Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wii controller is an innovation??? Go to hell...

The Wii controller is an innovation??? Go to hell...

Nintendo wont shut up about being the first ones to create a motion sensing controller. Well, they werent.

Anyone want to guess who had the idea first, and filed the patent protecting it back in 1999?? SONY.

Yes, back in 1999 sony filed a patent for a motion sensing controller. There is a link below, and once you get to the page click on 'mosaics' link and go to the last page (with the diagrams). There just happens to be a diagram that quite coincidently resembles the wii controller.

This angers me. Nintendo flamed sony so hard for copying their idea, but really it looks like THEY copied sony!!

LOL @ Nintendo!

http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=E...QPN=JP11099284

Patent number: JP11099284
    Publication date: 1999-04-13
    Inventor: KOBAYASHI HIROAKI; YORIZUMI MINEO
    Applicant: SONY CORP
    Classification:
    - international: G06F3/033; G06F3/033; (IPC1-7): A63F9/22; G06F3/033
    - european:
    Application number: JP19970265541 19970930
    Priority number(s): JP19970265541 19970930

Abstract of JP11099284

PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED: To instruct an operation by the movement of a small controller that is close to the movement of a character by making the controller movable, detecting its movement and outputting a signal, and switch-recognizing the direction of the movement on the basis of the outputted signal. SOLUTION: The controller detects an angular speed by a detection section provided in a connecting section that connects the right and left operating sections of a controller unit 82. For example, rotation in the direction of rolling in relation to the right and left operating buttons 55, 56 of the left operating section is detected as an angular speed in the direction of rotation in the XY plane by the detection section 70 with the Z axis as the central axis. The detection section 70 is comprised of a movement detection section 71 made up of an angular speed sensor 72 and an amplifier 73, and a direction detection section 74 made up of movement direction recognition switches 79, 80. Therefore, movement can be instructed by the movement of the controller without operating the operating buttons 55, 56, etc.
    Last edited by adrenaline; 05-19-2006 at 08:33 AM.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

First ....Microsoft had been SELLING their Microsoft Freestyle controller for at least 9 months before the patent publication date

SO either Sony did a pre-emptice Japanese patent application whilst Microsoft had not applied for a worldwide patent OR the filing date is significantly before publication ( quite common but I can't decipher the Japanese ) OR (most liekly ) Sony saw a gap in the Microsoft patent and added clauses to give them wider scope.

BUT ... that this lay unused till the Wii was stealign their thunder kind of makes you think Sony wren't really serious or fully congnitive of the advatages
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    Nintendo flamed sony so hard for copying their idea, but really it looks like THEY copied sony!!
    i still dont understand why nintendo has made the wii so lame, the controllers appeal will only last for so long and for so little games, the graphics are old news, no one wants to play 3D games now unless it looks like reality...downloading old nes and snes games can be done with a computer, so why buy the wii??? its a shame they will probably go bankrupt within the next few years...heck, even the gameboy is dead, the PSP owns them
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Wety foslk played Nintendo games because they have cahracter and are fun.
    Pc and PS adn Xbox is full of games that have superb flashy detailed graphics and re CRAP to play and dont' keep the player wanting to come back.
    If Nintendo keep themselves positioned as the "fun" adn cheaper solution then tehy'll fill a market.
    Just look how many "classic" iPods are STILL being sold and evereyone else is offering video for the same price ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Wety foslk played Nintendo games because they have cahracter and are fun.
    Pc and PS adn Xbox is full of games that have superb flashy detailed graphics and re CRAP to play and dont' keep the player wanting to come back.
    If Nintendo keep themselves positioned as the "fun" adn cheaper solution then tehy'll fill a market.
    Just look how many "classic" iPods are STILL being sold and evereyone else is offering video for the same price ?
    i agree with you to some extent, sure nintendo has a huge fan base and has always had good games...but in comparison to the growing market for real next gen graphics and games is much larger

i think nintendo is silly for thinking old people will acually use the new Wii, im my opinion, the only people that will buy the Wii will be hardcore nintendo fans that cant live without it(that really only want the nes and snes part), and small children ages 4-10 as cheap christmas gifts

in the very long run (5-10 yrs), i see nintendo either scraping the Wii and starting over or bankruptcy

the Wii simply has nothing to offer over the other two consoles, except for price...but when has that ever made a huge difference? remember when the ps2 came out and was $300, people nealy died of heart attacks, yet it sold like crazy because of the graphics and games...the same will happen for PS3, and 360

Dont' underestimate price.
    The stock markets are already jittery in their opinion the PS3 is NOT going to find enough buyers beyond the inital launch crazies !!!! The price is too high.

Nintendo ARE being clever.
    They know they could not go head-to-head with Sony and MS given the backing each have in the industry and from suppliers.
    So they've done the smart thing and headed for the empty field to play in
    By being lower cost.
    Now Sony if they're smart will bring out a wizzy add-on for the PSP that does dvd(whichever) and HD and that will be the Nintendo competition -- because then they dont' lsot $$$ every sale

If they're arrogant and leave them alone then Sony may well find that all the kids get Nintendos as the compromise with their parents as teh PS3 is too expensive. It all depends on teh demographics of the market. IF most of the custoemrs are in teh age range the Nintendo aims at AND within the disposable of that group then they'll win.
    Sony (IMHO) have over-priced themselves and won't get the kids and the grown-ups will think about it twice at that price point and invest in either a PC upgrade OR an Xbox cos it will be seamless with the PC they have in their home already.

