Thread: How to become an American Lemans Driver

How to become an American Lemans Driver

I am young and very interested in becoming a Lemans Driver but do anybody know the steps of becoming an American LeMans Racer?

Start racing, if very young try Karting or the like.

Read the Speed Secrets books by Ross Bentley and win lots of races
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Since one of my friends raced karts from a very young age I have seen some of the steps. Basically start karting and get to the best possible level and win. When you are about 14-16 you can enter one of the small Formula classes, for example Formula Ford. From then onwards it is mostly luck and money. My friend got stuck at the Formula Ford 2000 even though he finished 4rd in the championship in his debut year in Formula racing. Why ? They didn't have the money... The teams in Formula Renault usually want the driver to pay a substantial amount of money.

A wrong decision at a young age (around 8 y/o) meant the difference between him in the F1 or on the workfloor of a factory as is now. He had Kimi Raikkonen as a team mate for a while (yes I met him too ). When he quit the PdB team he basically lost a huge sponsor, which could have made his career.

Luck,money and practice are usually the key ingredients.

So this goes for Formula 1 and American Le Mans and what is the least that American Le Mans Drivers and Formula 1 drivers get paid.

Depends. If you want big money though, you're going to need to come high up in points. Low positions throughout the season can result in you being let-go.

ALMS though, is 1 series where you'll have to get a little friendly with, probably, a GTS team. All the LMP teams pretty much know who they won't, and Audi, of course , only hires the finest.

The GT teams are the same, pretty much, since it's just Aston and Chevy there.

I would most likely bet, if you were to start an ALMS career, you'd end up with a Panoz team. But despite all this, you're going to need money, and you're most definately going to need skill.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

I'll tell you how to get into a top echelon racing series if you tell me how I can date Heidi Klum.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    I'll tell you how to get into a top echelon racing series if you tell me how I can date Heidi Klum.
    Chloroform.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Money opens many doors.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalifrajasexi View Post
    So this goes for Formula 1 and American Le Mans and what is the least that American Le Mans Drivers and Formula 1 drivers get paid.
    If you want big money in cars, do an Automotive Engineering degree (like me).. I have seen pretty nice amounts of starter wages at the German manufacturers(development)...

Anyway. Most of the F1 drivers pay for their seat. Take the Dutch drivers. AFAIK they pay multiple millions a year for a seat (around 5 million). If you are lucky enough and reach a nice position you might make some money out of it. Then offcourse you will need to perform well...

Send a job application per e-mail to all of the teams.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Anyway. Most of the F1 drivers pay for their seat. Take the Dutch drivers. AFAIK they pay multiple millions a year for a seat (around 5 million). If you are lucky enough and reach a nice position you might make some money out of it. Then offcourse you will need to perform well...
    No. The drivers all get paid like at least a million odd dollars (There are figures in one of my old F1 mags), KR makes 52 mill I think, and the Dutch drivers get paid as well butare there as tehy bring in sponsorship money.

Racing is dumb in that money is a key ingredient to sucess - in every other sport you suceed on talent alone except for racing. It is a pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    No. The drivers all get paid like at least a million odd dollars (There are figures in one of my old F1 mags), KR makes 52 mill I think, and the Dutch drivers get paid as well butare there as tehy bring in sponsorship money.

Racing is dumb in that money is a key ingredient to sucess - in every other sport you suceed on talent alone except for racing. It is a pity.
    But if you have no talent in driving whatsoever and have all the luck in the world good luck in winning the championship in which you are competing.

You still need talent, it's just that you need the money to get yourself noticed too.

For the GT classes you need an FIA Class C licence, which I think you can get from getting a certain number of kilometres testing.

But if you're under 16, then start some karting.
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 05-27-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalifrajasexi View Post
    I am young and very interested in becoming a Lemans Driver but do anybody know the steps of becoming an American LeMans Racer?
    1. Buy a kart
    2. Practice until you can out-run Michael Schumacher
    3. Get drafted into F1
    4. Race for 10 years
    5. Retire
    6. Ask contacts developed from racing career and work from there.

You want an easier route?

1. get a car and race.
    2. If you're good enough, then build up some contacts and work from there.
    Last edited by kingofthering; 05-27-2007 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typoooo
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information