Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: global warming

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    screw global warming, it will never end unless we bury all the vintage cars/cars built before 2000 and kill all the humans.
    Didnt you read?

i need some smart minds

critics argue that global warming is a phenomenon which is natural and not directly attributable to human actions
    Consider global warming and the greenhouse effect as 2 totally different things for a minue. Global warming may be natural but humans are very much responsible for the greenhouse effect.

sea level increases have been projected from anywhere between 0.5 to 3m increase within the next hundred years
    Figures like these really highlight the impact weve made, not just through the addition of CO2 and other gases, but eliminating as much of the worlds forests as we have.

Things such as The Great Barrier Reef off the Queensland coastline are at high risk of dying if the sea water temperature rises even a few degrees (celsius that is), and thats already in a sub tropical area.

Ideally i suppose we can only hope to prolong the damage we've done, and hope that someday we've got the technology to make something possible.
    I am the Stig

not to mention the great barrier reef is already mostly dead, like half the part that's suppose to be alive is dead, i forgot the cause but it's probably polution or rising ocean acidity

I'd be worried if it was pollution related, as that particular region of the country is still only sparcely populated in comparisin. What would that say about the rest of the ocean...
    I am the Stig

Guys dont worry President Bush says there is no such thing as global warming.

pffft
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    I think that in some point in time, earth will get it's ass kicked, and that the world will recycle itself. Just my gut feeling. I've always wondered if just a few people survived, like a group of nomads or native people that aren't part of modern culture, how they would do stuff, how their would they would build would look in 2000 years.
    .....likes NASCAR

2000yrs would be the equivalent of a minute for the amount of time needed for civilisation to start over again. Theres evidence proving the Aboriginal people of Australia have existed for over 40 000 years, and yet 200 years ago they were discovered to still lead a lifestyle totally unknown to the Brittish.
    I am the Stig

Grow more trees which will reduce CO2

Only problem with that is convincing the governments that industrialism is less important than the environment.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Grow more trees which will reduce CO2
    you noe how much money that's gonna cost ??

n how much time b4 they grow to maturity ??

and how many idiots will wnat to cut them down ??

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    you noe how much money that's gonna cost ??
    Not very much.
    n how much time b4 they grow to maturity ??
    Actually you dont WANT them to be mature.
    Young trees convert more CO2 to Oxygen and capture more Carbon in there cells during vigourous growth years than they do whilst mature.
    Tiny saplings arent' the best either tho' as their first years are establishing.
    SOME trees are better than others and "coppicing" as it used to be is considered a viable "neutral" way to grow wood for burning.
    and how many idiots will wnat to cut them down ??
    No problems, Darwin will ensure some of them wil cut down trees large enough to fall and kill them.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Not very much.

Actually you dont WANT them to be mature.
    Young trees convert more CO2 to Oxygen and capture more Carbon in there cells during vigourous growth years than they do whilst mature.
    Tiny saplings arent' the best either tho' as their first years are establishing.
    SOME trees are better than others and "coppicing" as it used to be is considered a viable "neutral" way to grow wood for burning.

No problems, Darwin will ensure some of them wil cut down trees large enough to fall and kill them.
    grrrr

In Europe many farmers are given subsidies for keeping land in a good quality for farming (but not requiring any livestock/plants.) So why not pay them to "farm" trees just so the land isn't wasted, it helps slow climate change (marginally, but probably more effective than wind farms) without having to force society to totally re-think their attitudes and prioritys in life like the lib dems suggest.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Read an interesting article in National Geographic a while back, which stated that it's a natural cycle which is exacerbated by human pollution. It seemed pretty convincing to me, and considering the source I tend to believe it.

In other words, can we slow it down and mitigate it? Yes, provided it's not already too late. Can we stop it completely? No, unless we magically alter the natural cycles of how the earth works.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

^^It's probably true that the Earth's cycles have something to add to the weather changes, but I love it when "scientists" come together and give an "expert" opinion. This leads to further ignoring of environmental issues, as it not Man's impact that are the cause and further exploitation of natural resources can continue without opposition.

The fact is that the warming and cooling are only part of the problem. The problems caused by over-harvesting the oceans of fish, over-deforestation, overuse of pesticides and overall pollution caused by cheaper production methods that are OKed by the experts have made the planet toxic.

Since the industrial revolution, a couple of hundred year worth of "progress" has polluted the planet. In the short recorded history of mankind, about 6-8,000 years, it's no coincidence that just now the problems surface.

The counter: "Ice Age killed the dinosaurs, man. Who are we to say, we didn't do dat."
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    Guys dont worry President Bush says there is no such thing as global warming.

pffft

What a relief!

Thread Information