Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The return of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    Harsh call. Most of these I know of are bikie related. And the Police in S.A. have an ongoing operation targeting bikie gangs for anything illegal.
    and drug related.... clearly not exactly law abiding citizens
    and the stuff they find a lot of it wasn't legal before the buyback!
    Guns may not be easy to handle. That to me is as good a reason not to allow everyone to have one.
    performance cars are not easy to drive. they have licenses for cars, and stricter ones for firearms. it's stricter again for handguns because their size requires a lot more respect.
    but, i guess most of us would care if performance cars were banned, seeing as that affects you directly, but not if guns were banned. humans are hypocritical that way. i am reminded of the proposed SUV bans
    The Swiss example is often bandied around ignorantly by gun lovers as a great example. (I am not putting you in this category by the way).
    But a little reading on the matter exposes some points that certain “Trans Atlantic” to quote Basil Fawlty people may not find quite so palatable. Compulsory military service for example. In any case there is a lot more going on in Switzerland that just everyone owning guns.
    do israel and maylasia's citizens keep their weapons at home? (they're compulsory military service too).
    it makes sense from a logistical perspective, i just don't remember the conditions of their military service (it may only be for two years?)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    performance cars are not easy to drive. they have licenses for cars, and stricter ones for firearms. it's stricter again for handguns because their size requires a lot more respect.
    but, i guess most of us would care if performance cars were banned, seeing as that affects you directly, but not if guns were banned. humans are hypocritical that way. i am reminded of the proposed SUV bans
    Au contraire, I cannot afford high performance cars either. In fact I don’t think I could honestly make a case as to why they should not be banned for general use really. I may not like it but there is no justifiable reason for them. Then again if we are talking supercars there are a lot less of them around than guns and you need to be an extremely wealthy dickhead to do damage with one of those.

do israel and maylasia's citizens keep their weapons at home? (they're compulsory military service too).
    it makes sense from a logistical perspective, i just don't remember the conditions of their military service (it may only be for two years?)
    The Swiss law is unique. And its uniqueness seems to me to be more of an anomaly than an example of what the rest of the world should follow. The Swiss actually have the right to buy their or a military weapon upon leaving the military for use in civil defence as far as I understand. But by then these people have served in the military and had associated training which I assume would aid them in paramilitary operations and are part of an institutionalised model which can be coordinated in an organised way.
    I don’t know anything about Israel’s or Malaysia’s situation though.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Au contraire, I cannot afford high performance cars either. In fact I don’t think I could honestly make a case as to why they should not be banned for general use really. I may not like it but there is no justifiable reason for them.
    fortunately there are more car enthusiasts than greenies
    conservationists may not like cars, but they seem to like shooters a fair bit recently after they figured out that 1080 poisoning may not be ideal in certain areas..
    Then again if we are talking supercars there are a lot less of them around than guns and you need to be an extremely wealthy dickhead to do damage with one of those.
    i dunno... i reckon your average p plater could do a fair bit of damage in mum's camry etc etc and like handguns, it's reccomended you do additional training before handling a supercar (well, i guess it's compulsory for handguns lol).
    i.e. Brisbane Porsche Centre iirc will only sell you a GT2 at queensland raceway, once you've spent a day in it with an instructor, unless you're already known to them. this is because the first 996 GT2 that they had delivered was crashed before it left the street

I don’t know anything about Israel’s or Malaysia’s situation though.
    it's not so much israel that interests me, since given their history i guess the odds are that a lot of their civilian reserve has seen some sort of action, but malaysia has been in a state of peace, so i'm curious as to what effects the military service has etc
    at last count the ADF has 70,000 steyrs in reserve in case of emergency/civilian recruitment or something
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Just like other issues such as this, I don't care what other people do. I don't smoke weed, but I have no problem with them legalizing drugs for other people. I will never have the opportunity to choose between aborting a child or not, but abortion for other people is none of my business. And just like gun control...I will never own a gun or allow a gun in my home. But, I don't care what other people have. It's none of my business.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Being Dutch and haven't served in the army I must admit that I haven't touched one weapon or seen one being fired irl.
    So call me a weapon newbie, but what is the difference between a weapon or a assault weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123 View Post
    Guns have been banned in my country, and the death rate of the country by guns which is about half the population and area of carlifonia is almost twice,

not counting death by swords, knives and plain old neck cracking.
    i say that better have a self defence option than live in fear that some pyscho bloke might use a gun for the wrong reason.

