Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
I didn't, and admiteddly my short diesel experience is limited to a rather awful Audi A6 2.5 TDI Quattro. That had an awful sound and no low range punch.

However no that long ago I had the opportunity to drive shortly one of the new BMW 330i. Now I know it is seriously ugly, but what a car. The engine was sweet, willing to rev and good sounding. The diesel should be very good indeed to beat it.

I reckon that for people that do very high mileages the diesel is a better option, but I think that for pleasure of driving pushing a good petrol engine to the redline it's still better than pushing a diesel engine, even if the diesel is better performing and more frugal.

Of course that's just my opinion. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but at least for now I wouldn't be buying a diesel car over the equivalent petrol, alotugh that doesn't mean that if I tested it I could end liking it. Somehow I doubt it, though.
I've had plenty of experience with Audi A6 2.5TDI's as courtesy cars and test-drive cars, they really were good, but I have to say it was better in the A4 Avant, it literally can make that car fly, noting from the back seat...

I've just been out in my ex girlfriends Dad's '06 Mercedes ML320 CDI I have to say it's the most refined diesel I've ever been in, maybe even car over all. The engine was almost silent and by god it can move that car. I can tell you for one that it packs quite a punch. Standstil, then flooring it on a roundabout. Head + Window = ouch!