Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GM possible to buy Chrysler!

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I don't know, it does sound like D-C has been keeping the formerly Chrysler brands separated out, but I imagine if they're smart they'll go over each case by case and see which are profitable and how much money they can get for them :P

Right now if I had to guess, Jeep would stay under Chrysler. Who knows though, maybe D-C will even keep the Viper rights, I don't know how individual badging rights work :P
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Isn't Jeep part of Chrysler? So it should stay with Chrysler, unless something changes in the management or stuff like that.

Are they really in a position to do that? They would at least have to return to profitability before they could think about buying such a huge company like Chrysler. I read the Mercedes was thinking of selling or separating from Chrysler yesterday and I am assuming this is one of the first offers.

why would you want to buy chrysler? especially if it comes with jeep...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

This is plain dumb. I do not have patience to explain in words why GM buying Chrysler is dumb, but it is - if not in the busisness, in the general sense of the word dumb.

Jeep is the onlyChrysler valuable brand, just like it happened with Land Rover when Rover was sold. It's a name Daimler would want to keep. The rest, I think they should get rid of.
    orangeferrari.blog.com

Won't work. GM and Daimler-Chrysler are too big of competitors.

[off topic] I can't wait to get Peugeots and possibly Renaults in the US [off topic]

This won't happen, the laws preventing monopolies will prevent the buyout.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    This won't happen, the laws preventing monopolies will prevent the buyout.
    Hardly a monopoly...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The two companies in Daimler-Chrysler are Daimler-Benz (basically Mercedes-Benz) and Chrysler. This year Chrysler's loses greatly reduced Daimler-Chrysler's overall profits. As a result of constant underperfoming and underachieving Mercedes-Benz would be very happy to get rid of Chrysler in order to win more money, and news articles already hint at that, like this one.

Concerning Chrysler's products I think they are pretty awful, with a couple of excpetions, the 300C/Charger and the Viper, which anyway aren't very suited to Europe. The other European products, so far the Caliber and the Avenger/Sebring, seem to be pretty awful and not suited at all to Europe, and sell accordingly. Especially the Caliber which is just way too big for C-segment hatchback. Furthermore recent Jeep products seem to be despised even by americans...
    Ironically, many seem to forget that in '05 Chrysler helped keep Daimler-Chrysler afloat when Mercedes' sales were flagging. Mercedes was loosing market share to brands like Lexus, and there were various quality issues. Chrysler's sales were strong (They had about 5% growth) with the introduction of new cars such as the 300 and Magnum. That was only a year ago.

What hurt Chrysler the most during '06 was the dramatic increase in gasoline in the states last year. Consumers stopped buying light trucks and SUVs in favor of smaller, more fuel efficient cars from Toyota and Honda. In fact, that is part of D-C's recovery plan. To focus on smaller fuel efficient vehicles instead of trucks and SUVs.

I believe it would be a shame in Daimler spun off Chrysler. No one at Chrysler was asking for Daimler to be sold off when they were struggling, and thye had also underperformed for several quarters. Also, the two brands are finally beginning to share technology (i.e. Mercedes diesel engines). I just believe it would be a knee jerk reaction to appease the European financial community.
    Last edited by evile; 02-16-2007 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Hardly a monopoly...
    a monopoly on bad cars, he means.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Maybe GM figures if they buy Chrysler; they'd atleast be best at what they do: being the biggest. And then if the biggest car company in the US needed help, surely the gov't would bail them out.

If a merger or acquisition like this lead to a streamlined new GM, with fewer platforms, it could be a success. Limit the drivetrain development to a centralized engineering department and each of the sub-groups (Chrysler, Buick, Dodge, Cadillac, etc) are only responsible for packaging. Just as a SL55 and G55 couldn't be more different, they share an engine...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Wouldn't this mean an end to the sharing of technology between Mercedes and Chrysler?
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Why would GM want to add another money losing brand to it's collection? Sounds like a fast track to chapter 11.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Maybe they should by Chrysler, and then sell off the assets, get rid of a few of the stupid GM brands and only have Chev, Saturn and Cadillac. And then sell some cars.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information