Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Real life story...

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    What happens to people with Renaults, they're standing next to their cars, just finished filling it up, someone hops in, as the car knows the card is near, it starts when the button is pressed...

Although... I guess the theif is screwed when he's stopped the car and realising it's got no key...
    The story is true, until the part when the thief should drive away. Sure, you can hop in and start it but as soon as you start driving and the card is more than 5 meters away, the engine immediately stops. (and believe me this is true, because we happen to have such a car)

And on a side note: as the car detects that the card is either in front of the car or behind the car, it will also refuse to start.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Oh, jolly good. I was a little skeptical about wanted a car with the key to start. Clever things these, I guess
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo View Post
    The story is true, until the part when the thief should drive away. Sure, you can hop in and start it but as soon as you start driving and the card is more than 5 meters away, the engine immediately stops. (and believe me this is true, because we happen to have such a car)

And on a side note: as the car detects that the card is either in front of the car or behind the car, it will also refuse to start.
    Anyone is invited to answer, but Jorismo seeing as you have a keyless-start car do you mind a couple of naive questions?

Do cars such as this also feature an anti-theft steering lock? If so, does this lock automatically engage and disengage if the car detects itself to be either side of 5 metres from its card?

If so it sounds a tad dicey to me that a steering lock could activate itself, automatically and autonamously, without any driver interaction, and accomplishes this control disablement purely through so-called 'failsafe' electronic means. That sounds nutty, verging on diabolical quite frankly, so I must be missing a piece of the puzzle ..

On a less serious note, how does keyless facilitate operators regards the traditional Accessory position, eg being able to use the radio etc without having the ignition on or fuel pump still pumping?

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Anyone is invited to answer, but Jorismo seeing as you have a keyless-start car do you mind a couple of naive questions?

Do cars such as this also feature an anti-theft steering lock? If so, does this lock automatically engage and disengage if the car detects itself to be either side of 5 metres from its card?
    The car does have a steering-lock. The lock will immediately lock after the engine is shut off, and will unlock as soon as the engine is started. So even if you just sit in the car, with the card in your pocket but the engine turned off, the steering wheel will be locked.

On a less serious note, how does keyless facilitate operators regards the traditional Accessory position, eg being able to use the radio etc without having the ignition on or fuel pump still pumping?
    This is going to be a complicated answer, but here I go

In order to start the car, the card has to be within 5 meters. You put your foot on either the clutch or the throttle and push a button. If you keep your feet of the pedals and you then push the button, the ignition will be turned on so you can use things like the A/C and the windscreen wipers. The radio can be started at any time, but I think that just can be done with Renault radio's.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Renault have got it sussed! I think most cars radios can be switched on whenever.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Renault have got it sussed! I think most cars radios can be switched on whenever.
    Mini's can be switched on with the engine off, but can Audi's too?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo View Post
    The car does have a steering-lock. The lock will immediately lock after the engine is shut off, and will unlock as soon as the engine is started. So even if you just sit in the car, with the card in your pocket but the engine turned off, the steering wheel will be locked.

This is going to be a complicated answer, but here I go

In order to start the car, the card has to be within 5 meters. You put your foot on either the clutch or the throttle and push a button. If you keep your feet of the pedals and you then push the button, the ignition will be turned on so you can use things like the A/C and the windscreen wipers. The radio can be started at any time, but I think that just can be done with Renault radio's.
    Thanks for your couteous info Jo

What concerns me is there is no direct mechanical interface between driver and the steering lock - the car decides for itself when to lock the steering, and does so by itself too!

Nothing is foolproof, whether electrical or mechanical. For example Leyland P76 cars (like one I own) have the old style of key-mechanical steering lock and were notorious for the lock mechanism suddenly failing and applying itself, so no steering! This defect caused many accidents, and several highway fatalities. The lock was so strong that even Tarzan wrenching the steering wheel couldn't bust it to free the steering

Electronic failures are not unknown and can occur randomly. To illustrate my concerns, imagine what extra risks this Range Rover driver might have faced, had his car had an electronic steering lock (like Renault) and its electrical failures had also triggered the steering lock to apply itself @ 90km/h

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=9780&vf=12

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
    A friend of mine works at a gas station...justice.
    That man was a fool for doing what he did. Justice? No. Dumb. Ass.

He could have been killed.

Don't jazz-up the nerds on this forum to fight for their belongings. If someone is stealing your things, call the police and let them handle it. Lord knows that if I become a careless thief and I am confronted by one of you geeks at the mall, I'll whip the pants off of you.

Quote Originally Posted by -What-
    I'll whip the pants off of you
    I think you just proved LandQuail's theory that you are gay......
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Nobody who has a Dragon Ball Z character in their avatar could be gay!

They'd be too young to be 100% sure of their sexuality yet.

.....says the man with the rainbow bow tie.

i've already said too much......
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information