Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: attention engine tuners

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    You also have no idea how dubious it sounds when you can afford to build custom engines but not a digital camera or even a mobile phone with a camera.
    Ahh well you see I don't use much money making engines. I make really small ones (low material cost) and I use a workshop that I didn't pay for nor do I have to pay to use. Any money that I do use I save up for that purpose and I have already said that I have never really wanted a digital camera that bad and I hate mobile phones with cameras in them (because the pics they take are crap)

Oh and By the way I found the article about rod ratio and what it does and unfortunately I was off.

Rarely will you see a rod ratio over 2:1. the biggest I have heard of is 2.1:1 on the SR16VE (1.6L 200hp) Also I forgot to mention that rod ratio can help engine breathing. A low rod ratio helps low RPM breathing because it makes the piston accelerate faster from TDC which gets port velocity up sooner, improving low-rpm cylinder filling, fuel atomization, and ultimately torque output (the 1.43:1 rod ratio on the QR25DE helps make the high torque) Also a high rod ratio is beneficial to high RPM breathing because the piston doesn't accelerate away too fast and allows the expanding gasses to push more even at high RPM, also internal friction is lowered as well as peak piston speed.

However after all that rod ratio is something that you shouldn't even think/worry about unless you are building up an engine and find that you have some extra room for slightly longer conrods and equally short pistons so you don't lose any displacement or punch the piston through the top! then you might consider it.
    Last edited by hightower99; 07-01-2006 at 03:13 AM.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99

However after all that rod ratio is something that you shouldn't even think/worry about unless you are building up an engine and find that you have some extra room for slightly longer conrods and equally short pistons so you don't lose any displacement or punch the piston through the top! then you might consider it.
    agreed, that is something thats only of a concern to the guys that are actually designing the engine, but there's always some play in a production engine left and for hardcore tuners who are looking to do a rebuild anyways htis is something worth looking at, and even if this information is of no direct help to you ever, knowing it gives u a better understanding of the internals and operations of an engine and may indirectly help you sometime down the road

Thread Information