Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it OK to go online on Christmas Day?

Is it OK to go online on Christmas Day?

What are you doing reading this - haven't you got anything better to do, on this of all days? Do you, as the great poet said, know it's Christmastime at all?

I hate to leap to conclusions about anyone, but I say, from what I know of you, that you're an unsociable Scrooge, creeping away from the jolly throng singing carols around the tree, to check your e-mails, browse aimlessly, gorge on humbugs and skulk. You're probably not even wearing your paper crown.

Admittedly, you're not alone. Last year almost 1.3 million people found time out of their festivities to visit this website on Christmas Day. That's a fair few, but just a third of those who visit on a normal day. It seems there are plenty of people for whom family fun and a stodgy pudding have more attraction than the internet.

Of course there are all kinds of reasons why you might be reading this on Christmas Day, other than anti-social behaviour.

Perhaps your job is so important you have to come in to work today. Though if your job allows you to sit around reading this, what is so important about it? Go on, go home, where your delighted family will turn from the flickering fireside and offer you a roasted chestnut. No-one will mind.

More likely, you're an addict. You're an internet user. You mainline online, and simply can't make it through to Doctor Who without your daily fix.

I bet when you come home from a holiday the first thing you do is turn on not the kettle or even the light, but the computer, to catch up with your spam, to see whether the worldwide web has missed you, and just because that chime makes you feel normal again. Don't worry, you're amongst friends now.

Or perhaps you just wanted to touch base with the outside world, to check with the BBC whether anything important had happened. Which is legitimate, in theory. Except that you're reading this, and if you believe it's going to get useful and informative in the second half, you are only fooling yourself. Addict it is, and the sooner you admit it the sooner you will be able to tear yourself away and go and have a drink.

That said, I should not overlook the possibility that you are spending the nativity season alone, without friends or family, through no choice of your own. In which case, I apologise for my insensitivity, and belatedly acknowledge that Christmas must be a miserable time of the year for some people, and I've probably made it worse, and I feel very bad about that. There, now you've spoilt my Christmas too. Thanks.

Then again, global reader, you may live in a part of the world where Christmas simply doesn't happen. Last Christmas, 39% of readers of the BBC news website were from outside the UK, compared to 31% on a normal day. That's a pretty watertight excuse.

Another possibility is that a merry Yule is going on all around you, but you refuse to let it happen to you. You may, for example, be a non-Christian who can't see why the fact that Jesus was born on an unknown date should oblige you to cover a fake fir tree with tinsel, eat sprouts and watch The Vicar of Dibley in his name.

You may, for that matter, be a Christian who can't see why the fact that Jesus was born on an unknown date should oblige you to cover a fake fir tree with tinsel, eat sprouts and watch The Vicar of Dibley in his name.

And yet, after all that, perhaps the reason you're surfing today is simply that it's something to do. We like to think that Christmas should be a day unlike any other, but once you've opened your presents, eaten your dinner and played with your children's toys, what you've got left is pretty much a day like any other, except with better TV.

The image we carry around of friendly robins, wall-to-wall jollity and snow-covered windows through which Dickensian lantern-swinging urchins sing God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen rarely seems to materialise. And when reality fails us, there's always cyberspace. So here we are.

Ah well, merry Monday, and a happy new week.

Taken in whole from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6200383.stm

PS: Merry Christmas
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Dude, what are you doing posting this at 3 in the morning? Santa won't come now! Anyway got time between TV and Xbox (Can't do neither right now), well until my family comes..
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

you posted this at 8.39 pm for me. christmas stuff has been over for awhile.....
    just running in a few presents
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Useless stuff that still makes perfect sense And my reason is boredom and educational work !

Anyway, i'd like to take this opputunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas !!!

I'm an "unsociable Scrooge, creeping away from the jolly throng singing carols around the tree". At least I would have learnt something today.

just opened presents, and there is still a few more hourse before i must start cooking, so here i am.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I am looking for assistance. So I came here. When I am done here, I'll be going back upstairs to eat some lunch.

Anyway. Merry Christmas and/or whatever other holiday you might be celebrating today.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

I'm addicted to this website. Plus it's my home page and I need to find if the newspaper's being printed today.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Christmas shmistmas. UCP usually always gets a few minutes in my day.

Devils don't celebrate Christmas.....mauhahaha!!!
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Guys, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm addicted to the Internet. Help me help myself, before I spiral down a path I can't return from.

Merry Christmas anyway to all of you, it's almost over (here at least), so I hope everyone had/is having/will have a great day.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Only half an hour of Christmas left for this time zone...

it's pathetic to spend christmas in front of the computer imo. last four days i've spent like an hour on the internet
    12 cylinders or walk!

Well you're spending time on the internet as well...

Look who's talking.

Merry very late Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi
    it's pathetic to spend christmas in front of the computer imo. last four days i've spent like an hour on the internet
    Well what the hell else are we going to do...spend time with....family?!

Freakin loonies...

Thread Information