Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 long known European brands bite the dust

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    And TVR isn't closing its doors, they're simply relocating the factory. At least let's hope this official version is true
    Well if I'm not mistaken TVR is actually closing (temporarily) its factory, that means noTVR for a while, until the Russian boy (can't remember his name) decides to what to do next.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

No TVR makes me really sad. =(
    All I need: Audi S8 & Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Well if I'm not mistaken TVR is actually closing (temporarily) its factory, that means noTVR for a while, until the Russian boy (can't remember his name) decides to what to do next.
    Of course it is closing. How do you imagine relocating the whole manufactury without ceasing production? Plus, I'm not sure if they've already chosen the new location. Probably not. But they say it's not a problem as the dealerships have enough cars to last till the end of the year.
    Nevertheless, next year we're gonna have a TVR feast as it's their 60th anniversary

Oh, and the guy's name is Nikolai Smolenski. He's only two years older than me Some boys have all the luck...
    Last edited by go.pawel; 06-15-2006 at 05:27 AM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

"Autocar reveals that there are three live relocation possibilities on the tables, Wales, The Midlands or overseas. However no details will be released until TVR have informed Blackpool union officials of their decision. Insiders say that TVR anticipate that production will be up and running this time next year."

It is from Autocar though...
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    Of course it is closing. How do you imagine relocating the whole manufactury without ceasing production?
    Well yes of course, but I meant that the factory is not going to be relocated immediately, and as result the production will be halted for some months. But as you've said the dealers have enough cars so I suppose it's no big deal.
    Visca Catalunya!

TVR closing really sucks... Although I wouldn't mind Rover closing. What were they famous for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    TVR closing really sucks... Although I wouldn't mind Rover closing. What were they famous for anyway?
    Well the P5 and the P6 weren't bad at all especially with V8 power. And the SD1 was a good car if not a very well built one...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    I think Rover are probably best known for building cars...

They did build some good cars back before British Leyland and the Unions of the 70s & 80s. Struggling in the 90s they came up with a few combined projects with Honda (the 200/400, 25/45 was essentially a Civic), BMW bought them and put off the inevitable a while by developing the 75 before escaping with the Mini badge.

Rover did quite a few trick things with gas turbines back in the 40s/50s era.

Their best contribution to the world is probably the 3.5-litre V8 which they took from Buick who didn't want to put it into production.

Powered just about everything - Rovers, Range Rovers, Marcos, TVRs, Westfields...
    Thanks for all the fish

its just been on our local news that TVR have supposidly sorted out a new temp location somewhere else in blackpool hehe

dunno though i was kinda asleep
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

"TVR to stay in resort
    CAR giant TVR will today announce it is to stay in Blackpool.
    TVR bosses were today meeting with union chiefs before revealing the news.
    The Gazette understands a deal has been struck to keep TVR in the resort after it announced it was to close its Bristol Avenue factory within six months.
    Sites
    TVR laid off 71 workers in April with a further 260 jobs at risk.
    Blackpool Council bosses held showdown talks with TVR to try to keep them in the resort – offering a number of alternative sites for a factory in Blackpool.
    TVR said it wanted to be close to Blackpool International Airport and have good transport links.
    It is understood TVR has now agreed a site and was due to tell workers this afternoon.
    15 June 2006"

blackpooltoday.co.uk

"TVR to expand output at new car factory
    By John Griffiths,Motoring Editor
    Published: June 15 2006 03:00 | Last updated: June 15 2006 03:00

TVR, the Blackpool-based sports car maker owned by Russian oligarch Nikolai Smolensky, will announce tomorrow that it is to set up a new factory at an undisclosed location in the UK, people close to the company told the Financial Times last night.

The announcement should end fears of its 1,000-strong workforce that Mr Smolensky intended to move production out of the country, possibly to central or eastern Europe, to save costs."

F/T

As I said: All Hail Blackpool Automotive.
    Thanks for all the fish

That's pretty good news, I can't really imagine Smolenski really thought about shifting to mainland europe for production.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Yeah there moving from bristol avenue to Squirs gate becasue the lease is running out on the building there in atm in september.
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

This was in the "Blackpool Daily Badger" last Monday:

"It seems that TVR production will not cease despite the factory's total uprooting. Nikolai Smolenski explained as such: "We simply take all the uncompleted TVR's on the assembly line, and line them up ten feet apart in a quay stretching from Blackpool to our new location. As the workers walk past in a sort of 'bataan assembly march,' they will stoop to spot a weld, or tighten a bolt or spray a bit of paint or whatever." Although nobody in the auto industry would call Smolenski's plan timid, or even reasonable, it is without question that the most unconventional measures are being taken to transport the parts and tools required to maintain a modern assembly line. "I chose a series of sleighs pulled by a brace of polar bears to carry the parts and equipment because I really liked that Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe movie. It was the coolest because they have a Griffin in Narnia Too!," explained Smolenski.

Bizarre, But True.

It isn't true.

Thread Information