to my surprise actually smoother than the 3L I6 in my friend's 2001 BMW 530. I was really shocked by this as I wasn't expecting it to be overly refined. While the specific power isn't that great, it is a very well behaved motor for not much money.

I understand this list is not very relevant in Europe but neither is the European list very relevant in the US as most of the engines that won aren't sold here. Also with no displacement based taxes there is no reason to go for FI or extremely high revs to get power if you can get the same power and mileage with more displacement. Even the Japanese have adopted that philosophy for the US market.
    diesel cost more in the uk than petrol though

Mercedes is selling its 320CDI in the USA (but not in California or New York), so either it can run on US produced (standard) diesel or they will not live long....

Finally, unlike in Europe, diesel doesn't have any tax advantage. Currently diesel is something like 15% more expensive than gasoline.
    Diesel is ~ 3% more expensive in the UK.

The saving is that you get much more range, so you need to buy less of it.

If you get 15% more miles out of a tank of diesel than with petrol you don't have a problem really.

Comparing a 2.0-litre 150PS FSI VW Passat Petrol against the equivalent 2.0-litre 140PS TDI VW Passat Diesel you get 45% more miles out of your full tank. (33mpg EU combined Petrol; 48mpg EU combined Diesel)
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Diesel is ~ 3% more expensive in the UK.

The saving is that you get much more range, so you need to buy less of it.

If you get 15% more miles out of a tank of diesel than with petrol you don't have a problem really.

Comparing a 2.0-litre 150PS FSI VW Passat Petrol against the equivalent 2.0-litre 140PS TDI VW Passat Diesel you get 45% more miles out of your full tank. (33mpg EU combined Petrol; 48mpg EU combined Diesel)
    the engines cost a little bit moreto get though.

In the netherlands diesel fuel is actually cheaper as petrol. This is partly because of lesser taxes, but also because of much lower production costs.

Thread Information