Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanner issue

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally

Scanner issue

Here it comes. I'm at work right now and my boss (bit before he went off) told me when I came that the scanner/printer (Epson Stylus Photo RX500) for some reason wasn't working and I can't work it out myself. I used it just a few days ago and I've been told it hasn't been touched since then. The main problem is not with the scanner itself, since it'll scan and photocopy instantly and it's very willing to scan to memory card. The problem is it won't scan and send the file to the PC at all. When I press "OK", nothing happens. I went to control panel and switched the printer status to "online" but to no avail. Can anybody help?

Supposing that the scanner/printer is connected to the pc via usb and the pc is running some Windows os, a driver/software re-installation should at least work. Sometimes in Windows there is no other way to get things work. I've never used the RX500 though, so that's all I can say. Might of course also be a cable error, if you didn't check them yet.

I had my epson scanner stop working, the problem was due to "epson scan" crashing on startup.

If you rebooted the computer you could get it to scan through MS scanner wizard and other software, but after trying to do it via epson software the scanner would no longer scan to any other app.

The "solution" was to set the compatability mode of epson scan to Windows 98/ME.

Don't know if that helps.

Now all i need is for the printer half of the thing to start printing yellow again, and greyscale instead of "cyanscale".

F**king printers/scanners.
    Thanks for all the fish

Where is the MS scan option?

Worth tying out...

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    Where is the MS scan option?

Worth tying out...
    I suppose the question is about the one you can find in Start>Programs>Accessories>Scanners & Cameras or something like that. My windows is in Finnish so those might not be the exact words.

Yes, if you go to Control Panel > Scanners & Cameras, the scanner should be listed in there and double clicking its icon should give you a list of suitable scanning apps, hopefully including scanner & camera wizard.

The scanner should probably be listed under "My Computer" as well.
    Thanks for all the fish

I was rather hoping you wouldn't say that, the computer regards it only as a Printer. There is nothing in the "Scanners" section.

Check the cbles using another cable or the same cable on another scanner. Then uninstall te drivers and reinstall them.thats about all i can say about it... Photoshop also enables a scanner. file>import>scanner name

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    I was rather hoping you wouldn't say that, the computer regards it only as a Printer. There is nothing in the "Scanners" section.
    Sounds like you might have the same problem as me then - after trying it with Epson Scan the scanner part dissapeared from the computer, still printed fine though.

Have you tried restarting the computer?
    Thanks for all the fish

Thing is this is my boss's work PC so he doesn't have any "unnecessary" software. If the other workman (who'll come later) isn't able to fix it, I'll uninstall/reinstall the drivers and/or change cable. But I think these won't help as the problem only persists when trying to send the scanned image/document to the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Have you tried restarting the computer?
    Many times. The troubleshooter suggested switching on the printer before the computer so the "computer would recognize it". I did so, but the obvious struck again.

Say does IrfanView hae a scan option? It's only 800kb and won't take a minute to download...

Pressing the scan button on the Epson only sends a wake up message to teh Epson driver and appliation on the laptop. So if they have a problem you wont' get anything
    First remove any other USB device - some cause problems
    Then go to Control Panel, Scanners and Cameras and open the Epson scanner and go propoerties or tools and find a "test" ( dont have recent Epsons so not sure where you'll find their test optoins )
    Find out what was recently installed Most likely somethign is either causing a conflict or possbily blocking the Epson appliation.
    As suggested a complete removal adn re-install is a reasonable step to remove possible corruptions -- REMOVE the old drivers and appliations before installing the new, repairing can't fix all corruptions.
    You don't say what OS, service packs or hardware this is all running on. Will help us give pointers. Also as it's a business machine what levels of security has it been setup with. It's possbile you are logging on without the permission to access it.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Irfanview has a scan option, it's worth trying. Obviously it doesn't work either if the scanner is not installed properly/there's no twain driver.

Back now, spent the whole day thinking of a solution and turns out somebody plugged out the USB...
    Last edited by spi-ti-tout; 02-22-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Thread Information