Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Eastern Creek Classics 2006

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Very well, sounds like fun. Probably why most of the LX Torana's I saw at the Shannon's show all had ~285 rears
    IIRC the stock Torana SS wore 205x13 on tiddly 6" steel rims

Those old Holden V8 engines sounded magnificent with their really distinctive & barky exhaust note
    Last edited by nota; 08-29-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Well I must say it was a pleasure to meet up with these two fellow members

In a related highlight of the day, your dauntless UCP correspondents also ventured onto an ancient (1930s?) Sydney double-decker bus for a Hot Lap around the Eastern Creek race circuit. So there we were up in the top deck of this old AEC bus that was packed to capacity, and boy did it list alarmingly around the hairpins which obliged all of the upstairs passengers to lean right in through the corners, just like a motorcyclist, in an attempt of pure self-preservation

This bus ride included a truly 'believe it or not' moment wherein we overtook a string of Falcon GTs up the inside of Turn 4!

Unfortunately I arrived quite late after getting lost deep in the sticks of west Sydney, so only a few pics from me .. starting with this rare & pretty Jensen-bodied Austin A40 (import)
    why the photos nș 3 and 4 don't permit "save a copy"? is a so nice car...
    "I don't take any photo, just collect in all the web and share"

Quote Originally Posted by ribatejo69
    why the photos nș 3 and 4 don't permit "save a copy"? is a so nice car...
    sorry... number 2 and 3...
    "I don't take any photo, just collect in all the web and share"

But yes the 5-Litre SS's were & still are light, brutally torquey and probably way overpowered, requiring finesse and concentration, lacking the easily accessible precision of earlier-gen XU-1s .. and yes despite this or more probably because of it, the good ones are an absolute gas to drive

Does this answer your Q?
    When I was an apprentice diesel mechanic many years ago, one of the older mechanics has a genuine A9X white hatchback complete with drop tank and 14X10rear and 14X8 front Aunger Hotwires. It was truley sex on wheels. it also has the 2.6:1 moonshot diff. As our gogomobile mate says "it would be worth a pretty penny" now.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Well I must say it was a pleasure to meet up with these two fellow members
    Likewise, it was a pleasure meeting you Nota. We'll have to do it again next year. This event will hopefully be an annual excursion for me. Hopefully more of the NSW/ACT (and of course anyone who wants to travel from further afield) members of UCP will be able to join us next year.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 08-30-2006 at 06:01 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

From both of you I learnt a lot, lots I would have walked past and not even noticed eg P76 Force 7 V.

Thanks for the great day.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

wish i was there...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I am the proud owner of the SS Hatchback pictured. It's certainly torquey, and great fun to drive (except in the wet!). The steering's a bit heavy though, but I'm told that replacing the steering box with one from a UC is the way to go.

I'm glad that someone thought to photograph it and put it onto this site.

Davo

Huge power and rear wheel drive is never fun in the wet, unless you're a masochist...

Some of the Sierra Cosworths pictured had the same problems, causing some very nasty surprises for would-be ram-raiders nicking the cars and trying to be rally drivers.

Welcome to the site, that's one clean muscle car just watched Mad Max, I'm very jealous of some of the muscle cars you have out there... Chris, please can you send me a Mustang in RHD?

Quote Originally Posted by dhealy
    I am the proud owner of the SS Hatchback pictured. It's certainly torquey, and great fun to drive (except in the wet!). The steering's a bit heavy though, but I'm told that replacing the steering box with one from a UC is the way to go.

I'm glad that someone thought to photograph it and put it onto this site.

Davo
    Hi Davo, welcome to UCP and glad you didn't mind my photo of your beastie And that you might agree with my drive-sentiments?

From memory your car looked to be a tidy & well-loved unit, congratulations & btw I envy you. Even 30 years later I still recall how heavy the tiller was on that dealer-car I had use of. Parking it was OMG, so to paraphrase Maggie Thatcher: 'this car's not for turning'

Power steering was a rare factory option on certain Toranas and could be the way to go imho, even if you had to adapt it from a Commodore

I remember 'my' LX SS (the Mango dealer car mentioned) was one of the transitional-model LXs and unusually equipped with a stalk-mounted headlight flasher, but not the HX/UC multi-function wiper stalk as it still had the usual wiper-switch on the dash. I also remember doing a right-hand turn in that SS from one busy divided hwy onto another (Burwood rd to North rd, Melbourne) and flooring the throttle from a mere rolling-idle, with clutch already engaged. This instantly resulted in major LSD wheelspin and screaming 180+ spinout, virtually within a cars length & blocking the intersection, then being stared down by a bevy of frowning motorists

Gee those cars have balls, and BIG ones. I was literally doing under 10mph at the time No one can dislike a car that'll do that!
    Last edited by nota; 01-09-2007 at 08:57 PM.

I purchased the vehicle just last Easter, from the original owner. It had always been garaged, so was in excellent nick.

And it does have one of the transitional dipper switch/headlight flasher stalks on the steering column.

Maybe you might consider sharing some pics and description of your very cool Torana SS in the Users Rides section? Or perhaps in Classics, with a model history?

It'd be great for UCP to see some genuine Aussie Muscle on show and I'm sure you'd drop a few jaws on this international forum

Thread Information