Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3? PS2? GT4?

There is no definite date on PS3 or GT5, and judging from recent history those initial dates willl be delayed -a few times -.

If I were you I'd buy a PS2 and GT4. If you do please free to join us on our semi-weekly challenge found elsewhere in this sub-forum.

Also, be sure to get a good force feedback steering wheel. I think Logitech Momo and Driving Force Pro are the prefered around here, but if you really have money to burn there are plenty other choices.
    Last edited by magracer; 03-28-2006 at 06:48 AM.
    Zag when they Zig

If I was rich I'd wait for the PS3 but the PS2 is a great deal if you want a console with great games as it is. It really depends on how patient and how deep your pockets are.

Well .. the japs made it very clear that it would launch WORLDWIDE on november.. officially. They wouldnt want to miss the holidays either. Its because of their blu ray format, its not ready yet and their still having problems with the cost.
    "In UCP I TRUST".

Some of you guys are real idiots. The man asked a simple question, someone who isn't up to date with his gaming probably won't enjoy hardcore PC sims and wants something alot more accessible, which is where GT4 excels.

Quote Originally Posted by jwoolz48
    My wife wants to get me a Playstation for my birthday in a few weeks. (I know... she is wonderful!! ) The PS2's have been going on ridiculous sales around here. I really only want it for the racing games... mostly GT4.

Does anyone know when the PS3 will be out? Is it going to be worth waiting and probably double the money for the PS3? Are there any plans for a Grand Turismo 5 for the PS3? If it is going to come out in the next few months… then I might tell her to wait. Any info would be great! Thanks!!
    The PS3 is, of course, a long way off. You might as well grab that PS2 now, because you'll be waiting alot longer than a few months to be playing GT5.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser
    Defintely what Matra said. I probably wont buy another Playstation2 game, PC simracing is much better. Racing online with friends etc is a great addon.

I upgraded my PC for slightly under £400, which 1/4 of it went to a new HardDrive, but it wasnt really needed. £110 on Graphics, £80 on MOMO wheel, £40 on Power Unit, and some games. Even at that, i can run GTR (check the threads, great game!) at full settings, and there is no problemm at all.

Id go pc. I wouldnt buy a PS3 until Gran Turismo 5 came out with a decent wheel combination.
    Believe me I thought about only upgrading a few things too back before I bought this computer, but then I was like "hmmmmm........my 5200 sucks, my mobo doesn't have PCI, it doesn't support AMD, the case sucks, power supply won't handle the things I want, DVD drives acting up, the CRT monitor is shit, processor doesn't even go up to 1ghz....hell, even the keyboard and mouse is gay. Wait a minute, where did this $8 sound card came from? Well at least it's better than on-board audio." Then I went for a whole new computer. Adam, try put on 8x FSAA in the nVidia settings, your gpu can handle it and I know it.

Oh and of course there are plans for GT5 but it's still a wonder whether it would be the introductory game for PS3, since it may come out a while after the PS3 launch.

And yes I just ranted about my old computer which I'm still using today only for hosting purpose.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Radoman
    Some of you guys are real idiots. The man asked a simple question, someone who isn't up to date with his gaming probably won't enjoy hardcore PC sims and wants something alot more accessible, which is where GT4 excels.
    Hmmm, methinks you should learn a little about "hardcore PC sims" before sounding off.
    You dont' know IF he wants something "more accessible" and yet YOU call folks "idiots" for pointing out if he did he should consider the PC and giving him options to make a decision on ?

The term "idiot" is msappplied in your post, but fits well in this one

Run any of the "hardcore PC sims" in arcade-mode and it feels like the GT series. .... Hmmm, maybe GPL is the exception , it always makes you work hard, but that's 60s single-seaters for you
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    Adam, try put on 8x FSAA in the nVidia settings, your gpu can handle it and I know it.
    I do, but take it off when recording videos off GTR, as it slows it down so much.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    I do, but take it off when recording videos off GTR, as it slows it down so much.
    Of course we all know that even 2x FSAA would kill video recording..........it's just for gameplay, try it and see if it runs good, I really wanna know.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

I have, and it works well. Very well. No hiccups or anyhting.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    If I was rich I'd wait for the PS3 but the PS2 is a great deal if you want a console with great games as it is. It really depends on how patient and how deep your pockets are.
    Haha... the pockets are not that deep! I will tell her the PS2 is an option! Thanks magracer for the steering wheel recommendation... that was going to be my next question!

