Thread: Stupid thread idea that wont go anywhere

Stupid thread idea that wont go anywhere

I know this isnt a smart idea for a thread topic... But, Ive noticed the poms are quite keen on our (aussie) V8 supercars, as in buying them and using them in their own V8 series... Im kind of curious to know where some of our famous (Ambrose, Skaife, Lowndes etc) cars have gone, whether they are still doing battle in australia in the Fujitsu series, or even in pomgolia, battling around Snetterton and other such dubious race tracks... Or, whether they are hopefully, locked away under lock and key in a private collection, still in their original liveries etc... Id like to think about starting a register online even, in the future. Any help tracking them down would be awesome.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27
    Or, whether they are hopefully, locked away under lock and key in a private collection, still in their original liveries etc...
    So you'd rather they be hidden away where nobody can enjoy them or see them? Personally i think that is a complete waste.

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    So you'd rather they be hidden away where nobody can enjoy them or see them? Personally i think that is a complete waste.
    In my opinion the most famous cars should be kept fully original and with their liveries, but not locked rather doing historics races or something similar. But the others if they still have life left, why not use them?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Didnt say that. Theres a guy here in oz called David Bowden, he owns heaps and heaps of old race cars and muscle cars, including the only XA GTHO phase 4 falcon race car in existence. He regularly has all these cars at a show, or on track demos. I much much prefer to see these cars in a collection, being looked after than to be raced every other weekend and possibly destroyed. Im not talking about the back of the pack POS's, (however I am interested to know where these cars have gone and whether theyve been totalled or restored or still racing) Im talking about race winning, ie Bathurst or Sandown etc cars with history that should remain unmolested.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

I personally love seeing them run round the tracks, a couple run round in Marque sports or Sports Sedans out at Mallala, they bloody sound great. Wished I could afford one to fang round. Although saying that we had enough trouble keeping 2 corollas running this race weekend
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

I think even if I owned say, a Dave Thruxton AU, which was barely faster than the pace car... If I owned it and raced it and wrote it off, id be just as mortified as I would be in say Brighty and Richo's Bathurst winning EL of 97... Even the shitbox cars have their place in history. One day they are going to be worth serious dollars. Does anyone know the whereabouts and status of the old cars, thats what Im asking, any help would be appreciated.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Racing cars are for racing. I can understand a championship winning car ending up in a museum; but that's the only exception I'll make.

I haven't seen any V8 supercars in the UK, I can't think of a series they'd be legal for.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

I believe theres a V8 saloon series there, Im probably wrong. Ive seen some cars advertised for sale there saying which championship they are elligible for but where that info went escapes me.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Those who read Australian Muscle Car will have seen the recent articles tracing the competition history of all of the V8 Supercars that have won at Bathurst (ie: from 1993 to 2005). Sadly, the 1996 winning car, the HRT Commodore of Craig Lowndes/Greg Murphy was destroyed in a massive accident and the shell sits at HRT waiting attention - there's some thought it might be rebuilt due to its significance (won the Aust Touring Car Championship, Sandown 500 and Bathurst in Lownde's hands in 1996). Also, the 1994 winning car, the DJR Falcon of Dick Johnson/John Bowe was destroyed in a big roll over at Phillip Island in 1995 - but DJR has built an exact replica of that car using all the salvageable parts and has it on display at their museum. The others are all alive and well from memory. The most significant/memorable of the V8 Supercar Bathurst winners is the 2001/2003 winning chassis (a Commodore used by HRT for Mark Skaife/Tony Longhurst in 2001 and the memorable win in 2003 in K-Mart colours for Greg Murphy/Rick Kelly) which holds the current qualifying record at Bathurst - 2m06.7 in Greg Murphy's hands. Its also the only chassis, from memory, to have won twice since 1993. I think that car will be preserved in its 2003 colours.
    There's a thread on www.ten-tenths.com in the section on Australian Touring Cars that charts the history and whereabouts of many of Australia's significant Touring cars. Worth checking for those who are interested.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

There's a Falcon AU run by Adam Sharpe in the European Endurance Racing Club's Britcar Endurance series - bright orange in colour and very competitive - check that series out here: http://eerc.co.uk/cms/news.php. Forget which team it came from, I think it was a car from a front running team (possibily ex-Ford Tickford Racing/Glen Seton), but I'd have to check that.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Racing cars are for racing. I can understand a championship winning car ending up in a museum; but that's the only exception I'll make.

I haven't seen any V8 supercars in the UK, I can't think of a series they'd be legal for.
    Yes - the Britcar Endurance Series - see above. There's also a new championship for V8 engined cars run by the same club with sprint format races.
    Of course, both of these series are 2nd tier series, mostly appealing to amatuer racers.

Thread Information