Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New California Laws effective 7/1/07

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    That's a dick move on the cop's part though.
    I would say so, most cars have analog guages that show 5 or 10 MPH increments. How is a driver supposed to read a 3 MHP difference unless they have a digital speedometer?

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    IMO DUI fines can never be high enough. Even so called mildly drunk drivers can and have ruined peoples lives.

I was gonna ask the same thing.

IMO Americans are decent drivers.
    You're very wise, oh great Hector. One of my good friends DUI's alot, and part of me hopes she hits a curb or something and gets caught, to set her straight. I mean think of all the charges...DUI, MIP, I'm sure a minor just being under the influence is a charge...it would straighten her out really quick. But then I don't want to see that happen to a friend.

And i think under 18's being exempt from seatbelt is retarded and dangerous.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

I would say so, most cars have analog guages that show 5 or 10 MPH increments. How is a driver supposed to read a 3 MHP difference unless they have a digital speedometer?
    Plus, even then, there's an understood cushion zone. I mean 3mph over the speed limit is perfectly acceptable. On the freeways in non-work zones 15 is usually perfectly fine. But 1mph? Come on...

Oh shit...i misread 0.6 mph as 0.6kph but I was just making a joke anyway, so lets not get too excited.

That's a dick move on the cop's part though.
    Nah I'm not fazed about it . Btw it was a speed camera. Booking motorists for exceeding the limit by such miniscule amounts makes you think about a couple of things:

speedo accuracy (AU regs merely require a +/- accuracy of within 10% of true speed)
    drivers concentrating on the bloody speedo instead of the road

You're very wise, oh great Hector. One of my good friends DUI's alot, and part of me hopes she hits a curb or something and gets caught, to set her straight. I mean think of all the charges...DUI, MIP, I'm sure a minor just being under the influence is a charge...it would straighten her out really quick. But then I don't want to see that happen to a friend.
    I hope someone talks some sence into your friend soon. Before she pays a dear price.

Retarded I agree, dangerous...how so?

Plus, even then, there's an understood cushion zone. I mean 3mph over the speed limit is perfectly acceptable. On the freeways in non-work zones 15 is usually perfectly fine. But 1mph? Come on...
    Think of it this way Colin, no need for speed traps anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Nah I'm not fazed about it . Btw it was a speed camera. Booking motorists for exceeding the limit by such miniscule amounts makes you think about a couple of things:

speedo accuracy (AU regs merely require a +/- accuracy of within 10% of true speed)
    drivers concentrating on the bloody speedo instead of the road
    Wooow that sucks, reminds me of when my friend and I were in his truck (diesel, lots of torque, and decently fast for a truck) and they had a speed radar set up with a screen showing your speed, no camera, just a radar, and the limit was 30, we got it to read 68mph

Delinquent and juvenile, I know, but hey, you're only a kid so long. And I'd never have done that in my truck, just in case there WAS a camera

My wife got fined in the Netherlands for doing 0.6 mph over the speed limit (101 km/h in a 100 zone)
    That is very strict.
    The police out here usually will let drivers get away with 5 or even 10 mph over the speed limit.

Someone driving 70 mph on the freeway (65 mph speed limit) will never get pulled over. Even at 75, they probably won't because a lot people drive that speed anyway. Over 75, then you taking your chances.

On the streets, going 40 mph in a 35 mph zone won't get you pulled over. Even 45, depending on the police officer.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

My wife got fined in the Netherlands for doing 0.6 mph over the speed limit (101 km/h in a 100 zone)
    Really? That feels bad for dutchies. Here you have to be at least 10km/h above the speed limit to get a ticked, and if the speed limit is above 100km/h, then you have to surpass the spee limit by 10% to get a ticket. So in other words you have to go over 132km/h to get a tickes in our motorways (speed limit, 120km/h).

And in Italy it's impossible to get a ticket, no matter what you do...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Wooow that sucks, reminds me of when my friend and I were in his truck (diesel, lots of torque, and decently fast for a truck) and they had a speed radar set up with a screen showing your speed, no camera, just a radar, and the limit was 30, we got it to read 68mph
    There was a similar speed readout on the Hume hwy years ago, furnished only for checking your speedo accuracy, no fine

Bt the cops eventually had to limit the speed readout after publicity when a bikie got it up to 260km/h .. it got to be a bit of a competition among motorists to get the highest recorded speed

I suppose she was actually measured at 105, because they give you 4 km correction all the time. It is still strict, but not as strict as you think it is....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

There was a similar speed readout on the Hume hwy years ago, furnished only for checking your speedo accuracy, no fine

Bt the cops eventually had to limit the speed readout after publicity when a bikie got it up to 260km/h .. it got to be a bit of a competition among motorists to get the highest recorded speed
    If you do go to court and say you used that as a speedo calibration unit the judge will tell you it is "well known" to be inaccurate...
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

I'm happy to hear about those laws. Except for the speeding thing. I just wih the US took a lesson from the Germans and created a lot of road laws and abolished speed limits. Then I could really see what my M6 could do . . .

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroMan View Post
    im ok with cell phones...
    Driving can be very dangerous and you should use all of your concentration on driving. When you're too busy yelling at someone else I don't think you're driving anymore.

In general I agree, however I drive fine while talking, mostly because I make sure that the conversation comes second to driving, which most suburban driving soccer moms don't.
    Right.

I've seen some scary stuff when people drive with cell phones, and I'm not even driving yet. I'm still a passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Either way, driving with one hand, you are not as capable as you are when driving with two. In regular situations it may be okay, but, if something bad happens, lives may depend on your control of the wheel.

It's a good law.
    Yes, as I said before, you should use all of your concentration.

IMO Americans are decent drivers, I don't know how people drive in Belgium, but in Mexico over 70% of drivers are too agresive if not dangerous.
    I don't think drivers are any "better" in any other place. People may be in different areas, but that doesn't mean that they think differently.

It's not like you find a different species of human.

I think seatbelt laws still exist for 18 and younger, it's just that they haven't updated it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And in Italy it's impossible to get a ticket, no matter what you do...
    What do you mean by that?

Thread Information