Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Aurion AT-X and Holden Commodore VE Omega Road Tested by MSN

Yeah - the 380 gets cops an unfair amount of flak. Largely undeserved.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

For my part I suppose I would never buy either base model so it comes down to these -
    One is a rear wheel drive V8 and one is a front wheel drive six.

No contest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Of course a magazine devoted to the thrill of driving places a high emphasis on dynamics - whats the point of driving, as they see it, if you don't enjoy it.

The Aurion is a competant vehicle and, since it's at the right price, thats all many people will need to convince themselves it's the right purchase. Given the choice, from a personal preference, i still wouldn't buy one. I think it looks hideous, and, just as a personal thing, i'd still feel as though i was buying a big Camry, and thats something i hope never to have to do
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Yes, an enthusiast magazine will place a high emphasis on dynamics. And usually on performance/engine as well.
    Commodore wins one category - with Falcon keeping it honest and the others a little behind.
    Aurion wins other category - with Falcon keeping it honest and others a little behind.
    Explains how the Falcon finished second - it combines both dynamics and performance, which is more than fair enough. In fact, I'm surprised it didn't win since that's more of an ideal combination to most enthusiasts than just handling or just performance.
    I have noticed that Wheels tunes its criteria in accord with the type of cars it is comparing. For instance, dynamics don't rate as the number 1 criteria when they compare small cars, which is why the Fiesta has never won a comparison.
    Interestingly dynamics is rated as an important criteria, perhaps the most important criteria, whenever the magazine compares the mid-size 4-cylinder cars (Mazda6, Camry, Accord Euro, etc) and full-size 6-cylinder cars (Falcon, etc) despite the fact these cars are not usually aimed at performance/sporting drivers. Exceptional dynamics is more a bonus than a necessity in family cars, and a few Korean products aside, its not like there's many complete dynamic dunces in either the 4-cyl or 6-cyl class.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    For my part I suppose I would never buy either base model so it comes down to these -

No contest.
    Agreed - no contest. Huge power difference/sporting potential difference for a start. But a V8 versus a V6? Doesn't seem quite right somehow, especially when the V6 is normally aspirated. Yeah, I know, Aurion is more a large mid-size car than a full size car - so it may seem a little unfair comparing with Commodore V6 at times (despite similarities in engine size/power/performance/price). But do we really need to use a V8 Commodore to batter Aurion into submission? Also I assume most Commodore SS buyers wouldn't consider the much cheaper Aurion and likewise, doubt many buyers of the Aurion could afford the extra for the Commodore, even if they wanted one.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 12-20-2006 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Yeah, I know, Aurion is more a large mid-size car than a full size car
    I dont think that makes that much of a difference. Both the Falcon and Commodore would lose out on room due to being RWD from any size advantage they hold over the 380 and Aurion. The Orion Falcon will be smaller overall as well anyway, albeit with the same wheelbase as current.

Yes, an enthusiast magazine will place a high emphasis on dynamics. And usually on performance/engine as well.
    Commodore wins one category - with Falcon keeping it honest and the others a little behind.
    Aurion wins other category - with Falcon keeping it honest and others a little behind.
    Explains how the Falcon finished second - it combines both dynamics and performance, which is more than fair enough. In fact, I'm surprised it didn't win since that's more of an ideal combination to most enthusiasts than just handling or just performance.
    I have noticed that Wheels tunes its criteria in accord with the type of cars it is comparing. For instance, dynamics don't rate as the number 1 criteria when they compare small cars, which is why the Fiesta has never won a comparison.
    Interestingly dynamics is rated as an important criteria, perhaps the most important criteria, whenever the magazine compares the mid-size 4-cylinder cars (Mazda6, Camry, Accord Euro, etc) and full-size 6-cylinder cars (Falcon, etc) despite the fact these cars are not usually aimed at performance/sporting drivers. Exceptional dynamics is more a bonus than a necessity in family cars, and a few Korean products aside, its not like there's many complete dynamic dunces in either the 4-cyl or 6-cyl class.
    I think you'll find the Fiesta has actually won a comparison - against the Mazda2, Jazz and Barina IIRC, because it handled sweetly

I also agree, judging by the figures, that the Falcon is the more rounded option, but it's not only boring giving the win to the older car, the Commodore is, in their mind, a decent car which has the skills to work wonderfully. I highly doubt anyone who bought any of these cars would be disappointed with their choice in the long run.

