Thread: Dyson switches to Porsche RS Spyder; LMP2

Dyson switches to Porsche RS Spyder; LMP2

Quote Originally Posted by Dyson Racing
    Porsche and endurance sports car racing; Dyson Racing and Porsche: synonymous phrases. Dyson Racing and Porsche are back together: the Thetford/Norcold team will be running two LMP2 RS Spyders in the American Le Mans Series in 2007. The team ran Porsche 962s in IMSA GTP from 1985 through 1991, winning a dozen races with nineteen podium finishes and four consecutive Porsche Cups. They won the first race they ran with the Porsche at Lime Rock in May of 1985. In the two decades since, they have not relinquished their title as America’s premier sports car team.

“The 962 was an exquisite looking race car,” noted Rob Dyson. “And like the old air plane adage, if it looks right, it will fly right. It was a great car to drive and that is what Porsche does best, building ultimate customer race cars with their renowned engineering and support behind them. To combine that Porsche perfection with our successful tradition brings a whole new level of enthusiasm to our team for the upcoming season. This is a reuniting of old family members, building on our partnership of mutual respect and a shared winning history.”

Hartmut Kristen, head of Porsche Motorsport worldwide, was pleased that a team of Dyson’s caliber has decided to embrace the RS Spyder program. “When we announced our ALMS participation, it was our target to have the RS Spyder being raced by customer teams in 2007,” said Krisen. “We will continue our development work together with the Penske Motorsports team. The results of this work will be made available to our customer teams. The RS Spyders for Penske and Dyson are exactly the same 2007 models, and the engines we are providing to the teams are identical as well.”

“We will be competing next year with a proven package that has race data and advancement behind it,” Chris Dyson said. “Porsche won the ALMS championship last year and that is a strong selling point. Our team will be racing at the most competitive level in ALMS, where new teams, drivers and manufactures are going to be focusing their considerable resources. We will be able to showcase who we are as a team and concentrate on winning races and championships.”

Dyson Racing has sixteen team and driver championships and sixty-one wins since that first GTP win at Lime Rock twenty one years ago. Anchoring this new package and era for Dyson Racing will be the familiar #20 blue and white Thetford/Norcold entry driven by Chris Dyson and Guy Smith and #16 with Butch Leitzinger and Andy Wallace. The team will be testing their first car at the January 21 – 24 ALMS Winter Test at Sebring and racing both at the first race of the season, the Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring March 17.
    fixed
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 12-19-2006 at 04:15 PM.

New livery:

that means LMP1 is dead in ALMS....Now Audi has to fight the LMP2 cars on its own, which may stimulate their possible decision to withdraw from ALMS completely....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Crash.net
    American Le Mans Series CEO Scott Atherton has insisted that the future of the championship's premier class is not in doubt, despite Dyson Racing's shock switch to LMP2 with Porsche.

Speaking in the wake of Dyson's announcement on Monday, Atherton admitted that, while the tie-up was good for the series as a whole, it did not pose a threat to the viability of the LMP1 class, as he named several likely contenders for the bigger prototype category.

"This is a tremendous development for Dyson Racing, Porsche and the American Le Mans Series," he said of the deal that will see the New York State-based team run a brace of the RS Spyder LMP2 machines, "As everyone is aware, Porsche's customer programme in GT2 is second-to-none and, from the beginning, we received commitments from Porsche that its LMP2 programme would be a replica - a world-class manufacturer providing top-notch customer service with a very competitive race car. The groundwork was laid in 2006 and, with this announcement, we are seeing the leading edge of fulfilment in this programme.

"At the same time, we are aware of the potential effect this could have on our LMP1 class. While Audi has not finalised its plans for 2007, we fully expect the diesel-powered R10 TDIs to be actively competing in the American Le Mans Series. We are also proud and pleased to see the commitment of Michael Lewis and everyone at Autocon Motorsports for their two-car LMP1 effort for next season."

Although the list of likely runners remains slim at present, Atherton also produced two British-based operations that he claimed were considering greater ALMS involvement in 2007.

"There has been significant interest from Creation Autosportif following its tremendous showing at Road Atlanta and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, and the same can be said about Zytek and its potential participation next year," he concluded. "Needless to say, we believe the content and quality of our premier class will continue to be a focal point and featured element of the American Le Mans Series."
    fixed
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 12-19-2006 at 04:15 PM.

as I feared.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Zytek_Fan can you at least have the courtesy of quoted the source when you rip off other people's work?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Zytek_Fan can you at least have the courtesy of quoted the source when you rip off other people's work?
    Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Sorry...
    Well done. it is both an issue of courtesy and copyright infringement. The first might be overcome somehow, a problem with the latter could turn into something big.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Well done. it is both an issue of courtesy and copyright infringement. The first might be overcome somehow, a problem with the latter could turn into something big.
    I'll try not to forget to make all news stories that I post into a quote=
    I'd hate to get UCP in legal trouble for copyright infringement...

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    I'll try not to forget to make all news stories that I post into a quote=
    I'd hate to get UCP in legal trouble for copyright infringement...
    Thank you.

Thread Information