Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you get into professional motorsport?

how do you get into professional motorsport?

does anyone know how to get into professional motorsport. if so plz post
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

My only advice on the subject is to start at the bottom and work your way up. Anymore there are no easy ways in unless you're a stellar driver or know someone on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by MrVette83
    My only advice on the subject is to start at the bottom and work your way up. Anymore there are no easy ways in unless you're a stellar driver or know someone on the inside.
    yeah hankx but what counts as the bottom racing in things like stock cars or how else would you get yourself noticed unless you went into something like the ford rally accademy.
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang123
    yeah hankx but what counts as the bottom racing in things like stock cars or how else would you get yourself noticed unless you went into something like the ford rally accademy.
    I really don't know, I was merely giving you the method i plan to try in about a year or so when i graduate college. I'd like to work in maybe Nascar or something and i was going to just start at the bottom and work as hard as i can possibly work.

I really don't know, I was merely giving you the method i plan to try in about a year or so when i graduate college. I'd like to work in maybe Nascar or something and i was going to just start at the bottom and work as hard as i can possibly work.
    well im going to try aswell as soon as i finish high school but there is no harm in starting early i was hoping to go in the WRC. only time will tell ey.

no kiddin, best of luck in all your future ambitions.

no kiddin, best of luck in all your future ambitions.
    yeah you too

Quote Originally Posted by mustang123
    does anyone know how to get into professional motorsport. if so plz post
    Well what would you liek to achieve - what would be YOUR pinnacle ?
    preferences for tpye of car, track, circuit, rall, hot rod, kart ?
    What have you done so far ? Driving and racing ??
    What age are you ?
    How much money do you have ?
    How committed are you ??

To success in motorsport it takes many facets.
    First you have to be skillful and that can only be learned by practising.
    Mixing skills will confuse sponsors and supporters, so knowing you want to get to F1 will have a different approach for sponsors and funding than say rallycross.
    Second you need deep pockets. Famously Mansell mortgaged his house to pay for his last season in F3. If it hadn't led to F1 he would be homeless andpennilsee. The UK Cupra cup this year had a few drivers self-funding 'hoping' to get sponsorship. So you either need to be attractive to sponsors at driving or hospitality - preferably both
    Third, you need to learn the skill of the trade you want to follow.
    If that's rallying then getting tuition and onto grass-tracking would help and keep costs down.
    If it's circuit racing then kart's are a cheap place to start - if you're 12 now's a good time to start. Older and you need to recognise it'll be more difficult
    Fourth, you need focus. If you are NOT willing to put EVERYTHING second behind your career you won't make it to the top.
    Fifth, you need a practical view. Maybe it's not going to be full professional. Or F1. Then find out about what it takes at the level you WANT to be at. Their are plenty of books from drivers over the years on their success and failures.
    Sixth. Get into a car club and help others. This will help when you need assistance and again is a great learning ground. You could marshal at local tracks or rallies and learn what openings their are and hear the stories of guys who didnt' make it ( and why not )
    Finally, don't listen to folks putting you down ( back to 4 ). If YOU want to achieve it then you need to tackle it with your top goal in mind and make the investment to learn as quickly as you can and have professionals judge your skills. They will be objective about your chances and help you decide whether it's a professional career, semi-pro or amateur you can hope to have long-term.
    Hope this diatribe helps !!
    Happy to answer more specific questions once you've answered the above 7 questions. Then you can consider the best first tactical step to take in your career.
    Cheers
    I speak as someone who was lucky enough to try rallying at an early age and realised that whilst my reactions in FWD were fast enough, that in rear and 4WD I was NOT going to be at the peak of the sport. So I chose to keep it amateur and built a career in engineering ( electronics and computers ) to fund the playing. I don't regret it, I'd have been middle of pack and would have hated it.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

This secretly is my goal but ive hit a brick wall...im not 18 with no actual raceing experiance....so bascly im passedmy used by date ofbeomming a ture prefessional and the next briack wall...i have no money hence my hopes of enjoying myself in mildyexpensive raceing events such as hill climbs,targa events and club races...anythings possible my dream is torace in either nations cup (Basicly local FIAand is muchless glamerous) orGT-P (prduction based raceing on cars worth 100k or less) butmy goal is to seek enjoyment and some silver whare would be nice...professional raceing is not only a hobby but a job! rember you have to go through endless hours of physical training,testing,sponsoship gigs and so on.
    If my funds stabilise and life flattens out i more then likly will attempt to get a super sedan (known here as semi professional motorsport and a good stepping sone for those who have ture talent) but that will mroe then likly come after another car (im thinking a 93 rx7 sunds good for repalcement on my sunny ive initated a savage saveings plan and intend on buying in 2-3years) and a house and i no doubt will have other things that will get in the way....
    But all in all good luck...rember drive for the enjoyment...and think of anything else as a bonus!

You should try and become reborn again. Come back as either a famous race car drivers son or somebody rich enough to fund their own team. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by NAZCA C2
    You should try and become reborn again. Come back as either a famous race car drivers son or somebody rich enough to fund their own team. Good luck!
    Well yeah ill think of that when i pass the pearly gates....i like the idea of combineing the two ive tryed getting my grandfather to contact his nephew who just so happens to be a v8 supercar driver...Konica series (previously known as v8 lites) which is basicly the equvilent of the busch series in nacar a feeder level, but unfornutaly his response is i dont wanna talk to the bastard he hasnt tried to talk to me in years! (funny that richard has no way of conacting him....)

You should try and become reborn again.
    Nah, I choose to just stay up there and race Jim Clark, Nuvolari, Senna for half the time and Joey Dunlop, Barry Sheene and Steve Hislop the other half.
    Now THAT would be heaven
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Karting (little 2 stroke race cars) is probably the easiest motorsport to get involved with. You could probably find a karting club/organization in your country, I know there are several in the US. Most race drivers start by racing karts. Also you could join a ametuer racing series like the SCCA (there are probably similar series in the UK). All you would need is a car (with roll cage and other safety devices) and a liscense.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Karting (little 2 stroke race cars) is probably the easiest motorsport to get involved with.
    Dpends what you want to do.
    Karts are good for track stuff, grass-tracking is good for slip and rough-handling and mini-stocks for aggression

Karting (little 2 stroke race cars) is probably the easiest motorsport to get involved with. You could probably find a karting club/organization in your country, I know there are several in the US. Most race drivers start by racing karts. Also you could join a ametuer racing series like the SCCA (there are probably similar series in the UK). All you would need is a car (with roll cage and other safety devices) and a liscense.
    Do you know how oyu go about getting an SCCA liscence?
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Thread Information