Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Bollards Fight Back

When Bollards Fight Back

Was trying to link the video directly, but couldnt work it out

http://www.autocarmagazine.com/news_...p?na_id=222787

Click on the link from there - some serious damage happening to the vehicles and occupants. They must feel sooooo gutted. The bollards come up pretty fast too.
    Porsche!

Wow, that's hilarious!

So bollards are supposed to be moveable traffic pylons that allow bus traffic or whatever exclusive access to the street?

That's genious!

WIsh they implemented this stuff here in the states.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R

WIsh they implemented this stuff here in the states.
    You've never been to Washington, DC, have you (or at least not since 2001)? Similar barriers are pretty common around government buildings and other high profile, high security places.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

i watched that before and it's a genius invention, but whats terrible is that they lives (and the lives of their wife and children in video 2) in danger just to take a shortcut...

Yeah but I guess the bus stops aren't confidential and official enough for D.C.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

They have them around Bham town centre for service vehicles and the like, but they're deep within the pedestrian areas. Once, they were down, and as they were coming up a friend of mine managed to trip over it!!! Was one of the funniest things.

But this is some serious damage being done in all three vids, the first car looked messed with the smoke coming out, and obviously the second example was the worst. He came at it with such speed. If the bollard had got higher, the car would have crumpled like in a normal accident and taken some of the blow, but it just jammed into the car and brought it to a dead halt.
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA)
    You've never been to Washington, DC, have you (or at least not since 2001)? Similar barriers are pretty common around government buildings and other high profile, high security places.
    You're right, I haven't been there since 2001. It looks a bit short, I bet a higher vehicle could just hop over them. I'd increase the hight of the bollards a bit more.

wow, if they did put that into the states, someone would get sued into bankruptcy. Some idiot will ignore the sign(s), warning, and other forms of protection, crash and sue.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Guest Guest
    heard about these, but never seen them, christ their violent!

lmao owned!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

i think the first car could have easly passed on the right side of the bollards, what idiots.. specialy the CRV one, with a kid in the back...
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    wow, if they did put that into the states, someone would get sued into bankruptcy. Some idiot will ignore the sign(s), warning, and other forms of protection, crash and sue.
    No, the first case would be just hilarious, but small. Then the sign company will get sued to hell and back for causing people to crash while they try to read the 15,000words of fine print at the bottoms of the signs
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    No, the first case would be just hilarious, but small. Then the sign company will get sued to hell and back for causing people to crash while they try to read the 15,000words of fine print at the bottoms of the signs
    yeah, the goverment would be bankrupt in days.
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

we have bus traps here
    which are giant holes in the ground so wide that most family cars/vans/SUVs/pickups cant get over them
    sadly last week two boys tried to mess around with it by placing two large stones on the place the bus treads were suppose to go. a bus launched a stone. it hit one of the boy's head. the boy went into a coma and is now dead

I assume the bus driver/friend of none dead boy was found to be the one at fault and promptly sued because it just CAN'T be his own fault.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Thread Information