Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I run a business and I am no thief.
    I like that. Too many people download stuff for free. I don't like doing it but have sometimes in past...

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    I see it this way:

1) You can pay for software
    2) You can illegally download or copy software
    3) You can download or copy OSS software as much as you like, change it should you feel the need to, add to it, shake it, break it, fix it (or download/ copy a newer version) etc.

I'll take what's behind door no. 3.
    Ah right just as you can steal a car and scratch off the numbers and repaint it. How very noble of you.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Do you pay for all your software?
    Most of it. After you paid a fair amount on programmes though, you get inventive (sharing one Matlab license with 20 people for example).

In this case a free Beta is available on www.adobe.com. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Most of it. After you paid a fair amount on programmes though, you get inventive (sharing one Matlab license with 20 people for example).

In this case a free Beta is available on www.adobe.com. Try it.
    Please don't tell me what to do. I need to WORK with this software, so I don't want to risk my system's integrety with beta software.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

You do realise that this will only make future editions of the software even more expensive?

(Ted Joans)

Ah right just as you can steal a car and scratch off the numbers and repaint it. How very noble of you.

Er, no actually. How can it be stealing if the car is given away?

OSS: You get a free car, you get the blue-prints, you're free to change it in any way you please, if you change it you can rebrand it as something else or just keep the naming as long as you don't charge money for it, you can give the car to anyone else you want (if burning a car was possible as in burning a CD) without facing repercussions from the original car's designer and so on and so forth.

It's not noble, it's freedom...

Are you William Wallace

Er, no actually. How can it be stealing if the car is given away?

OSS: You get a free car, you get the blue-prints, you're free to change it in any way you please, if you change it you can rebrand it as something else or just keep the naming as long as you don't charge money for it, you can give the car to anyone else you want (if burning a car was possible as in burning a CD) without facing repercussions from the original car's designer and so on and so forth.

Ok fair enough. I am not of the internet generation and most certainly not of the abbreviations.

(Ted Joans)

Ok fair enough. I am not of the internet generation and most certainly not of the abbreviations.

No problem. OSS simply stands for Open Source Software. Only discovered it 3 years or so ago myself, been addicted ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost
    Are you William Wallace ?
    Are you asking if I am taller than 10 ft. and fart fire? If so, then yes.
    Last edited by Kooper; 03-22-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Please don't tell me what to do.
    Did I ? I only made a suggestion mate.. sigh...

I need to WORK with this software, so I don't want to risk my system's integrety with beta software.
    Good point ! However if humans never took a risk they would still be stuck in the stone-age

You do realise that this will only make future editions of the software even more expensive?
    Perhaps. But otherwise I would not be able to fully take part in my education. IF i had gotten all programmes from retailers I would have spent close to 800€. 800 euro's equals about 150 hours of work for me !.. I can barely stay out of the red numbers, so it is a lot of money for me.

Perhaps you are in a priviledged position that you can afford it, but I aint. I would simply not be able to buy Photoshop or any other professional software without getting a loan.

PS:
    You'd be surprised about how much I use Photoshop for my education !

Perhaps you are in a priviledged position that you can afford it, but I aint. I would simply not be able to buy Photoshop or any other professional software without getting a loan.
    the privileged position also entails the risk that software control by official authorities should not reveal illegally copied software....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    the privileged position also entails the risk that software control by official authorities should not reveal illegally copied software....
    Did you ever hear about a check ? I didn't. It is the developers/ artists the ir own fault basically. If it would be cheaper, it wouldn't be downloaded this much..

Did you ever hear about a check ? I didn't. It is the developers/ artists the ir own fault basically. If it would be cheaper, it wouldn't be downloaded this much..
    you don't want to take a risk when you are registered with the Chamber of Commerce as a Company....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    you don't want to take a risk when you are registered with the Chamber of Commerce as a Company....
    I am not really informed about that stuff.. Do they do checks ? Are the fines high ?

Please inform me a bit

I am not really informed about that stuff.. Do they do checks ? Are the fines high ?

Please inform me a bit
    the fines are high and your stuff gets confiscated, not a risk W likes to take...

Thread Information