Thread: brake vibration

brake vibration

i'm getting this vibration in my brake pedal on my dad's 98 mystique (ford contour/mondeo)

i'm pretty sure it's not a warped disc since i've never actually used em to the point where they'ed heat up enuff to warp

most likely they're uneven deposits from the pad onto the rotor, any idea how to fix this ??
    ive heard stopping hard from 100mph to 60 mph or 80 mph to naught a few times can cure it, but id rather not push a piece of junk like this any harder then i already have, the thing is as well put together as ... well let's just say it aint put together well

we're thinking of trading in the car or selling it soon so we'd like to get rid of this problem asap, switching rotors or pads aint an option since we'd like to spend as little money on the car as possible seeing as we're about to dispose of it, thanks for any suggustions

My dad's Jeep does the same thing, and we had it "fixed" for over $2,000. Started back up a month later, piece of crap. It still does it, without really affecting braking performance.

Look for the "warped brakes and other braking myths" post in the technical sub-forums.

Warping is actually what you are saying: brake pad deposits unevenly distributed onto the disc. What you could have is a bent disc resulting, for example, from getting the hot discs into cold water.

Either way I think you could remachine the discs.
    Zag when they Zig

Yeah you can't "clean" the disk without takign it off and machining it

It may also be the caliper sticking if it's the sliding type -- MUCH cheaper to fix .... and easy to spot. ..... is one pad worn more than the other ????
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

shouldnt be
    we had the pads changed like 4-6 months ago

Are the discs vented, if they are and they are worn until the venting starts to come through then it will vibrate. Third party discs aren't expensive, it would be cheaper than getting them machined.

Yeah, and they're a piece of p*ss to fit, you wouldn't even have to take it to a garage. Just get yourself a Haynes manual.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

pad knockoff huh.... try bleeding the system first, before ya chuck cash away, also, make sure the sliders arent siezed, but you knew that.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Thread Information