When they're comparing the Light Sports models methinks handling/performance would be key indicators of the cars performance because otherwise it doesn't do what it says on the tin, and we all know how much wheels love "performance of Intended Function" criterias

still, the FWD layout has inheirant shortcomings that not even some fantastic chassis tuning can overcome - and any large vehicle with sporting pretences struggles with this particular layout. I can't think of a successful vehicle of this type that was FWD, actually
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Light sports/FWD? Lotus Elan perhaps. Old Ford Capri XR2 in its final Tickford spec wasn't half bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    I think you'll find the Fiesta has actually won a comparison - against the Mazda2, Jazz and Barina IIRC, because it handled sweetly
    I'd have to go back and check. I know the magazine's writers rate the Fiesta's handling very highly, but they normally view the Jazz as best in class. Remember how well the Jazz did in the 2002 Car of the Year, finishing third to Falcon and Mazda6?

No contest.
    The beauty about the SS is the low running costs compared to the Aurion, there always in the dealer getting the recalls attended to J/K . Has the wife caved in re the new SS
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    The beauty about the SS is the low running costs compared to the Aurion, there always in the dealer getting the recalls attended to J/K . Has the wife caved in re the new SS
    I haven’t pushed it as reality bites. It may be squeezing things financially. And you are right about the recalls. My mate reckons to wait for the series 2 anyway. By then I may be a bit better situated.

Agreed - no contest. Huge power difference/sporting potential difference for a start. But a V8 versus a V6? Doesn't seem quite right somehow, especially when the V6 is normally aspirated. Yeah, I know, Aurion is more a large mid-size car than a full size car - so it may seem a little unfair comparing with Commodore V6 at times (despite similarities in engine size/power/performance/price). But do we really need to use a V8 Commodore to batter Aurion into submission? Also I assume most Commodore SS buyers wouldn't consider the much cheaper Aurion and likewise, doubt many buyers of the Aurion could afford the extra for the Commodore, even if they wanted one.
    I don’t know why anything need be battered into submission. I can’t really see why the last vestige of handling and performance need be the clincher in buying either base model. Testing base model family cars of this ilk is fine but having to come up with a definitive “this is better than that” seems pointless. Anyone who purchases a new Holden Ford, Toyota or even Mitsubishi will have a car that is more than adequate for their needs. It is far more likely these cars will be bought out of financial and aesthetic decisions as well as brand loyalty. I have had a Camry before. A great car as far as economy, reliability and pragmatism goes. Pragmatic people who don’t want rear wheel drive or the addition perceived size of the Commodore or Falcon will go for them. My VY SV8 cost more to run, did a clutch and was not as smooth but it was obviously far more enjoyable to drive and own.

I haven’t pushed it as reality bites. It may be squeezing things financially. And you are right about the recalls. My mate reckons to wait for the series 2 anyway. By then I may be a bit better situated.
    I've heard the theory with both Falcons and Commodores that waiting for the Series 2 version is preferable to avoid the early quality problems. If this theory holds any truth (depends how much you listen to the knockers of Aust built cars as low quality), then probably better to wait for series 2.

I don’t know why anything need be battered into submission.
    Sorry, compared would've been a better word than battered, though in the unlikely event of a direct comparison between the current Aurion "sporty" model and the SS-V, that would probably be the result.
    The forthcoming TRD version of the Aurion "may" be more comparable, but its more likely that will have its own market niche or be compared to the 380 Ralliart than the SS-V.

I've heard the theory with both Falcons and Commodores that waiting for the Series 2 version is preferable to avoid the early quality problems. If this theory holds any truth (depends how much you listen to the knockers of Aust built cars as low quality), then probably better to wait for series 2.
    The thing is that while the recalls point to quality problems with the maker they are actually quality problems with components that neither Ford nor Holden have any influence on. In the end it is the same as the clutch pressure plate that failed for me. That clutch could have been in a Ford.

Thread Information