Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peugeot 406 Coupé as first car?

Peugeot 406 Coupé as first car?

I was looking for the ideal first car on an online classified ads website - I'll have my driving license within one year - when I found that. What do you think about it?

http://www.lacentrale.fr/occasion-de...6-4671618.html

I'd love to drive such a nice car for my 18th but I don't know anything about the upkeep costs, insurances and so on...

It's absolutely beautiful. And I think the running costs won't be very high, just like any other Peugeot, except perhaps the road tax and the insurance. I say do it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

They're astounding cars, and also very nice to drive (from what I've heard).

By all means, get one if you can. Watch out for insurance- the standard 406 is quite expensive, and the Coupé more so due to the more 'sporting' image. If you can get insured on a 2.0 model, then go right ahead. It won't be the fastest car on the block, but you can be damn sure it'll be faster than most and also a lot of fun to drive.

How on earth did you save enough money ! That is like 450 hours of dish washing/ burger flipping atleast, not even counting in the cost of weekends !

Anyway.. Even though it is an absolutely great car, IMO it is better to learn to drive in a small car. Think Saxo, Alto, 205/6 etcetera. This way you cheaply get a lot of experience and a dent here or there is not really a problem. That's what I do on purpose anyway... (though lack of money didnt help either)

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    How on earth did you save enough money ! That is like 450 hours of dish washing/ burger flipping atleast, not even counting in the cost of weekends !
    A very very long time ago, my parents had promised me they'd pay me a Twingo when I get my driving license. Since a Twingo is costs something like €7000, one or two month working at the factory (my mother works at Renault, she can easily get me a summer job) are enough to reach the €9000 required. I just hope that wasn't only words...

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117 View Post
    A very very long time ago, my parents had promised me they'd pay me a Twingo when I get my driving license. Since a Twingo is costs something like €7000, one or two month working at the factory (my mother works at Renault, she can easily get me a summer job) are enough to reach the €9000 required. I just hope that wasn't only words...
    Lucky BLEEP

I saved for 8 years !

find a 2.2 Hdi...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

If I could afford to insure a 406 Coupe at my/your age, I'd definatley go for it. I love the 406 Coupe
    My other signature has a V12

Just watch out for those kurbs..
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Get it. It's one of the most beautiful modern Peugeots. And you can laugh at the ugly 407 coupe.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

I looked at them when I was after my first car. I eventually came to the conclusion that I could only realistically afford to insure and run a 2.0 and given the cost of insurance and the fuel consumption, they're a bit heavy and slow.

Still a stunningly good looking car though, if that's what you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    the ugly 407 coupe.
    You must be joking...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    find a 2.2 Hdi...
    Diesel? Never!

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    I looked at them when I was after my first car. I eventually came to the conclusion that I could only realistically afford to insure and run a 2.0 and given the cost of insurance and the fuel consumption, they're a bit heavy and slow.
    Of course, but there is still the look. Insurance costs for young drivers are very dissuasive in France for fast cars.
    Last edited by Piacki_117; 05-13-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117 View Post
    You must be joking...
    That's what I thought. The 407 Coupé is beautiful in a totally different way.

Peugeot design FTW!
    And I think Pieter would be wise in suggesting a diesel, these are pretty hefty cars, the hdi would give you more low range grunt.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Thread Information