Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Rate Your Car

Originally Posted by john14
    1982 Honda Civic

Made in Japan, Asia

10/10 for every category.
    Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    Somehow, I don't think it would rate a 10 for several things, like acceleration, ride, front/rear seat shoulder and hip room, rear leg room and luggage space, among other things.
    Fleet 500... obviously, you do not have any respect for the great old machines (cars) which were made in Japan, Asia. The arrogance of many Americans ensures you will never understand how brilliant old Japanese products are.... including cars.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Added pic's
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    Fleet 500... obviously, you do not have any respect for the great old machines (cars) which were made in Japan, Asia. The arrogance of many Americans ensures you will never understand how brilliant old Japanese products are.... including cars.
    Who's more arrogant?
    The one who assigns a "10" for his car for every single item (there is no such thing as a perfect car) or the one who calls him out on it?

"Great old cars" made in Japan, Asia? An '82 Honda Civic is a "great car?" Lol.
    Since when did econoboxes join the "great" category?
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Just a quick note to say that my car has just got made 300.000 kms without any major repairement

Quote Originally Posted by JRodrigues View Post
    Just a quick note to say that my car has just got made 300.000 kms without any major repairement
    you must be driving a Cadillac then...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Since I don't have a car I'll rate my dads 1994 Saturn SL1(on it's 2nd engine).

Styling -------------------------- 5
    Engine:
    Starting------------------- 7 (starts every time but take about 10 seconds of the key turned before the starter kicks in)
    Response/acceleration----- 3
    Fuel mileage--------------- 9
    Noise---------------------- 7
    Vibration------------------- 8
    KM 198,456

Drivetrain:
    Shift smoothness----------- 4 (Trans mission grinds when shifting between 1st and 2nd because my mom lets go of the clutch to quick)
    Transmission controls------- 4

Brakes:
    Response------------------- 6
    Pedal pressure-------------- 5
    Smoothness---------------- 1
    Directional stability---------- 5
    Fade resistance------------- 5

Steering:
    Response------------------- 10
    Accuracy------------------- 5
    Feedback------------------- 7
    Road feel------------------- 4

Suspension:
    Ride comfort---------------- 3
    Roll stiffness---------------- 3

Controls:
    Location-------------------- 6
    Relationship----------------- 6
    Small controls--------------- 4
    Instrument comprehensiveness--5
    Instrument legibility---------- 7

Interior:
    Visibility--------------------- 9
    Instrumentation-------------- 5
    Lighting---------------------- 4
    Entry/exit-------------------- 3 (hard to get in back seet when u are 6ft tall.)
    Storage space---------------- 4
    Wind noise-------------------- 1 (loud. seals are shot on windows and doors)
    Road noise-------------------- 1 (U can hear the road know matter what.)

Weather protection:
    Ventilation-------------------- 10
    Weather sealing--------------- 1
    Windshield wiper action-------- 9
    Heater/defroster/air cond.----- 5(NO AC)

Quality control:
    Materials, exterior-------------- 4
    Interior------------------------ 1 (the interior is shot)
    Exterior finish------------------- 4
    Interior finish------------------- 4
    Hardware and trim-------------- 8
    Sheet metal-------------------- 3(All plastic exept for the hood)
    Paint--------------------------- 2
    Upholstery---------------------- 9
    Padding------------------------- 4

General:
    Bumper protection-------------- 1
    Exterior lighting----------------- 8
    Resistance to crosswinds-------- 2
    Luggage space------------------ 3

Comfort:
    Steering wheel position---------- 7
    Shoulder room, front------------- 9
    Rear---------------------------- 1
    Hip room, front------------------- 9
    Rear---------------------------- 5
    Leg room, front------------------ 7
    Rear---------------------------- 1
    Headroom front/rear-------------- 5/5
    Seat design---------------------- 6
    Tran Am's Rule

I actually want Sledge's Zoom-Zoom mobile...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

I wouldn't say Jap makes were GREAT, mainly because they put more emphasis on motif rather than passion. But one thing's for sure, whatever they gave you, it's tried and tested. Not like how major European or American makes stuffing new technologies into their cars with the hope that a certain niche would get attracted, or to have a seemingly minor advantage over competitors.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    you must be driving a Cadillac then...
    Right!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    "Great old cars" made in Japan, Asia? An '82 Honda Civic is a "great car?" Lol.
    Since when did econoboxes join the "great" category?
    While I agree there's no such thing as a perfect car, a good econobox can be great. Because it's great for the purpose it was born. For example: the Cadillac is anything but great to drive. But it might be great to be driven in one. See?
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    While I agree there's no such thing as a perfect car, a good econobox can be great. Because it's great for the purpose it was born. For example: the Cadillac is anything but great to drive. But it might be great to be driven in one. See?
    But giving "10s" for things like ride, acceleration, luggage capacity and rear seat shoulder/hip/leg room is going a little overboard.

And where aren't Cadillacs great to drive? They make an excellent long-distance-driving car. Particularly out here in the western U.S. where there are still wide-open spaces like the desert areas.
    And a great car to drive in the general suburbs which is where I drive mine most of the time.
    Some people may find that they are actually easy to drive (unless you are driving on some very skinny lane or trying to park in a tiny spot.

Here is an example from a test of a '63 Coupe de Ville (Motor Trend, Jan., 1963)
    "On the road or in traffic, driving the Cadillac is a pleasure. Fingertip electronic adjustment of the seat through a wide range of height, distance, and tilt, plus six different steering wheel settings, puts any driver in a near-perfect stance to handle this 129" wheelbase car as if it were a compact."
    (The wheelbase was actually 129.5.")

