Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is that Thing in the Porsche 962

What is that Thing in the Porsche 962

Ok am a noob to engine layouts and need a little coach on things. In most cars there a rods that hook up to the drive wheels to make them spin. Now in LMP layouts there are enignes that have this extended piece of metal that is normally attached to the springs and shocks. So anyway it is a long extended piece of metal where the rods are attached so they can spin that wheels. Anybody know what that is?

can you link to an LMP engine picture on the site, to make it more understandable?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

For a 'noob' this might be the best question ever.

If you're talking about the piece of steel that connects the engine's torque directly to the wheel, you're talking about a halfshaft.

If by LMP you mean Le Mans Prototype — and I reckon that's what you mean — the halftshaft will bolt directly to either side of the rear differential, which is connected to the transmision, which is connected to the engine (bone - everybody sing along!). The haftshaft is basically an extension of the driveshaft, but it's split in half.

OK, I know your head is spinning. The driveshaft turns one way, at the speed determined by the engine. This single spinning motion has to be translated into forward motion via a pair of driven wheels.
    If we're talking about a car the only has to go in a straight line, there's no need to split the driveshaft in half. However, 'proper' cars need to turn.

(am I getting a little too Karndergarten here?)

That's why the differential is there. When a car turns, the wheel closest to the inside curb of the corner will rotate more slowly than the one on the outside. The differential is a soccer-ball sized device at the end of the driveshaft that is filled with rather clever gears that allow one halfshaft to turn at a slower speed while still transmitting near-100 percent of the driveshaft's power to the halfshafts...

And from there, it get really, really complicated with even bigger words like helical and torsen...

Best of luck to you, and I hope I've been of some help.

well, that is a good explanation of the drive shaft, but the question seems to be about a bar linking the wheels with the springs, and I very much doubt if that would be the drive shaft . I have looked at an engine pic of a 962 (see thread title) and I fail to understand what piece of metal the question is about, or it may just simply be the stabilising rod...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Looking at this pic and the previous one show the engine bay and suspension in great detail. Is it possible for you to copy one and mark it to show exactly what part you are interested in?

The shocks are connected to the upper suspension wishbone, and then that to the upright. There is no direct connection between the drive shaft and the shock.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    The shocks are connected to the upper suspension wishbone, and then that to the upright. There is no direct connection between the drive shaft and the shock.
    Instead there is a bearing there usually...

I think you'll appreciate this rather large pdf file I posted here before:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=32735

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    well, that is a good explanation of the drive shaft, but the question seems to be about a bar linking the wheels with the springs, and I very much doubt if that would be the drive shaft . I have looked at an engine pic of a 962 (see thread title) and I fail to understand what piece of metal the question is about, or it may just simply be the stabilising rod...
    You could be right... it might be the anti-roll bar, as we here in the colonies call it.

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail View Post
    You could be right... it might be the anti-roll bar, as we here in the colonies call it.
    not only in the colonies

Hisssssss!

Hisssssss!
    i think you should take all your posts on this site, merge them into one document, and sell it as a book.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i think you should take all your posts on this site, merge them into one document, and sell it as a book.
    called: The Arizona Desert Storm...

...(am I getting a little too Karndergarten here?)...
    beside the fact that it's called Kindergarten not Karndergarten -just a typing-mistake, i guess- it's amazing and surprising -and, er, bit weird- that an arkansas-hillbilly-boy knows the german word kindergarten!!
    as a german i can say that it's normal for us to mix english in the german common speach, but different way is a bit exceptional.

p.s.: wouldn't say it's kindergarten

b.t.w.: did you (all) know that there were 3 street legal versions of the 962? the dauer (porsche) 962 LM, the schuppan 962 and the koenig c62. see pictures in the attachments, first 2 showing the dauer, next 2 showing the schuppan, last 2 showing the koenig. and you know what? the dauer and the koenig are german, so nobody can tell germans can't go nuts

guess you already knowed it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (26.2 KB, 7 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (127.2 KB, 5 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (113.0 KB, 8 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (101.0 KB, 8 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (20.7 KB, 6 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (9.2 KB, 4 views)
    Last edited by Mäusekino; 05-25-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mäusekino View Post
    beside the fact that it's called Kindergarten not Karndergarten -just a typing-mistake, i guess- it's amazing and surprising -and, er, bit weird- that an arkansas-hillbilly-boy knows the german word kindergarten!!
    as a german i can say that it's normal for us to mix english in the german common speach, but different way is a bit exceptional.

p.s.: wouldn't say it's kindergarten
    here in the states we call our first year of school Kindergarten. it would suprise me if a third of america knew it was german, and probably less know what kinder and garten mean. but most everyone knows "kindergarten."
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    here in the states we call our first year of school Kindergarten. it would suprise me if a third of america knew it was german, and probably less know what kinder and garten mean. but most everyone knows "kindergarten."
    Children and garden.

But I'm in German III in school.

Mausekino: how is "Karndergarten" the german word for "Kindergarten" when "Kindergarten" is in fact two German words? This isn't a smart ass question, I'm legitimately interested.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Here is the picture i've been talking about.[
    If the link doesn't work then go to Racing Cars then to Group C and it is under the Porsche 962C area. There is a picture where it shows the engine, there is a small radiator on top as well as two springs.

Thread Information