Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damn Buick Le Sabre

Now, for many years, Euro cars have made do with their batteries under the bonnet, where they ****in' should be. How are American cars any different?

If you ask me, that smacks of poor design so that mechanics changing things can make an extra buck on getting the car sorted out. Extra time = extra monies. It's all about the benjamins.

*waits for Slicks to come into the thread and tell me that I'm ignorant and have no clue what I'm talking about*

Well Japanese cars generally don't have the same problems either. I've never worked with 300ZX's, but Honda seems to doing pretty well (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    How do you know the alternator is fine?
    I can't say that I know, at least not definitively, I simply have no reason to suspect it. Basically I am giving it the benefit of the doubt. I suppose it could be the alternator, but I am chalking this one up to the battery-as it won't hold a charge.

As for the MGB. It's not so much the concept that annoys me, more the fact that it was 30 degrees this morning, and the car is so big I could barely get the jumper cables to the battery. If I bought an MG it would have to a coupe and the interior would be stripped out-so I don't have to rip a seat out at 5am.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    I can't say that I know, at least not definitively, I simply have no reason to suspect it. Basically I am giving it the benefit of the doubt. I suppose it could be the alternator, but I am chalking this one up to the battery-as it won't hold a charge.

As for the MGB. It's not so much the concept that annoys me, more the fact that it was 30 degrees this morning, and the car is so big I could barely get the jumper cables to the battery. If I bought an MG it would have to a coupe and the interior would be stripped out-so I don't have to rip a seat out at 5am.
    As an ex-MGB owner I can relare to jump-starting those mid-mounted & twin-6v battery setups

Batteries have a finite lifespan. And I'd guess that Buick designers wished to centralise/accomodate the (not inconsiderable) weight of the battery within the FWD wheelbase, to aid chassis balance. Of vehicles which feature mid-mounted batteries, some of the better designed examples (new VE Commodore eg) have incorporated a provision for jump-starting via some additional remote post-connectors located under the bonnet

In my experience one expense car enthusisasts shouldn't compromise with is when purchasing jumper leads. Quality tell-tales include really heavy & thick cables that are also realistically long, and be sure to check for clamp-jaws that can open wide enough to fit over those broad battery-lead clamps
    Last edited by nota; 10-24-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    The non-enthusiast doesn't change their own batteries anyway. Sure it's an inconvenience for the tech, but he's probably making at least an hour on that battery change.
    Well its not just problematic in case it needs replacement ! Over here first thing firefighters do in case of a crash is take the battery out Even before they go towards the driver In that case its pretty outright dangerous and criminal !!!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Well, BMW puts its batteries under the back seat, too, right? And I don't hear anybody complaining about that...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

That is proof in itself that when GM designs cars, they are on crack. And when they run out of crack, they create stuff like the Corvette and the Aurora.

Quote Originally Posted by Prius
    That is proof in itself that when GM designs cars, they are on crack. And when they run out of crack, they create stuff like the Corvette and the Aurora.
    And when parents take crack, they have kids like you.

and the Aurora.
    People actually bought those?
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    People actually bought those?
    Of course not. Car and Driver once said the Oldsmobile Aurora was the best car GM had built in years - and thus GM made every effort to destroy it, or something to that effect.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

More like the Corvette and Solstice/Sky. Not to mention CTS-V and STS-V.

Thread Information