Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ch 10 loses rights to V8 Supercar

haha, maybe Im stupid then, I would have smacked him with me helmet. I still say GM is the biggest wanker in the series...
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Why smack someone with your helmet when you can HEADBUTT with your helmet In all seriousness he probably wouldve been hit with assault charges for that though. You could class that as a weapon.

The only part F1 really comes up with this is the AGP and how the V8 Support races get held. 10 might want to show them as part of the support package, which will have to be dealt with over 7, maybe they can get dual rights or something. Then theres also Indy with the Champ Cars, although the V8's have equal billing there, so 10 will have less of a foot to stand on.

Im hoping 10 gets some balls and shows more live F1 races, and actually sends the commentary team to the track like they did once or twice in '04. I think Bill Woods, Neil Crompton and Mick Doohan were trackside when Schuey won his 7th title.
    I am the Stig

Martin Brundle isn't to bad it's James Allen that shit me, He's voice is a pain his comments are silly at times and he contradicts some of brundles comments or says the same thing that he just said he is a dope.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

FPV, what support races at the AGP? we got the V8's and the porsches this year... Not like they didnt have the space to show em. I guess though, they couldnt agree with the series owners of the Brutes and the Aussie Racers... Who knows. It had better get better. And as to the races being shown live? I believe usually its a half hour delay, depending what state your in. I think theres only 4 races a year that are in a similar time zone to us.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Well Ours, Brazil, Canada and the US are ALWAYS live - care of being the local race or being the equivalent of 2-3am EST on the Monday morning. Shanghai and Suzuka would be on about 4-6pm EST, Suzuka still usually delayed as its always on the Bathurst weekend. Whenever Big Brother's not on though the delay's arent too bad, usually its a solid 10:30 EST start, but now its 11:15-11:45 EST.

What i meant was if 10 have the F1 rights and 7 have the V8 rights, then its a delicate issue because the V8's are on the undercard for the F1.
    I am the Stig

Thats simple, seven wont share. I dont think so. They pulled a coup getten the rights off ten, why would they hand the GP races back to them without a huge benefit to 7? AND I HATE BIG BROTHER
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27
    AND I HATE BIG BROTHER
    Seconded.

I for one am hoping they show more rally coverage. It's a bit pitiful really, though I'm not even sure that there's much more to get. More coverage and support of the lesser known serii would be cool too.

Yeah, I dont know if theres any more too show though, I mean theres F Holden or whatever there called now, wannabe F3's... the porsches, touring car championship, commodore cup.... The ones Id love to watch is the old muscle cars and the old group C and A cars.
    And maybe even the old thundersports they had in the 70's, I wasnt around when they were racing but I have friends up north who have spaceframe commodores and the like with 700 hp midmounted v8's and trust me those things are insane....
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

First, this is all unofficial. And the prices quoted in the Daily Telegraph for the rights were in the region of $75m for a six year deal, when a mere $20m was originally expected. That's too rich for Channel 10, but I understand they have a final chance to match or better that $75m before it passes to Channel 7. That's probably why it hasn't been announced, yet. Channel 10 probably still considering whether to match Channel 7's winning bid or not.
    Second, on commentators. I'd be surprised if Neil Crompton is on a long term contract with Ten. He's an employee after all, so he is almost certainly free to be head hunted by Seven and change employers. And if Seven has done any market research at all, it will know that Neil Crompton is the most respected commentator with fans as well as having invaluable inside contacts and friendships with most of the drivers and team managers in the V8 field.
    I suspect Neil will go to Seven and will be joined by Matthew White (who's no worse than Leigh Diffey, not that that's saying much). I wouldn't be surprised if at least one ex-V8 driver joins the team as well. Glen Seton is possible. Dick Johnson and Peter Brock also always had good relationships with Seven. But if Brad Jones or John Bowe finally retire at the end of the year, either would make a brilliant co-commentator alongside Crompton. I'd expect Denyer will be involved somehow as well - especially considering he's driving these days.
    Third, the biggest issue is how Seven is going to deal with clashes with the AFL - which it co-owns the rights for with Ten next year. There have been suggestions that most rounds will be held on Saturdays next year. That's probably better than the alternative of squeezing the racing in between AFL games on Sunday afternoon or wose, showing the V8s late in the evening on Sundays and screening it against the F1 coverage on Ten (the worst nightmare for a motor racing fan...which one to watch and which one to tape?).
    Another possibility is a season that has more races in the earlier and later part of the year before and after the AFL seasons, and minimizing the clashes with AFL.
    One positive is that Bathurst should return to its traditional NSW Labor weekend date - Channel 7 still owns the rights show coverage of any Bathurst event held on the first Sunday in October.
    We'll have to see how this pans out.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

The more i think about it, the bigger the question mark over Crompton is. You could consider Mick Doohan the F1-driver liason, which is what Crompton is in the V8's as well as expert commentary. Again, Doohan covers that for the MotoGP and i suppose also the superbikes, and is joined by Greg Rust and Darrel Beattie there. Bill Woods seems to be a solid fixture to RPM and the rally coverage. I think if Ch10 expand their F1 coverage though, and do what i hope they do, they'll still have a solid place for Crompton though..
    I am the Stig

This is what's shitting me. 7, 9 and 10 are just buying whatever they can, then figuring out how to show it. 9's NRL coverage is nowhere near as good as it should be, and the AFL gets split. I'm forseeing 7 buys it, then does a piss poor job of showing it. I'm really happy with 10's telecasts of the V8s, and this year they've added the saturday late highlights.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I always rathered it when 9 stuck to NRL, 7 stuck to AFL, and Ch10 picked up all the motorsports.
    I am the Stig

Given a choice between spending time with his first love (the V8s and all his mates that are involved in it) and F1, I suspect that Crompton will go and commentate on the V8s.
    Also, it is possible that Channel 10 will chose to cover the Aussie GT Performance Championship or the GT Championship and build those up. There's a gap there on Sunday afternoons next it year it seems.
    It may even keep rights to the Porsche Carerra Cup, etc.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

http://ntnews.news.com.au/common/sto...E23770,00.html
    K, this is what I saw on the NTNews website today. 7 bid $10 mill a year, and 10 had the last right of reply, decided against it. It'll be official at the end of the week.
    I'd love to see Cromley, Whitey, and maybe a hot chickie as pit lane reporter... And have crosses to Denyer in car a'la Dicky Johnson in the 80's and 90's... Those one liners were great... And pray that they put Bathurst back to its proper date... I didnt think of that possibility at all.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    Tony Cockrane is a you know what
    Agreed

Also 7 has already shown poor mangment when it had the rights to the procar series and bathurst 24 hour...wonder if they can botch the v8s in a similar manner?
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Thread Information