But giving "10s" for things like ride, acceleration, luggage capacity and rear seat shoulder/hip/leg room is going a little overboard.
    It's your system FLeet, and so if for an owner the luggage space is as much as he/she has ever needed or plans to need then it rates a 10. Same with all the other things.

If I had 8 kids then even I might rate a Brougham as a 10 in some areas
    And where aren't Cadillacs great to drive?
    How short-term is your memory ?
    Done that one to death already !!!
    Here is an example from a test of a '63 Coupe de Ville (Motor Trend, Jan., 1963)
    "On the road or in traffic, driving the Cadillac is a pleasure. Fingertip electronic adjustment of the seat through a wide range of height, distance, and tilt, plus six different steering wheel settings, puts any driver in a near-perfect stance to handle this 129" wheelbase car as if it were a compact."
    (The wheelbase was actually 129.5.")
    So now the ability to use motors to move a seat into an ideal position makes it "handle" better or accelerate more or all the other things that matter.
    I find that once I've adjusted my seat I never touch it again !
    What did you think that quote was supposed to convey to us fellow UCPers ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    How short-term is your memory ?
    Done that one to death already !!!
    As someone who has driven a lot more Cadillacs than you have (if you have even driven a '60s or '70s Cadillac) I can honestly say: They are fun to drive!

So now the ability to use motors to move a seat into an ideal position makes it "handle" better or accelerate more or all the other things that matter.
    I find that once I've adjusted my seat I never touch it again !
    What did you think that quote was supposed to convey to us fellow UCPers ??
    No, it doesn't make it handle or accelerate better; it makes it easier to drive.
    As Car & Driver said in their 1965 road test of 6 luxury cars, "The steering wheel has ample, easy adjustment for both reach and rake, and with the wide range of adjustments possible in the six-way power seat, it's hard to imagine anyone who couldn't find a completely comfortable driving position. Unlike the Mercedes' seats, where you sit more-or-less where you were put, the Cadillac's are comfortable in almost any position."

I should also point out that most very short drivers could operate a Cadillac with no problem. My mom is only 4'11", and she could reach the brake and accelerator pedals and could see over the hood without needing a cushion to raise her up.
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 05-02-2007 at 05:13 PM.

As someone who has driven a lot more Cadillacs than you have (if you have even driven a '60s or '70s Cadillac) I can honestly say: They are fun to drive!
    Fine FLeet, but you're limited in having driven very little else.
    I've driven a lot more variety.
    After all THAT is what enables comparison.
    Driving the same things just generates fanboys
    No, it doesn't make it handle or accelerate better; it makes it easier to drive.
    As Car & Driver said in their 1965 road test of 6 luxury cars, "The steering wheel has ample, easy adjustment for both reach and rake, and with the wide range of adjustments possible in the six-way power seat, it's hard to imagine anyone who couldn't find a completely comfortable driving position. Unlike the Mercedes' seats, where you sit more-or-less where you were put, the Cadillac's are comfortable in almost any position."
    Excellent.
    WHERE the hell does it say EASIER ?
    Sitting more comfortably, fine, seeing more of the road, fine.... but it's still NOT "easy" to drive due to it's size, weight, handling and braking.
    Once in heaven you can try a Ferrari or Alpine or Jag or etc etc etc and realise what you missed out in life
    I should also point out that most very short drivers could operate a Cadillac with no problem. My mom is only 4'11", and she could reach the brake and accelerator pedals and could see over the hood without needing a cushion to raise her up.
    We've all seen the shots in the movies of grannies "seeing over the hood" --- looking THROUGH the steering wheel
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Fine FLeet, but you're limited in having driven very little else.
    I've driven a lot more variety.
    After all THAT is what enables comparison.
    Driving the same things just generates fanboys
    I have driven cars as small as my Sister-In-Law's '84 Toyota Camry (I didn't care for it- no power and too small and firm seats).
    I am a fan of both big U.S. luxury cars and '60s/early '70s muscle cars, so I would have to be a "fanboy" with a dual personality.

Excellent.
    WHERE the hell does it say EASIER ?
    Sitting more comfortably, fine, seeing more of the road, fine.... but it's still NOT "easy" to drive due to it's size, weight, handling and braking.
    Once in heaven you can try a Ferrari or Alpine or Jag or etc etc etc and realise what you missed out in life
    Right, there are not easy to drive; they are ridiculously easy to drive. (That's how one magazine described it.)
    I'll do what you suggest in heaven. And I'll have a '69 440 Charger R/T, a '70 Chevelle SS 454 LS-6 and a '70 Buick GSX 455 Stage 1 waiting for you!
    Actually, if I lived in Europe, at a location which had a lot of narrow roads, I would probably own some kind of smaller car and one large or at least mid-sized one, depending on availability.

We've all seen the shots in the movies of grannies "seeing over the hood" --- looking THROUGH the steering wheel
    She could see over the steering wheel because it tilted down and the seat could go up and down (power-operated, of course). Back when she was driving she would tell me stories of people in parking lots watching her park (her '70 Coupe de Ville). One guy saw her getting ready to pull into a relatively narrow slot between two other cars. He said to her, "Lady, you're not really going to try and park there?" My mom replied, "Sure, watch me." And she did, on the first try. He just stood there shaking his head.
    As I said, they are easy to drive and park (in reasonable places).

Thread Information