Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official UCP 2007 Gas/Petrol Base Model Full-Size Luxury Car Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I don't see what's wrong with Lexus Fleet 500. For the price it does very well in performance and though it is not as big as the town car it is quicker and likely handles better. If I had to take my pick, I'd probably take the Lexus because I am more of a performance enthusiast. For space though, the TC cannot be beat. It all depends what you are looking for. I also would wager that some of the more expensive European cars probably have nicer interiors than the TC.
    The thing is when it comes to luxury cars like those usually performance isn't that important, altough it's always nice to have some. The Lexus is impressive, but then again it has a 380bhp V8 engine, the most powerful of the comparison by quite a margin, so it's not that surprising that it's the fastest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    I agree. I wasn't referring to Jaguar. I meant "luxury" cars like Lexus, Acura, Infiniti and in some cases BMW and Volvo.

Remember, I did say IMO (in my opinion) and I don't lean on the door handles when I corner, one arm is on the steering wheel and one is usually on the armrest.
    Well the BMW's are more of sports saloons than luxury saloons, and as a result they appeal to a different audience. Kitdy would probably like them very much.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 07-01-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

All of the cars you listed are going to be picked by someone; it depends on the person.
    The Town Cars do have a nice interior, especially the L-Series, and a good buy costing around $45-50,000 compared to $80,000+ of some European models. A nicer interior is not worth $30,000 to me!
    I can see where you are coming from. Is it really worth it to pay sop much more for better performance, a smaller car and a slightly better interior? I think a lot of people who buy these cars buy them for the badge ie.. BMW or M-B or Audi or whatever and they don't want to drive a "plain old" LTC. Mind you, when you get into higher luxury classes such as S8s, 760is, and S65 AMGs, the European cars are simply better as America simply has no answer to this - so the people with the money to buy an S500 or S8 or whatever aren't going to buy an TC or DTS even thought they may be better value for money;these people don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The thing is when it comes to luxury cars like those usually performance isn't that important, altough it's always nice to have some. The Lexus is impressive, but then again it has a 380bhp V8 engine, the most powerful of the comparison by quite a margin, so it's not that surprising that it's the fastest.

Well the BMW's are more of sports saloons than luxury saloons, and as a result they appeal to a different audience. Kitdy would probably like them very much.
    Yeah, the Lexus really wasn't in the same power class as the rest but I included it as it was much cheaper than say the S350 and because it represents Lexus' entry level car.

I can see where you are coming from. Is it really worth it to pay sop much more for better performance, a smaller car and a slightly better interior? I think a lot of people who buy these cars buy them for the badge ie.. BMW or M-B or Audi or whatever and they don't want to drive a "plain old" LTC. Mind you, when you get into higher luxury classes such as S8s, 760is, and S65 AMGs, the European cars are simply better as America simply has no answer to this - so the people with the money to buy an S500 or S8 or whatever aren't going to buy an TC or DTS even thought they may be better value for money;these people don't care.
    I wouldn't be so sure. What about the STS-V?
    Visca Catalunya!

I wouldn't be so sure. What about the STS-V?
    Not the same class.

Not the same class.
    I'd say it is in a similar class to the S8, 760i and S63 AMG. At least performance wise. Then again the Quattroporte reigns supreme there, and if you really want a real luxury saloon you can always buy the Arnage.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'd say it is in a similar class to the S8, 760i and S63 AMG. At least performance wise. Then again the Quattroporte reigns supreme there, and if you really want a real luxury saloon you can always buy the Arnage.
    I thought it was an M5 competitor...

I thought it was an M5 competitor...
    That's the CTS-V isn't it? The STS is bigger, I think.
    Visca Catalunya!

From Wikipedia:
    In North America, the STS is positioned between the mid-size CTS and larger DTS and competes with the Acura RL, BMW 5 Series, Infiniti M, Lexus GS and Mercedes-Benz E-Class, while in Europe it is Cadillac's largest sedan and competes with the Audi A8, BMW 7 Series, Jaguar XJ, Lexus LS and Mercedes-Benz S-Class.
    The V is 197 odd inches long. That means it is comparable to some of the cars here but the DTS is bigger - so Cadillac has nearly two full-sized sedans. Weird.

Some of the "other" luxury cars just don't have the interior width.
    how to qualify a Hummer H2 as a luxury car...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The rear compartment of the Lincoln L-series is very nice. Take a look below:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

why did you for the European cars in this listing only choose the V6 versions? All of them are available with V8s too.....they might be more expensive in the USA but that is slightly irrelevant as the price situation on Europe is totally different.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

From Wikipedia:

The V is 197 odd inches long. That means it is comparable to some of the cars here but the DTS is bigger - so Cadillac has nearly two full-sized sedans. Weird.
    Well the DTS is being discontinued, and the STS will remain as Cadillac's flagship. I suppose it will grow with next generation, since the CTS has grown too.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac...ts-or-sts.html
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    how to qualify a Hummer H2 as a luxury car...
    Bus...?
    Visca Catalunya!

The rear compartment of the Lincoln L-series is very nice. Take a look below:
    I don't particularly like that interior Fleet 500...

To each their own though.

You got it exactly right when you said many people buy those cars for the badge.

In fact, one of my brothers says that Porsche tests its new updates on its cars by the public. In other words, they don't do extensive testing in a lab or factory, but just release it and see how it works. They know they will sell a lot of cars because of the "Porsche" name.
    He read this on a message board, so I don't know how accurate it is. But I wouldn't be surprised.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Thread Information