Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got $2000 to spend on a Cam what should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    How big exactly is a Rebel?
    Dimensions (W x H x D)4.98 x 3.71 x 2.63 in./126.5 x 94.2 x 64mm
    Weight 17.1 oz./485g

Courtesy:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=11154

And that's before you throw on a lens and battery.

It's not a huge burden to carry, but after 4-5 hours in 90+ degree heat with 80% humidity, it's more than you want to carry.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Kingdom of Tonga South Pacific for the time being..
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Honestly, you really don't need anything over ~6mp. Especially if you don't plan on printing pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    ...lets be honest, are you gonna print larger than like 20x30?
    I work in Advertising and this will be my work camera. I have the capabilities to produce Billboards and Large Scale corporate banners so thanks for jumping to conclusions on the use of my MPs but in my case 6Mps is nothing. Ill be needing 8+Mps since my old camera used to have 8mps and anything below would be a downgrade.

like many things in life, you sacrifice more and get more in return, you pay more you get more, you waste energy carrying a heavyass camera and you have the capabilities of producing timeless images that can be sold to magazines, stock picture companies, newspapers or even sold through studios to the oh-so popular upper class who have the money is no object mentality.
    And before I get any comments about the Studio thing Ill clarify any doubts, I have friends who own studios and galleries and sell Photography to these 'socially elite' as their sole income and are banking. They are my ticket into this market. My friend uses a 12MP cam for his work which is sometimes something like 120" across.
    Last edited by Rebirth of Xar; 08-28-2006 at 08:47 PM.
    The Rebirth of Xarzy
    >>XxLEASxX<<
    To My Unborn Child
    UCP's Resident Jack Armstrong

If you are going to be doing billboards/large items, I would recommend the 5D, 12.8mp. It's also full frame.

Go for Nikon D80. If it's not out yet, wait for it...

Either the Canon 20D or the Nikon D70 with some money left over for some good lenses. Maybe an actual professionals camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth of Xar
    I work in Advertising and this will be my work camera. I have the capabilities to produce Billboards and Large Scale corporate banners so thanks for jumping to conclusions on the use of my MPs but in my case 6Mps is nothing. Ill be needing 8+Mps since my old camera used to have 8mps and anything below would be a downgrade.
    Hmmm, when asked on forums, most photogs who do that sort of work use medium format bodies, either film and then scan later, or with digital backs. Not 35mm. And

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    If you are going to be doing billboards/large items, I would recommend the 5D, 12.8mp. It's also full frame.
    Don't bother with that. You may as well go all out on a 1Ds if you're going FF 35mm, or as I said, get an MF camera.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

do you really need $2000 camera? good luck with fining a good one i don't know much about them.

Kingdom of Tonga South Pacific for the time being..
    you find me a 5D with lens for $2000 and Ill give you a copy of all the pictures I take!
    The Rebirth of Xarzy
    >>XxLEASxX<<
    To My Unborn Child
    UCP's Resident Jack Armstrong

Nikon D200 and get that basic Nikon kit lens that comes with the D70/D80. It's a very good lens and can be had very cheaply (dirt cheap second hand). DO NOT bother with that D50 D70 crap if you're going to use it somewhat profesionally, same goes for the rebel. Don't get the Canon 20D, it doesn't do spot metering. If you have to get a Canon make sure it's the 30D. The D200 is, IMHO, the best camera you buy at that price.

Why am I recommending the D200 ? A. I'm a Nikon guy, sorry about that. B.It's GREAT bang for the buck price/features. C. MOST IMPORTANTLY ! It has a decent viewfinder. ALL other digital cameras, bar the FF cameras and the D2x/h have CRAP viewfinders. I can not stress enough how important this is when using your camera professionally. !

And tbh, if you're really going to use it professionally than for your own good, up your budget and get some serious glass. This may sound cocky but when you're income depends on it...it'll be worth it.

Also having a gazillion MPs isn't necessary when doing billboard ads. Think about it. The things are hanging high in the sky with a lot of distance between the board and the eye of the viewer. Since they eye can only resolve so much detail it won't really matter too much. A billboard can look crappy from up close (and they do). It doesn't matter because it looks good from a distance. You'd be surprised at how low a resolution those things are printed.

my 2 cents

EDIT: something just sprung to mind. If the D200 is too much then get a Fuji S3 Pro. It ROCKS. The best dynamic range on the planet. Best in camera JPEG engine, the JPEGs looks awesome. Absolutely fantastic colors. 12MP. Nikon mount. And it's only $1000 at the moment, or maybe even less at some places !
    Last edited by Lagonda; 08-29-2006 at 12:24 PM.

I'd go for a D200, or if it's too expensive I'd wait for the Canon EOS 400D (12MP according to Déclic Photo).

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117
    I'd go for a D200, or if it's too expensive I'd wait for the Canon EOS 400D (12MP according to Déclic Photo).
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14256

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117
    It's a plastic toy camera just like all the other Rebels (300/350D). I can not recommend this for professional use.

Not saying it's a bad camera. It's isn't. But not for a pro.

That was an old issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    And that's before you throw on a lens and battery.

It's not a huge burden to carry, but after 4-5 hours in 90+ degree heat with 80% humidity, it's more than you want to carry.
    Good point.

Thread Information