P.s.
    By the way what kind of ga(x+1) pansy would suggest something like that, even in america at least. In england which has the strictest gun control, gun crime has actually increased
    Originally Posted by Benedict D. LaRosa, November 2002
    What about the experience of other countries? In 1997, just 12 months after a new gun law went into effect in Australia, homicides jumped 3.2 percent, armed robberies 44 percent, and assaults 8.6 percent. In the state of Victoria, homicides went up 300 percent. Before the law was passed, statistics showed a steady decrease in armed robberies with firearms. In 1998, in the state of South Australia, robbery with a firearm increased nearly 60 percent. In 1999, the assault rate in New South Wales rose almost 20 percent.
    ^^ This Benedict D. LaRosa character is not a credible source and is obviously using bent figures to disort factual reality for his own agenda. I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of those NRA loons. The deceiving picture he tries to paint in this above quote is the polar opposite of what Australia experienced re gun control and especially the attempt to remove automatic 'assault rifles' from our community

Gun deaths in rapid decline since buyback
    December 14, 2006

The new report, titled Australia's 1996 Gun Law Reforms: Faster Falls in Firearm Deaths, Firearm Suicides and a Decade without Mass Shootings, finds that in the 18 years before the gun buyback there were an average of 492 firearm suicides a year.

After the introduction of the buyback scheme, that figure dropped to 247 in the seven years for which reliable figures are available.

The report also found the rate of gun homicides fell from an annual average of 93 in the 18 years before 1996 to an annual average of 56.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...685752421.html

I am surprised that this hasn't turned into mindless bickering. Quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    Being Dutch and haven't served in the army I must admit that I haven't touched one weapon or seen one being fired irl.
    So call me a weapon newbie, but what is the difference between a weapon or a assault weapon.
    It means different things to different people. Here, in America, it is officiall defined as:

Rifles

Specifically, a rifle is considered an "assault weapon" if it can accept a detachable magazine, and possesses two or more of the following features:

Folding or telescopic stock
    Pistol grip protruding conspicuously beneath the stock
    Bayonet mount
    Flash suppressor or threaded barrel
    Grenade launcher

Pistols

For a pistol to be considered a “SAW,” among other things, it must have the ability to accept a detachable magazine, plus two of the following features:

Magazine that attaches outside of the pistol grip
    Threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer*
    Shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned
    Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded
    Semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm

Or, at least that was how it was defined under the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994-2004.

It has nothing to do with lethality. I don't know the the statistics for other countries, nor do I care to look for them-they are of no concern to me, but, here, so-called assault weapons are very rarely used in crime. They were rarely used before the ban, and rarely used now.

They are also no more dangerous than other guns, they are, typically, just more intimidating, more reliable and more comfortable to use.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Multiple-shot weapons pose a much greater and dangerous threat to the community than single-shot weapons

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Multiple-shot weapons pose a much greater and dangerous threat to the community than single-shot weapons
    How so? They are no more deadly; bullets are bullets. A well placed shot with a semi-auto rifle can be much more effective than 5 sprayed out of an automatic. The only case that they are more threatening is in a full on fire fight, but how often does that occur with legal, registered weapons?
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 02-27-2007 at 03:22 PM.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    Are there any other members of this website who enjoy sport shooting or hunting(I avoid the latter)?
    I, like you, enjoy shooting (though not hunting), and am not a huge fan of restricting a responsible person's right to buy what they want. I feel no need myself for an assault-type weapon, but it's nice to have the option to be able to purchase them if I so choose.

Besides which, if a criminal really wants to get his hands on a gun, some silly law isn't going to stop them - not only do they blatantly break the law, but when there's a will there's a way.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

i dunno... i reckon your average p plater could do a fair bit of damage in mum's camry etc etc
    Camry = supercar ?

it's not so much israel that interests me, since given their history i guess the odds are that a lot of their civilian reserve has seen some sort of action, but malaysia has been in a state of peace, so i'm curious as to what effects the military service has etc
    at last count the ADF has 70,000 steyrs in reserve in case of emergency/civilian recruitment or something
    Didn’t Malaysia call us the white trash of Asia at one stage?

Nice weapon in you avatar. Is that out of the new Terminator movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just like other issues such as this, I don't care what other people do. I don't smoke weed, but I have no problem with them legalizing drugs for other people. I will never have the opportunity to choose between aborting a child or not, but abortion for other people is none of my business. And just like gun control...I will never own a gun or allow a gun in my home. But, I don't care what other people have. It's none of my business.
    Philosophically I agree. The problem is you can’t be sure just what type of other people own them.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    ^^ This Benedict D. LaRosa character is not a credible source and is obviously using bent figures to disort factual reality for his own agenda. I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of those NRA loons. The deceiving picture he tries to paint in this above quote is the polar opposite of what Australia experienced re gun control and especially the attempt to remove automatic 'assault rifles' from our community

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...685752421.html
    Yes you often hear pro gunners make that comment about how Australia’s gun deaths supposedly rose. I think it can be linked back to a popular piece of pro gun disinformation in the U.S. that was put forward to marginalise the proposal of stricter gun controls. Those NRA nuts will stop at nothing to keep their toys!

Camry = supercar ?
    i think he means someone is capable of smashing a camry at 160 and killing all onboard as they would if they were in a super d00per car.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    i think he means someone is capable of smashing a camry at 160 and killing all onboard as they would if they were in a super d00per car.
    Still should'nt have said Camry.

Thread Information