Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: drafting to save fuel

????

The rule is 2 secs by the DSA so where did u get 4 secs from?
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

???

.4 as in zero point four of a second to react, plus (thats+) ANOTHER zero point four of a second to cause the vehicle to slow, ie, put your foot on the brake pedal and depress sufficiently to begin the process of causing the vehicle to decelerate to such a speed that there is less likelyhood of collision, or any other unfortunate incident. That comes to zero point eight seconds, therefore, two seconds is more than ample time to leave between vehicles moving on a carriageway. Assuming the driver of the vehicle is alert and aware. Get it this time???
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27
    ???

.4 as in zero point four of a second to react, plus (thats+) ANOTHER zero point four of a second to cause the vehicle to slow, ie, put your foot on the brake pedal and depress sufficiently to begin the process of causing the vehicle to decelerate to such a speed that there is less likelyhood of collision, or any other unfortunate incident. That comes to zero point eight seconds, therefore, two seconds is more than ample time to leave between vehicles moving on a carriageway. Assuming the driver of the vehicle is alert and aware. Get it this time???
    So what you're saying is you double the reaction time to allow your vehicle to slow under braking?

Wouldn't that excess time be negated considering the car in front of you has, theoretically, similar braking capacity. (Unless we're talking carbon-composite brakes vs. worn drums)

No, it says 'begin the process'. This is one of those i say tomato you say tomAto arguments. Its generally acknowledged that it takes roughly, give or take a tenth or two, 4 tenths of a second to see and react to something happening in front of you, whether that be a car jumping on the picks or your mate throwing a nice cold can of beer at you. Then, on average, it takes another four tenths to actually begin the process of doing whatever evasionary/interception (if it was a beer and you were catching it) task neccesary. Bearing in mind that the driver ahead of you has had 8 tenths of a second already to begin the process himself, you should still have over a second to get you out of the crap so to speak. If youre alert, thats plenty. Ask you a question Rock, if you were driving a clapped out drumbraked Zephyr or something equally as poorly braked, would you be following so close to a Mclaren F1 for example, or a Mercedes C class, or a 5 series Beemer? Knowing what the cost to fix when slammed into is likely to be? Hell, it doesnt even have to be a high end car, could just be a vauxhall tigra, or a base model Ford Focus, the braking abilities far exceed that old bomb your hypothetically driving. Any one who is a half decent driver has the brains to decide for themselves what a Safe distance is between them and the car infront. Those that don't, and tailgate, are asking for the trouble they will eventually cause. With a bit of luck, they wont hit me. Because I'll hit them. The whole issue comes down to common sense.
    Last edited by Daz27; 05-07-2006 at 05:17 PM.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

The two seconds is suposed to incorporate the average thinking time thats why the DSA recomends it as being the correct distance.

Thats what I just finished saying... put the glasses on, get the thesaurus out cos theres some big words there and read it again.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Well why repeat what i said earlier on????

And using paragraphs would be nice on the eyes

Ask you a question Rock, if you were driving a clapped out drumbraked Zephyr or something equally as poorly braked, would you be following so close to a Mclaren F1 for example, or a Mercedes C class, or a 5 series Beemer? Knowing what the cost to fix when slammed into is likely to be? Hell, it doesnt even have to be a high end car, could just be a vauxhall tigra, or a base model Ford Focus, the braking abilities far exceed that old bomb your hypothetically driving. Any one who is a half decent driver has the brains to decide for themselves what a Safe distance is between them and the car infront.
    Let's not bring up what-ifs, then everything gets blown out of proportion.

I did use paragraphs, one, cos im lazy. I didnt repeat what you said, I said my opinion, which varied from yours but was similar, the number that I settled on being 2 seconds just happened to be the same, and coincidentally is the number you are taught by driving schools in Australia.

Paragraph... The reason why I said what I said is because clearly some other people have no idea just what the hell they are on about.

Paragraph... And, also, the reason why I repeated what I said a second time round was to clarify the confusion caused when you failed to see the minute decimal point in front of the four in my first response.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Paragraph... And, also, the reason why I repeated what I said a second time round was to clarify the confusion caused when you failed to see the minute decimal point in front of the four in my first response.
    It's a simple mistake to be made, no need to dwell on it.

Good on ya rock, who started the what ifs here, what if the guy in front is driving a ferrari 248 with carbon brakes and he can stop shorter than Jenna Jamiesons pubic hairs...
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

??? Australia im in London England

Whats that got to do with nothing at all? Road safety applies to you toffs too...
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

?? you said that "you are taught by driving schools in Australia." sorry slightly mmisunderstood it but any way i swear in the end your now agreeing with 2 secs being the average which is safe, etc

Yes, but I said that at the start anyway. The main focus of my argument wasnt about discrediting you, it was against something someone else said before you I think, I dont recall now without going back and looking. Some of the arguments that people are making are purely hypothetical and belong in those realms. Pure common sense says leave a gap, and the bigger the gap the better, but 2 seconds is the smallest you can legally leave in Australia without being charged for tailgating.
    The argument that he might have better brakes etc is crap, you shouldnt be in the position whereas you could run up the rear of the vehicle in front in the first place.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Thread Information