Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The return of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban?

The return of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban?

Since it might be returning soon, I was wondering what other members of this forum think of it.

I don't really think it needs to be reinstated. I am all for stricter regulation of who owns guns, in the wrong hands they are outstandingly dangerous peices of machinery, but to say that responaible adults are not allowed to purchase guns because they are automatic and/or have a flash hider is ludicrous.

I am not old enough to own certain types of weapon, but my father and I have been looking into spitting (15:85) the cost of a fully automatic shotgun. If this bill is reintated in it's proposed form will prevent my father, me, or anyone else in the US from buying anything of that sort.

Are there any other members of this website who enjoy sport shooting or hunting(I avoid the latter)?
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    Are there any other members of this website who enjoy sport shooting or hunting(I avoid the latter)?
    I usually just go around killing other people.

Oh yeah, right.. I don't know, I've been sport shooting once or twice and it's fun, but it's not really my thing. Guns aren't all that popular where I live (for recreational purposes at least).

We've had very strict gun laws in Australia for a while now(since a very bad massacre by a bloke with assault rifles,) but true sporting shooters and hunters wouldn't have been affected as higher level guns were still available, there's just higher level liceneces for them now and you have to shoot to keep them.

But do you really need a full automatic rifle or shotgun to go hunting or sport shooting? Wouldn't the skill in being needing less shots to hit something?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

but to say that responaible adults are not allowed to purchase guns because they are automatic is ludicrous.
    you can't be serious...i like using guns and all, but i've never ever had to think to myself "gee, i really could have used a fully automatic assault rifle just now"
    yep, since i was 12
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    But do you really need a full automatic rifle or shotgun to go hunting or sport shooting? Wouldn't the skill in being needing less shots to hit something?
    No, I don't need it. I want it. I've shot an M4 carbine, m14, and an AK-47 on full auto and it's a blast. It makes me grin. I typically stick to semi auto and am quite content. It's just nice to have options.

It would be hard to get an auto shotgun, but it is legal right now. I've always wanted to shoot one.
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 02-23-2007 at 04:42 PM.

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

No, I don't need it. I want it. I've shot an M4 carbine, m14, and an AK-47 on full auto and it's a blast. It makes me grin. I typically stick to semi auto and am quite content. It's just nice to have options
    i want a ferrari. i want 35 kg of semtex to blow stuff up in the forestry out back. that doesn't mean i should get it.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Well unfortunately in life you can't always have what you want. I don't need a 1000cc motorbike, but I want one. Why? Because it's absoltuely brilliant fun. But the law (and bank) says no.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i want 35 kg of semtex to blow stuff up.
    I think I love you.

(In a nonsexual way)

I'll probably just buy a semi-auto gas operated Saiga-12. It's cheaper and it's much less hassle.
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 02-23-2007 at 06:25 PM.

I do not entirely agree with this type of law, as being the forefront law against certain weapons. I am more for a ban on weapons that, stock/standard, have a muzzle velocity and/or stopping-power rating that is too high. I mean....a hunting rifle is one thing - it is an accurate, decently powerful rifle. But it starts becoming a public-safety issue when there are rifles out there, that simply because they are semi-automatic, are 100% legal, yet are practically designed for putting holes in body armor. I know body armor cannot stop the vast majority of bottle necked bullets, but does the public need guns that are more or less created for armor peircing applications?

EDIT: Just in case:
    Pistols put out bullets with a muzzle velocity ranging from 150-450m/s with 70-1,300Joules, the Desert Eagle from IMI puts a bullet out at approximately 1,000m/s at ~1,900Joules when using the .50AE barrel/bullet combination.
    Rifles tend to put out bullets ranging at speeds from 650-800m/s and 1,200-4,000Joules.
    Specific bullet specs:
    5.56mm NATO round, most common bottle-necked bullet in the world - 1,000m/s, at ~1750J
    7.62mm Russian round for the AK47 - 750+m/s at ~3,000-4,500

High end civilian grade body armor, from what I have seen as of yet (which could be wrong as this varies faster than do the bullets) cannot stop even the higher end pistols. .45 ACP's are actually becoming infamous as they can penetrate police-grade armor. If a bullet can rip through body armor, it can most definitely obliterate a deer.
    Last edited by CdocZ; 02-23-2007 at 07:02 PM.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    The majority of guns used in crimes are purchased (somewhat legally) over the counter by a friend of the criminal. Only a small percentage are stolen.

Just some info to aid in opinionmaking.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    The majority of guns used in crimes are purchased (somewhat legally) over the counter by a friend of the criminal. Only a small percentage are stolen.

Which is why they should be hard to come by, but not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    I mean....a hunting rifle is one thing - it is an accurate, decently powerful rifle.
    not exactly- a lot of civilian rifles can penetrate body armour, because of the different animals that they target, for example a 7.62x51mm rifle round would penetrate most forms of body armour but would not be considered by a civilian who's going out ot cull water buffalo, for example. i mean there's not a lot that will stop a .458 magnum, but that only comes in bolt action/single shot/side by side rifles, not fully automatics lmao (can you say "shattered shoulder")

I think I love you.

(In a nonsexual way)

I'll probably just buy a semi-auto gas operated Saiga-12. It's cheaper and it's much less hassle.
    the cost of ammo for an automatic shotgun or rifle would bankrupt you every time you'd use the damn thing
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post

not here, police are forever stumbling upon caches of illegal weapons that have been smuggled in, and judging by their incompetency imagine what they're not finding
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 02-27-2007 at 02:02 AM.

the cost of ammo for an automatic shotgun or rifle would bankrupt you every time you'd use the damn thing
    My thoughts exactly; considering that the only people I know who can actually afford to opperate automatics are making a lot more than the 8.5/hour I make, I'll have to hold off]

not here, police are forever stumbling upon caches of illegal weapons that have been smuggled in, and judging by their incompetency imagine what they're not finding
    Incompetence runs rampid there too?

Incompetence is a worldwide phenomenon
    – Hunter Thompson

common to goverments and police forces especially, it seems.

Thread Information