Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Jag S-Type

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    The Saturn Ion with the RX-8 like door preceded it by a few years, but it's a different segment than the RX and it only had one rear door. Also, suicide doors first saw light in Pickups. Pickups are also the first traditionally 2-door vehicles to make the transition to 4-door, with models like the Hilux from Toyota.
    Lancia was there before the pick up trucks, the image attached is an Appaia saloon from 1961. But Lancia started using sucide doors for its 4-door saloons as early as in the 30's with the Augusta, and possibly you could find even earlier applications of suicide cars, most probably of coahbuilt cars.

Lancia again were first to present a concept car of a 2-door Coupe with two small suicide doors in the back with the Floride II in 1957, designed by Stablimenti Farina. It formed the basis of the Flaminia saloon released that same year, and the concept car was Battisa Farina's personal car until his death.
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    The CLS is the first premium 4-door Coupe that'll be followed by the Jag, Porsche, Aston, among others I'm sure. Still, Mercedes is the first to bring such a car to the segment in modern times.
    I can't agree with that, see Rover example on the post above yours (and yes in the 60's Rover was prestigious).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ferrer; 12-25-2006 at 04:53 AM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I found this in the unabridged copy of the Autoexpress article.

"This car is definitely "feline" good, if you ask me. The engine purs like a "kitten" also and I think the styling is "purrrr-fect," except for the front, which leaves me feeling "cat"-atonic. You see, I got fired from my old job helping mentally challenged kids get on the school bus, but luckily Autoexpress hired me and next thing I know, I'm writing about some new Jag. Life's funny sometimes, if you "Cat" - ch my drift, and Cats look good when they're cars, I think."

Anyway, the styling of the grill and headlights looks deeply, deeply bad. But maybe, like the XK, it'll look better in the flesh than it does in photos.
    I'm erudite ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Lancia was there before the pick up trucks, the image attached is an Appaia saloon from 1961. But Lancia started using sucide doors for its 4-door saloons as early as in the 30's with the Augusta, and possibly you could find even earlier applications of suicide cars, most probably of coahbuilt cars.

Lancia again were first to present a concept car of a 2-door Coupe with two small suicide doors in the back with the Floride II in 1957, designed by Stablimenti Farina. It formed the basis of the Flaminia saloon released that same year, and the concept car was Battisa Farina's personal car until his death.
    Did not know that. Good to know. I guess the appeal of having 4-door convenience will a sporting flair has always been a part of the automotive scene.

I can't agree with that, see Rover example on the post above yours (and yes in the 60's Rover was prestigious).
    In the absolute sense, yes, Mercedes isn't the first to make a 4-door coupe. But, just like the MX-5 re-started the affordable roadsters class of car, Mercedes is the first to bring the slinky 4-door back.

With more than a hundred years of auto history it's tough to do firsts, mostly there are just reintroduced concepts.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

hmm i was under the impression this was the new s type

it is certainly much prettier the message is spouse to be "no more retro"

Quote Originally Posted by why?
    hmm i was under the impression this was the new s type

it is certainly much prettier the message is spouse to be "no more retro"
    THat pic is just immaculate...I'd be so much happier if that were the S type

Thread Information