Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Australia reels from second engine blow

Toyota Australia reels from second engine blow

Toyota Australia reels from second engine blow

Ian Porter , drive.com.au, 29/10/07

Local car maker Toyota has suspended sales of another model because of an engine problem, with the new V6-powered RAV4 closely following the Aurion TRD to the medi-lab. IAN PORTER and RICHARD BLACKBURN report.

Toyota has again been hit by an embarassing fault in a new model, with all Australian dealers being ordered to stop selling the new V6-powered RAV4 compact 4WD.

The RAV4 V6 launched only a fortnight ago to join the four-cylinder model launched in early 2006. A problem relating to the engine follows shortly after Toyota Australia's Aurion TRD resumed sales in October after an investigation into an engine failure.

Toyota Australia spokesperson Mike Breen says the RAV4's 3.5-litre V6, which is shared with the Aurion, Kluger, and Tarago, is not operating "as smoothly as would be expected", and there appears to be an issue with the engine's electronic managment control system.

The problem was detected in a couple of company demonstration models and the decision was made to stop customer deliveries as a "precautionary measure". "There has been no customer feedback," says Breen.

Breen says the problem does not constitute a recall. "It is not safety related so it isn't a product recall."

Toyota Australia reels from second engine blow - drive.com.au

Surprising, coming from Toyota.

But, Toyota's not the only one with engine problems. The new Cadillac CTS I think has a flawed engine design too.

How can the problem only affect Australian vehicles though?

The Rav 4 is sold almost everywhere. The basic design should still be the same.

So where is this second engine blowing up? All i'm seeing is talks of calibration issues.
    I am the Stig

Just a sensationalist headline by the website. There isn't any mention of an engine blowing up in the article.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 10-30-2007 at 05:39 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Engine blow as in a "blow to toyota" not a "blow up"..

They are having some issues this year, And it's becoming more public then ever.
    It wasn't so long ago i seen a broken down Toyota Corrolla, Reason why it caught my attention was that ad when the guy wouldn't stop for the hot chic because it was a set-up she was broken down in Toyota Corrolla, And "They never brake down"... So seeing this car almost ran me off the road, And it was the new Corrolla, Has Toyota Oz done something different maybe it's there suppliers?. What ever the issues are they keep close to there chest at the moment.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Oh dear - Toyota's reliability seems to be having a bit of a blow recently. Both here and O/S.

But really this is just an issue that's easily resolved.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I can't understand not having a recall? If it's computer related then it should be important just because 1-2 bugs stuff a engine or 2 doesn't mean they can't spread into something else just because they haven't showed up yet.

If Something like this was Ford/Holden they would be getting massive shit over right now.

I think because they've sold Jack all of them it's not an issue

they just call the person who did buy one and say "hey, your cars s**t, come in and we'll fix it".
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

LOL

The guy that calls numbers @ bingo just bought one, Mum was talking to him about it last week, I'll have to get some info..

It's just not toyota that's why i think it's a shock

The aruion engine did, this one just broke down.

Aurion engine is fixed, lower rev limit. A ecu fault is no big deal, even the VE had Bodycontol/ECU problems with cars stopping and no starting.

How many LS1s were replaced they first came out??? plenty...
    and how many were recalled??? SFA

Some quotes off the LS1 forums, even they cant see the big deal mate, you should get over it

Marco's reply form LS1
    To be fair to Toyota, they're not recalling them because they are blowing up engines, or burning oil, or developing piston slap....sounds more like they are pausing sales because the actual running of the engine isn't up to the standard expected.

DavvySS from the LS1 forums

After owning a 3.5 Kluger for the past six weeks all I can say is it is the most smoothest powerful V6 I have ever owned or driven and it even though its still tight (1600ks) returns 12.8 L/100 around town.I spoke to someone I know who had a new motor in his VE GTS who said his motor was number 12 with HSV in line so lets not kid ourselves.One blown motor in a Aurion with a supercharger is hardly cause for concirn...how many of us have had rebuilt motors,diffs,gearboxes in our LS1/LS2's under waranty??? at least Toyota pull the car from sale until sorted, imagine if Holden pulled commodores from sale because of failures....I sense a bankrupt manufacturer.

Even the holden guys see the fault as just that
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
    The aruion engine did, this one just broke down.
    Its not even that, Toyota simply felt the engine wasnt running smoothly which could be something simple like a misfire or the ignition timing not 100%
    I am the Stig

worst case scenario, drop your car in for 30 mins, ECU re-flash, drive away.

No biggy, id hardly say Toyota is "reeling" from it.
    The Datto will rage again...

If it were holden or ford they would be saying it was a big deal ..

I think Toyota needs to be criticized here for to long they have accepted they are bullet proof and so have there followers, This is a reality check and it will smarten them up, I'm sure of that because they don't want to see head lines like
    "Toyota Quality Issues"

But the big question is what have they done different For this to happen, That artical also says they have had issues with quality in the U.S so what has changed ?.

I think youre overlooking that this is perhaps a prime example of Toyota's quality control, rather than an instance where the apprentice got to put the car together. They immediately withdrew the car from sale because of a simple electronic glitch. Ford in comparison have never withdrawn sales of the XR6T yet continually called owners in to reflash the computers for overboosting issues. This is just causing so much fuss because the TRD Aurion blew an engine when they had a tool of a salesman bouncing it off the redline.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information