Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Shock: Camry has decent dynamics according to Wheels mag

he should of looked at the accord euro its a good car lots of room
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

As much as a Calais?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by charged

P:S If your doing any serious towing the only way is a 4WD, so your point of RWD is better for towing has suddenly become redundant

How many times do Australians tow a year ?, not to many I times I think
    Buy a Adventra

I haven't towed a single thing in my life
    But i must admit to never seeing a FWD tow anything ever.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

i've seen a 380 with a small trailer...
    to be honest an accord euro or mazda 6 would be my family car, i'd borrow dad's 4WD or my friends wrangler if i needed to tow
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Plus, my Dad had a look at the 6 when it came to getting a new car end of '04, said it was too small behind the wheel, he was brushing his head on the roof.
    He must be tall - I'm 6ft1in and had no problems getting comfortable behind the wheel of a Mazda6. My problem is not headroom - its legroom. I have long legs - even my currrent Falcon doesn't have a drivers seat that goes back far enough to be really comfortable. I end up compromising in every car I drive - usually by tilting the seat cushion.
    If you have a family of more than four - then a medium size car will struggle. So, to be honest will a Falcon/Commodore - they're wider and have more boot space, but that only goes so far. For families of five or more you really have to look up to (hate to say this...) a one of the soft-roaders like a Ford Territory or one of the various People Movers to accommodate everyone well.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    But i must admit to never seeing a FWD tow anything ever.
    Living in Sydney - I rarely see anybody tow anything.
    I used to tow reasonably large trailors with a FWD Ford Telstar. Even towed a dual-axle trailer full of all my mate's furniture with no drama - and trust me that trailor was heavy. The old Telstar's 76kW was more the issue - I wasn't going fast.
    And Dad has towed both a small boat and a camper-matic (smallish caravan with a roof that pops up) for over 15 years. And he hasn't owned a RWD since he got rid of his Falcon XD in 1990. Various FWD Ford Telstars and more recently a Hyundai Sonata.
    So, FWD can tow. The main reason the RWD Falcon/Commodore are in some ways preferable for towing is they are rated to tow higher loads than most FWDs (remember most FWDs are smaller and less powerful). Probably no higher than a Mits 380 which has similar power and a much stiffer chassis/body than either the VZ or BF. I reckon a Mits 380 could handle a heavy load no problem.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

if i was going buy a car just for towing i would buy a wrx wagon because i can tow heaps and has alot of oomph AND IF THATS not enough you can just bolt on junk to make it faster

and in reply to 2ndclasscitizens question just a bit smaller
    Last edited by acemotorsport; 07-30-2006 at 06:44 AM.
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

Why would you want a WRX? Theyve got fairly noticeable lag at the best of times, let alone when carting around an extra tonne
    I am the Stig

If I had to have a small turbo car for towing, not that I ever would , I think a Forester GT with the 2.5l turbo would be a better proposition and definetley an auto to keep the turbo spooled up.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

you add one of them turbos that the drifters use they cant afford to have lag

AFAIK they use any garden variety turbo they want, perhaps just opting for a ball bearing turbo. The also keep the engine in the higher rev range as well where peak power and torque are. Towing you want nice low and midrange.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    He must be tall - I'm 6ft1in and had no problems getting comfortable behind the wheel of a Mazda6. My problem is not headroom - its legroom. I have long legs - even my currrent Falcon doesn't have a drivers seat that goes back far enough to be really comfortable. I end up compromising in every car I drive - usually by tilting the seat cushion.
    If you have a family of more than four - then a medium size car will struggle. So, to be honest will a Falcon/Commodore - they're wider and have more boot space, but that only goes so far. For families of five or more you really have to look up to (hate to say this...) a one of the soft-roaders like a Ford Territory or one of the various People Movers to accommodate everyone well.
    Thats where a commodore is great, Someone like Bluey who is 7-10 196cm? about that would have to move the seat forward more, I can't touch the peddles all the way back lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Living in Sydney - I rarely see anybody tow anything.
    I used to tow reasonably large trailors with a FWD Ford Telstar. Even towed a dual-axle trailer full of all my mate's furniture with no drama - and trust me that trailor was heavy. The old Telstar's 76kW was more the issue - I wasn't going fast.
    And Dad has towed both a small boat and a camper-matic (smallish caravan with a roof that pops up) for over 15 years. And he hasn't owned a RWD since he got rid of his Falcon XD in 1990. Various FWD Ford Telstars and more recently a Hyundai Sonata.
    So, FWD can tow. The main reason the RWD Falcon/Commodore are in some ways preferable for towing is they are rated to tow higher loads than most FWDs (remember most FWDs are smaller and less powerful). Probably no higher than a Mits 380 which has similar power and a much stiffer chassis/body than either the VZ or BF. I reckon a Mits 380 could handle a heavy load no problem.
    The only thing that worries me with towing FWD cars is the light weight front they would have, So that might give traction and steering some problems.
    I have a bloody big heavy duty tow bar that i wont use, I wont tow with my car now, Love to get rid of it but it's built into the floor. Might be to much of a hassle to remove it all

Thats where a commodore is great, Someone like Bluey who is 7-10 196cm? about that would have to move the seat forward more, I can't touch the peddles all the way back lol.

The only thing that worries me with towing FWD cars is the light weight front they would have, So that might give traction and steering some problems.
    I have a bloody big heavy duty tow bar that i wont use, I wont tow with my car now, Love to get rid of it but it's built into the floor. Might be to much of a hassle to remove it all
    Never being an issue in my experience. Don't forgot that most of the weight of any front engined car is over the front wheels, and FWD are actually heavier at the front than most RWD cars.

Heavier at the front for better steering and grip, But with some heavy loads on the back thats got to lighten up the front. Make the steering light on RWD I have felt the front in the wet slip over bumps on harder braking.

i have found in the VT commodore onwards i can put the seat all the way back and drive but just a touch forward is best.

Get a heavy duty angle grinder out slick
    The Datto will rage again...

Thread Information