...for my Mom, she was thinking about one. My impression is that it's a decent little car, just not for American tastes. The back seat is TINY, and as if that weren't bad enough, the roofline is really low; I hit my head when I thought I was ducking too much. The tiny little 1.5l seemed adequate enough, though hardly what anybody would call fast or entertaining. The interior, as in all new cars, was built of that awful plastic, but my biggest gripe were the "gauges"; they were in the middle which is not only ugly, but also distracting. There's no tach to help you optimize your driving habits for gas mileage, and the gas gauge is on an LCD display. No thanks. However, it did ride pretty well for such a little car on a short wheelbase and seemed to handle nicely. The chassis seemed very tight, but still a notch below the WRX. It was also nicely equipped for an econobox, although I myself would prefer an el-strippo model if I were to get an economy car.

After looking at the 33/39mpg rating and then seeing the Corolla at 30/38 for only $1500 more, I'm wondering why anybody would bother with a Yaris.