The "best" solution is not always guaranteed to win the market.
    If you get a chance read Ries and Trout "Marketing Warfare" to see how SOny have built themselves a very powerful and expensive weapon and the competition are off somewhere else fighting the war THe PS3 is SOny's Stealth bomber, not the right technology and too expensive to take on the real challenges.

again i agree with you to some extent, i have not underestimated nintendo and their price scheme, im only sharing my doubt in their new product, because it looks boring (why you say?...becausethe Wii is the gamecube with a different controller)

i think that the PS3 is priced perfectly, no one else can offer blue ray for so cheap and yet they have pulled it off for only $100 more than a 360, which btw doesnt even have an HD drive and never will (for games)

truth be told, once you have a console, games, controllers, etc etc etc, you always end up spendings like $3000, whats going to stop the parents from buying the new PS3....just dont buy 7 controllers and 10 games at launch!

I plan to buy the PS3 launch day, 1 game, 1 extra controller and thats it....im not a fanatic thats ready to blow my wallet in one day...no one should ever do that....that being said, you can buy a PS3+1 game....and youll be happy for at least 1 month...plenty of time to recover from your "hit" of spending the extra $100 for the better console

remember kids! you can only play one game at a time anyways

nintendo...check mate

The bottom line is that this system will only be succesful if the game makers take advantage of the motion sensor controller. Yes nintendo has made quite an appealing product, but it is nothing if the games that come out for the system do not reach the full potential of this controller. I for one will not be buying any of the newest systems until I have experienced all of them for better or for worse.

Werty what prices are you using to compare -- only $100 from XBox to PS3 ??
    ( and do you REALLY think MS won't drop prices jsut before PS3 hits the streets jstu to "put the boot in" )

SO you get BD "cheap" (!) .... so do you REALLY think all those first games are going to take advantage of it ? I'll give you 10/1 odds that the first games could have fitted on a standard dual layer DVD
    ( I'm excluding the option to put lots of badly acted "live action" cut scenes -- who REALLY watches them !?!! )

I predict Nintendo will outsell PS3.
    ONly JUST over the 50/50 mark mid you, but I see their strategy and Sony's weakness is clear.
    Good point ont eh controller V adn I think Nintendo's possible problem.
    It depends on how clever thay can be abtou translatign "normal" expected input to teh Wii controller --- MS' tilt controller for example worked GREAT on motorbike and flight type fo games ana dwas usells on cars and FPS (IMHO) because they inptus didnt' match what you wanted them to do.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-19-2006 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Werty what prices are you using to compare -- only $100 from XBox to PS3 ??
    ( and do you REALLY think MS won't drop prices jsut before PS3 hits the streets jstu to "put the boot in" )

SO you get BD "cheap" (!) .... so do you REALLY think all those first games are going to take advantage of it ? I'll give you 10/1 odds that the first games could have fitted on a standard dual layer DVD
    ( I'm excluding the option to put lots of badly acted "live action" cut scenes -- who REALLY watches them !?!! )

I predict Nintendo will outsell PS3.
    ONly JUST over the 50/50 mark mid you, but I see their strategy and Sony's weakness is clear.
    Good point ont eh controller V adn I think Nintendo's possible problem.
    It depends on how clever thay can be abtou translatign "normal" expected input to teh Wii controller --- MS' tilt controller for example worked GREAT on motorbike and flight type fo games ana dwas usells on cars and FPS (IMHO) because they inptus didnt' match what you wanted them to do.
    no, microsoft will not drop the price only after one year of production...they cant afford that, they are already losing $150 + per console

and no not all launch PS3 games will be fantastic or fill up a much more than a dual layer dvd, but eventually...fall 2007 PS3 will have destroyed the competition...i dont think it will be anywhere near 50/50....im guestimating 90/10...PS3 vs Wii that is

we shall see Matra, want to make it a bet???

I hate "Nofriendo"...it sucks...but the Mario games are good!

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    no, microsoft will not drop the price only after one year of production...they cant afford that, they are already losing $150 + per console
    Have you seen latest figures for that ?
    They WERE losing $150 at launch.
    They've got the stable volumes now for that to have plummetted.
    Not seen any recent estimates,
    AND REMEMBER, the PS3 is still a long way away XBox volumes will contienu to drive their prices down whereas SOny's can't till they start makign and shipping them in volume.
    and no not all launch PS3 games will be fantastic or fill up a much more than a dual layer dvd, but eventually...fall 2007 PS3 will have destroyed the competition...i dont think it will be anywhere near 50/50....im guestimating 90/10...PS3 vs Wii that is

we shall see Matra, want to make it a bet???
    I'll put a fiver on it. ( But all best are off if Sony start doing price war -- I'm not going to bet if they are going to play stupid in business )
    Tho' it is clearly at risk if there are people stupid enough to pay for something they don't need ( BD )

( BTW Sony have just announced an agreement with Panasonic for a new recording format for HD video cameras --- guess what --- it is NOT using ANY Blu-Ray formatting or technology -- oops, they're hedging their bets too !!! )
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-19-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Werty, it's quite clear that you don't know much about the upcoming Nintendo console. Nintendo layed intentionally low for long, so if you would've posted this a few months ago it wouldn't have been so bad, I even would've agreed with you on some counts. Back then everything was just speculations. If you don't wish to go with your outdated assumptions and perhaps lose a few bucks making bets based on them, please take some time and for instance read through a summary of Nintendo at this years E3, and you'll see what I mean.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

...and back on topic...

Who was the grandfather of controllers reacting on movement? I can't remember if it was Nintendo, Xbox or PS that came out with Duck hunt...
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

a lot of online polls show that gamers are favouring nintendo and microsoft over the PS3, main reason being price, and the fact that blu-ray won't be utilised for years to come anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gteki
    I hate "Nofriendo"...it sucks...but the Mario games are good!
    we already know you're useless. no need to reinforce it constantly!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information