Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New aston martin called DBX

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Front on, the CGT looks like a 911 that got left out in the sun.
    Well this way we could say that even an Alpine A-110 looks like a squashed 911...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Okay, Porsches styling can be found from one of the very first cars ferdinand made. The 356

Or possibly one of the first prototypes he started to design for vw, either way it doesn't matter, because he carried the body design on. And it shows; through out the design range with the exception of the front engined car's of the 80's. That's why you see little change in many late model 911's, the company tries to stay true to it's roots. It is a styling that is carried through the porsche range throughout the years, hence why the GT *gasp* looks like a melted 911 to some people.

EDIT: and to tie this in witht he thread, aston martin does this to some degree as well. Guess what? So does alfa romeo with their grill. Most companies with a styling heritage will use this.
    Last edited by speednine; 03-26-2007 at 06:20 PM.

Beyond Rapide
    Is NPX Aston’s mid-engined answer?

By JULIAN RENDELL

AutoWeek | Published 04/24/07, 3:05 pm et

Is Aston Martin poised to take on Ferrari with its first mid-engined supercar? That’s the tantalizing prospect made possible by Ford’s sale of the British sports-car maker to a consortium led by Prodrive’s David Richards, backed by Kuwaiti investors and featuring Texan investment banker John Sinders.

Richards, who will chair the new company, said at the press conference announcing the Aston purchase: “Aston has to look at some of the things that are being done by our competitors, like the Audi R8 and the Japanese brands. We believe we can expand quite considerably.”

Richards’ comment could be taken as a sign that he wants to build the Prodrive P2, a 2006 two-seat supercar concept with a Subaru WRX STI powertrain that served as a showcase for the British company’s engineering prowess.

A more likely interpretation, sources suggest, is that Aston will add a range-topping, mid-engined supercar, an obvious gap in the company’s lineup, which is focused on four front-engined, rear-drive models built on the same aluminum chassis.

Officially, Aston says a mid-engined car isn’t part of its five-year plan that runs from 2005 to 2010: “The investors have bought a profitable company with an agreed plan to the end of the decade, and there’s nothing mid-engined in that.”

But Aston CEO Ulrich Bez hinted at an exciting new Aston flagship at the purchase announcement, showing a new product lineup with a model codenamed NPX at its pinnacle. “It’s a sign of the confidence of the company that we could put a model above the Rapide,” said Bez.

Speaking privately, executives also acknowledge that new thinking will be needed post-2010. “There is definitely room above Rapide for a supercar like NPX, but details, like where the engine is, are still a subject to be discussed.”

The Rapide is the four-door, long-wheelbase variant of the DB9 that Aston’s new owners already have promised will be put into production by 2010. Bez estimates Rapide sales at “between 1000 and 2000” annually, at a price near $400,000.

An NPX supercar probably would wear a price tag around $500,000, making it comparable to the Mercedes-Benz SLR and a value compared with the $1.2 million Bugatti Veyron.

Seasoned Aston observers will see some irony in Richards’ comment, because the V8 Vantage was originally planned as a mid-engined Ferrari 360 beater, but cost and speed-to-market considerations caused the car to be redesigned as a front-engined, two-seat variant of the company’s mainstay DB9 model.

Bez, then newly on board at Aston, made the critical call, causing internal conflict with designers and engineers who strongly backed the mid-engined car.

At that time, Bez told AutoWeek that a “front-engined V8 Vantage was the only model that made any sense financially. Aston is a very small company, and it is not sensible to have two completely different body architectures.”

So what has changed? Most significant is that Aston’s business plan has been a huge success, with production up fivefold in five years. The company is now profitable, giving managers the freedom to take some calculated product and investment risks. Plus, one of the reasons for spinning Aston off was to give it access to a larger pot of capital expenditure. According to Aston insiders, Ford’s ongoing financial worries diverted funds from peripheral projects such as new Astons to bread-and-butter models better able to keep the Blue Oval afloat.

These factors, along with the fresh ideas of a new management team, point to the strong probability of a future mid-engined Aston.

Texan is the driving force behind Aston deal
    A Savile Row-attired Texan investment banker has emerged as the real powerhouse behind the successful bid for Aston Martin.

John Sinders, who co-owns a U.S. team that races DBR9s and is a friend of Dave Richards from Aston Martin’s GT racing program, made the first approach to Richards.

“John rang me up and said, ‘Hey, I’ve got this mad idea, why don’t we get together and bid for Aston Martin?’ ” said Richards.

At that point, back in late summer 2006, Sinders had an idea but no cash backing, but his business contacts in the Middle East, where he has a home in Dubai, produced results and investment. When a group of Saudi backers pulled out, Kuwaiti money filled the void, allowing the purchase to go forward with very little debt.

Because Sinders is a lifelong Aston fan with a collection of eight cars, including classics such as the DB3 and the DB4GT and modern models such as the Vanquish and the DB9 Volante, it’s easy to believe he has Aston’s best interests at heart.

He’s a strong advocate of the Kuwaitis’ desire for a long-term investment with Aston, a basic requirement for a successful car company. “You know, they’ve never sold an investment,” Sinders told AutoWeek.

Sinders, who has a minor financial stake in the company, will serve on Aston’s board and head U.S. distribution.

With two strong personalities like Richards and CEO Ulrich Bez running Aston day-to-day, some reckon Sinders’ biggest job will be keeping the two car nuts focused on the same targets.
    Few more details on this project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

It's a squashed Vanquish !

Mid-engined Aston? Could be interesting. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Visca Catalunya!

I am excited for this car. My question is what will the powerplant be?

this is probably another misleading conjecture about a new model.

the pictures remind me of when autocar chop some existing cars and then claim to have the definitive new look...
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Autoexpress has lost all credibility when they said a long time back that a new Supra would be coming.
    They also published rubbish about some V12 Cadillac.

As for the powerplant, it would have to be an expanded version of that Jaguar V8 in the Vantage. Their current V12 (developed from two Ford v6s) would probably not pass the emmissions test.

I hope they name it the Virage. What a nicely-engineered car it was!
    John Buffum was the man.

UCP's most violent member; a lump of destructive energy.

Quote Originally Posted by sunk View Post

I hope they name it the Virage. What a nicely-engineered car it was!

You got me thinking into what other words were there for Aston and vagina popped up. lol ~ I guess they better start looking out Vs, Rapide is a good start.

**Picture above** i can't believe the perfect front engine rear drive driven profile of AM could look so fugly when it's a midship. Now i see the similarity of that concept's layout with Ferrari's and suddenly felt enzo/F430/360's profile being fugly.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    You got me thinking into what other words were there for Aston and vagina popped up. lol ~ I guess they better start looking out Vs, Rapide is a good start.

**Picture above** i can't believe the perfect front engine rear drive driven profile of AM could look so fugly when it's a midship. Now i see the similarity of that concept's layout with Ferrari's and suddenly felt enzo/F430/360's profile being fugly.
    Rapide isn't exactly ground-breaking either, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Rapide isn't exactly ground-breaking either, though.
    Good, at least I can rest assure they're OK with reusing their car's mdoel names. I don't wanna see an Aston Martin V10 Vulva. or V6 Volcano
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Thread Information