Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Williams Toyota 2007

Williams Toyota 2007

http://www.formula1.com/news/4692.html

Well, now that Williams has the Toyota engines, where does this leave Midland for next year? I'd be willing to bet Cosworth wont want anything to do with them, neither would Ferrari I guess, and its a pipe dream to even consider Renault... Its rumoured the team is for sale, but without a engine deal, the value of it has plummeted in my books.
    Oh yeah, and which order will the names go... Williams Toyota or Toyota WilliamsF1?
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Its going to be Williams Toyota.

Midland i suspect will go back to Cosworth. Toro Rosso look like they could pick up RBR's Ferrari supply as the A team go for Renault power. That would leave Cosworth without any teams to supply, and i think they would be willing to get around any grudge or issue with Midland to remain in the category.
    I am the Stig

According to http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17182.html

The deal is for three years and Williams is now in a very good position if Toyota does decide that Panasonic Toyota Racing is never going to make it and decides to fall back on an alternative challenge. That may sound far fetched but in CART racing it should be remembered that Toyota backed Dan Gurney's All American Racers for several years before lack of success led to a switch to Chip Ganassi - and success.

If Toyota are looking for success they need not look to Williams.

Currently the Toyota ream is ahead of Williams in the drivers and constructors points....I don't think it's all engine related.

Its very clearly an aero deficiency with the williams car, everyone thats said anything in the press thats from that team admits aero is their major hurdle. I wonder if their might be a bit of info coming across from toyota f1? No point having one toyota at the back and one sorta nearly on the podium is there.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

I don't think Williams problem is even aero, it's just the team can't get the job done.

I think if they had have had an adult design the hydraulic system on that car, they may have picked up a win or two at the start of this year. Now, even if everything was up to spec, that Cosworth motor isnt keeping up with the major companies, its not setting fastest speeds in sectors anymore in practice and qualy, and thats a shame I think. Because it was such an awesome thing last year when it was announced that team willy and cosy were going to be a force in 06. Was a real David and goliath thing. Shame the reliability wasnt there, and the car had too much drag.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

I never thought that Cossie would be that much of a threat upon their return just because they had a successful history...it's a different game now.

But they were pretty bloody good at the start of the year, everyone here expected it, everyone i spoke to anyway. Ya have ta remember it was mostly renault and cosworth that formulated the rules for the v8 engine.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

The Williams has been a good car when it works, you'd have to be blind not to see that. Its badly lacking development and the engine is starting to now as well. Theyve now got some form of manufacturer backing again which will help with sponsorship. Its hardly game over for Williams
    I am the Stig

People have been holding their breath waiting for Williams to do something for several years...BMW was going to be the savior then Cosworth...still nothing.

They no longer have what it takes, only ten wins since 1997.

Thats still 10 wins more than teams like Honda and Toyota in that timeframe.

Williams are still regarded as having one of the strongest engineering devisions. Theyve got their full scale wind tunnel working. Theyve got capable drivers. The only thing that has been lacking this year is budget. There is still alot to indicate Williams can turn around their form, especially as theyre one of 3 teams that will benefit from all teams using Bridgestone next year.
    I am the Stig

The Cosworth reliabilty has been the main problem IMO. Like someone said before, when the engine didn't blow up, they were doing pretty good. Its engine changes and retirements that were killing them. I don't remember Toyota having much if any engine trouble this year, so maybe that will carry over to next year. I just hope they don't get rid of Nico...

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Thats still 10 wins more than teams like Honda and Toyota in that timeframe.

Williams are still regarded as having one of the strongest engineering devisions. Theyve got their full scale wind tunnel working. Theyve got capable drivers. The only thing that has been lacking this year is budget. There is still alot to indicate Williams can turn around their form, especially as theyre one of 3 teams that will benefit from all teams using Bridgestone next year.

Are you saying the current Honda and Toyota teams have as much experience as Williams does running an F1 team? They have superior budgets that's all...and Renault have proven budgets don't buy you wins.

The Cossie engine is still one of the best on the grid. It's more powerful than the Toyota and the BMW... sonic analysis reckons it's putting out 755bhp at 20,100rpm.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Thread Information