I am sure the computer simulation games would be better... but since I really only want 2-3 games and I will not be playing it a ton, the PS2 seems the best way to go. I am not really a hard core gamer.

Thanks for all the info!! I will for sure join the GT4 Group if she gets me one!

I upgraded my PC for slightly under £400, which 1/4 of it went to a new HardDrive, but it wasnt really needed. £110 on Graphics, £80 on MOMO wheel, £40 on Power Unit, and some games. Even at that, i can run GTR (check the threads, great game!) at full settings, and there is no problemm at all.
    GT4 game: CAN$ 49.95
    Playstation 2: CAN$ 159.95
    Driving Pro Steering wheel: CAN$ 139.95

For less than CAN$ 400.00 taxes included, you have a GREAT videogame, that will cost a lot less than any required serious computer upgrades... and you can play online (CAN$40.00 more!). And you have a DVD-CD player at the same time.

"computer upgrade" costs always depend on starting point
    You can buy a brand new computer for $500 more than capable of playing and enjoying
    Most people actually already have the capability to run games at PS2 graphics detail if viewed on a tv ( a great softener of image )

But I agree the PS2/GT4 is a great VIDEOGAME --- nuff said
    ( PS: computers play dvds and cds too .... that bit that sticks out is NOT a coffee cup holder )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I will for sure join the GT4 Group if she gets me one!
    Look forward to it dude!!!
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Hmmm, methinks you should learn a little about "hardcore PC sims" before sounding off.
    You dont' know IF he wants something "more accessible" and yet YOU call folks "idiots" for pointing out if he did he should consider the PC and giving him options to make a decision on ?

The term "idiot" is msappplied in your post, but fits well in this one

Run any of the "hardcore PC sims" in arcade-mode and it feels like the GT series. .... Hmmm, maybe GPL is the exception , it always makes you work hard, but that's 60s single-seaters for you
    03-27-2006 10:28 PM

Haha... the pockets are not that deep! I will tell her the PS2 is an option! Thanks magracer for the steering wheel recommendation... that was going to be my next question!

I am sure the computer simulation games would be better... but since I really only want 2-3 games and I will not be playing it a ton, the PS2 seems the best way to go. I am not really a hard core gamer.

Thanks for all the info!! I will for sure join the GT4 Group if she gets me one!

Come again, MeA? I know a casual gamer when I see one, and I know for a fact that casual gamers aren't interested in games tailored for the hardcore. This, of course, is not a criticism, but you seem to think it is.

I also know PC fanboys when I see one. It's a PC fanboy that, clearly shown in this thread, answers a question nobody asked.

Tell you what, I'm not interested in turning this into a giant flame war (I don't spend enough time here to actually put any heart into any arguement), but fact is he wasn't asking for PC games, he wanted to know if GT4 is a good choice as opposed to waiting for the PS3. That's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Radoman
    Come again, MeA? I know a casual gamer when I see one, and I know for a fact that casual gamers aren't interested in games tailored for the hardcore. This, of course, is not a criticism, but you seem to think it is.
    I've got a great job for you.
    If you can KNOW that he woudl and always was a casual car gamer from the first post then you can make a fortune in business
    Using hindsight from the second post to critique any earlier inputs is just crass !!!
    I also know PC fanboys when I see one. It's a PC fanboy that, clearly shown in this thread, answers a question nobody asked.
    More KNOWledge ?
    This one though loses you that multi-million a year job .... not realsising that peopoe somtimes ask the wrong question adn it's worht exploring the wide range of posibilities before making recommendations.
    Shame, better not tell the family you lost out on that great job
    Tell you what, I'm not interested in turning this into a giant flame war (I don't spend enough time here to actually put any heart into any arguement), but fact is he wasn't asking for PC games, he wanted to know if GT4 is a good choice as opposed to waiting for the PS3. That's that.
    Some of us don't make huge assumptions.
    REad it again ... his wife wanted to buy him a playstation -- WHY ?
    not bothereing to find that out is bad assistance.
    Giving people options so THEY can decide what's best for them is best way to "serve"

Think ... how many UCPers are now considering kit cars who would never have thought how much value and performance they give ? And yet kits very seldom fall into "ultimate" and so never really have a place in this forum Or did I "KNOW" that everyone really wanted a kit car

Yeah, you're annoyed that "we" put other options that you don't like up for the reader to choose from. That's fine, but dont' tart it up as "avoiding flame wars"

Thread Information