Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hmm. Registration Reqirements.

Hmm. Registration Reqirements.

My brother and I are thinking about buying, importing and assembling a British kit car. We are currently just kicking around ideas and doing some research. I have been to the Maryland MVA's website(For the Europeans who don't know, that's where one goes to register a vehicle), and it seems that all I need is some paper work showing that the frame was assembled professionally and that I own all the components used and I am goo to go. However, it has raised some questions I am hoping some one from the East Coast can help me with.
    -Will customs allow importation of a car in kit form?
    -Does the car really have to appear to be a replica as stated here?
    "How do I title a kit car?

A kit car consists of a body, steering system, frame, and related accessories intended for assembly with an excess or salvage engine, transmission driveline, rear suspension, rear axle and related accessories. A kit car has the outward appearance of a Historic or Street Rod vehicle (though it is not titled as such).

You can apply for a title in person at the Glen Burnie branch office. Typically, you will need to submit the following documents:

Proof of ownership – The ownership document must be for the vehicle frame used in building the kit car:

If the frame is new (kits usually have a new frame included), the certificate of origin included with the kit is required.
    If the frame is from a used vehicle, a title for the vehicle in your name or a title that has been properly assigned to you is required.
    If the frame is from a salvaged vehicle, a salvage certificate in your name or a certificate that has been properly assigned to you is required.
    Other documents that may establish ownership are:

Registration document and bill of sale – ONLY if the state from which the frame was obtained did not issue a title (usually because of the vehicle’s age).
    Sales receipts
    Application – You may use either the back of the Maryland title, if applicable, or the Application for Certificate of Title to request the new title (and registration, if applicable). When the Maryland title is used as the application form, complete the section entitled Application for Title and Registration.
    Proof of purchase price – You must submit the bills of sale and/or receipts for all parts and labor.
    Odometer disclosure statement - You may use the manufacturer’s certificate of origin or the title to document the mileage of the vehicle. A separate odometer disclosure statement may also be submitted. Usually the mileage is “0” unless the frame was taken from a used/salvaged vehicle
    Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (if applicable) - A new vehicle identification number (VIN) may be assigned to the completed vehicle. The Maryland State Police will install the new VIN plate after they have inspected it.
    Maryland safety inspection certificate - A safety inspection is required if the vehicle is being registered at the same time (most cases).
    Your title will be mailed to you. If you also register the vehicle (most cases), your registration card, license plates and expiration date stickers can be provided immediately when you apply in person to the MVA; otherwise, these items also will be mailed to you."
    -Are there any restrictions on RHD cars?
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Dude, get a Caterham

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Dude, get a Caterham
    We aren't made of money down here. I wish I could, but, when they start at 26k, it just isn't going to work.

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

www.1gracing.com

Technically a British kit car, but it's just a production car you buy engine seperately...
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Have you considered the cost of not just the purchase, but the import and duty costs? Maybe you would be better off buying an American kit car if cost is an issue?
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Buy a Westfield Sport

There are loads of other seven replica kits, that not hold the name Caterham nor the price!!
    You get very decent kits from Luego (the same as Suka has), MK Engieneering (I have from them), and westfield, Tiger... ++++
    Do a search.. there are many good kit car sites and forums on the net..

And your concern on RHD, I don't know if that is leagal or illeagal where you are, but converting it to LHD is not a big problem, my brother has doen that to his MK chassis..

I took the liberty of doing a litle search for you, if you don't mind

Luego..

MK Sportscars..

and...

their ownersclub forums.. A good place to ask about you concerns.. as they may have done what you want to do, or knows someone who has done it...

Oh.. that one is down now, but the page that it redirects you is also a good place to start: Locost builders forums

Tiger racing cars...

Westfield..

Dax also have a cool Seven replica.. they have a chatroom to..
    DAX...

Raw Striker is also a hot Seven replica..
    Raw Striker..

This seems to be a good DVD for kit builders..
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 11-25-2013 at 01:14 PM.

get with some of the 7 builders and clubs, they often encounter the same issues with not just titling, but insurabce as well, i know that you cant cover kit cars in NC for some strange reason. VA will give licenses to any car, but it will cost you an arm and a leg. there are ways around everything, but they are difficult.

as for rhd, it is completely legal in all 50 states. (postal trucks?)

EDIT: started playing around on 7 replica sites and found this grazy GM V6 powered one
    http://www.bruntonauto.com/index.htm
    Last edited by cmcpokey; 10-30-2006 at 12:09 PM.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Have you considered the cost of not just the purchase, but the import and duty costs? Maybe you would be better off buying an American kit car if cost is an issue?
    Yes. I have considered that. I had a friend run some number for me and it really shouldn't be that bad. Somewhere around 2-4 thou to get it into the country. While we're on this note, do you know of any American kits. I am not sure I want to go with a Seven replica, and I am thinking about a Fisher Fury, a Sylva riot, a Toniq R, and some other things(including various Sevens). Though, I am open to pretty much anything right now.
    http://www.kitcarusa.com/kit_cars_manu_list.php
    American kits seem to be more, well, American, and that's just not what I like.
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 10-30-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Find an American kit car club and ask them. Buy an american made 7, and one that can take a V8, the Fisher/Sylva aren't that good that you should pay twice as much for them.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

The only American 7 style kit I can find is a Brunton Stalker, and it's 16000 dollars. It's quite nice though, so it's a stong possibility. I actually like it. There is a lot to look into. So, what exactly is wrong The Sylva Riot and the Fisher Fury? Or is it just that they aren't worth the hassle?

Basically yeah, they are good but not worth it imo.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Buy a tube bender, welder and some tube steel and make your own.

Thats kind of expensive. Even so plenty of metal shops will bend them for you.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Thread Information