Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhd Vs Lhd

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Sorry, i don't understand on the weight distribution difference! (Although i secretly enjoy listening to the fact that RHD had the upper hand) WHY ? ? !?
    Because most tracks in the world has more right turns than left..
    If a driver is located on the right side of the car, you will have more weight on the right side of the car.
    Someone can probably give this a more scientific explanation, as I have a hard time to write what I'm thinking here..

I say a steering-wheel should be in the middle (a la Mac F1).

Other than that, what does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    I say a steering-wheel should be in the middle (a la Mac F1).

Other than that, what does it matter?
    Fanboy

I'll tell you where it matters, Koop- if you're British and you go over to France/Spain/Germany, you're up shit creek without a paddle, to be frank. I wish we all had the same- would make importing cars a lot easier. I'm left-handed, and manage perfectly fine with an RHD car. I managed perfectly fine with LHD as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    I managed perfectly fine with LHD as well.
    And I can confirm that.

You had an alarming tendency to go left though...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And I can confirm that.

You had an alarming tendency to go left though...
    Not just the Mini, my boy!

And yeah... what do you expect?! I learned to drive in Britain

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I'm left-handed, and I prefer driving with my left hand, and slapping my hoes with my right. FACE, BITCH!

I don't know where that came from. Got possessed by the spirit of rick james for a second there.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

I'm right handed but I drive with my left hand most of the time, even though my car is an automatic. I've never driven a RHD car so there is nothing to compare.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

I don't think I really give a toss either way, I just wish we didn't have indicators and gearsticks on the same side. Is that the same in other countries? I know older RHD japanese cars have their indicators on the right, meaning you can change gear and indicate at the same time, should the need arise. Where are the indicators on a LHD car normally?

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini View Post
    Where are the indicators on a LHD car normally?
    In the Mini they are on the left.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini View Post
    I don't think I really give a toss either way, I just wish we didn't have indicators and gearsticks on the same side. Is that the same in other countries? I know older RHD japanese cars have their indicators on the right, meaning you can change gear and indicate at the same time, should the need arise. Where are the indicators on a LHD car normally?
    I think, to imagine an LHD car, you can just pick up the entire steering assembly and move it to the left side (if we're in an RHD car... ).

Albert's Mini had the indicators on the left, allowing you to change gear at the same time. I personally haven't really struggled with the Peugeot, but you're right about the older Japanese cars having the indicator on the right. My friend's 1993 Civic had that feature, I thought it was weird!

EDIT: Beat me to it, Al

Okay. That kinda of proves a theory that I have. I suspect that it is preferable to have the gearstick and indicators on opposing sides, for obvious reasons. The japanese, who make cars for their domestic market, which is RHD, used indicators on the right in RHD cars for this reason. But European cars being as they are, we were subject to German/French/whatever cars that were originally LHD and therefore just had the LHD steering wheel and column moved over to the right, without reversing the sides of the controls, therefore any European cars converted to RHD end up with the indicators on the left. I guess Japan just began to follow suit because they were in the minority. I think it's a pretty sound theory.

Maybe if I could statistically prove that having the indicators on the right would result in a reduction in accidents, European and American manufacturers would put the indicator on the right side for us Brits. That would be awesome. Vive la revolution!

All european cars in my country had the indicators ON THE LEFT ! (Except that STUPID PROTON IMPIAN which decides their targeted market is european makes (a la a4/3/c) --- had their indicators purposely placed at the LEFT, thinking it's some sort of innovation rather than cost efficiency in production.. lol )

And why most race tracks had more right turns than left ??!?!? coz most of them are clockwise ? hehe
    Last edited by Ingolstadt; 03-06-2007 at 10:21 AM.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

wy would you be wanting to indicate AND change gear at the same time ?
    That suggets a lack of anticipation and preparation for the road ahead

They were on the "outside" of cars as they were a replacement for hand signals. SO RHD cars the driver stuick his/her right hand out the window. LHD out the left. So first designs used the same limb to change the indicators.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    wy would you be wanting to indicate AND change gear at the same time ?
    That suggets a lack of anticipation and preparation for the road ahead
    You know what? I knew someone would say that. And you know what else? I knew it would be you!!! I made an attempt to cover my arse with "should the need arise" meaning that obviously I'd never have the need to. It's just nice to have the choice.

I don't know. I like my cars either way, left or right. However, I've never driven, so I can't comment on that either.

America- Left

Thread Information