Sorry if I came across a bit strong. I think I'm as pro US as the next guy is. You never quite know with web forums if people are simply ribbing or if they really mean it. Either way, having traveled over quite a bit of the world I can say with some confidence that I think the US does some things better and other things not as well. Really, the conclusion that no country is perfect shouldn't come as a great surprise to anyone. I see this a lot when people start criticizing "large" American engines vs European motors without regard for the market they are in or the equally large motors that the other guys sell in the US. Perhaps I was overly sensitive.
Either way, I stand by the assertion that it is easier to tell people how they should behave from a far and it's equally easy to overlook many of the reasons things may not be as strait forward as they seem.
Certainly, switching the US road system over to the metric system would be very costly and provide little real benefit. Switching the US engineering and science community has in large part already happened. In this regard we have already gone metric when it comes time to sell products to other markets or when we talk about technology.

Also, the last big metric push in the US was in the 1970's however, I believe it was actually adopted but never implemented some time shortly after the US was founded in the late 1700s.

While the Imperial Gallon is larger than the US gallon, I think (could be wrong) that the Euro horse is actually the same number of KW as the American horse. The difference was the test conditions. Small changes in atmospheric correction factors and the like thus the Euro horse is slightly less powerful than a US horse. It allowed MB to claim they had the most powerful NA V8 at some 510hp. However, when the GM LS7 was converted to Euro ponies it rose from 505 to 512 (I think). So MB might have spoken too soon.

Anyway, sorry if I was overly sensitive.

So do the people on the continent harass England because they still use MPH?